Nowind MSX emulator announced

by snout on 28-12-2005, 18:16
Topic: Emulation

Aaldert Dekker and Jan Wilmans have announced what several MSX users might already have known: they are working on a new MSX emulator called Nowind. Although little is known about the (unique?) features of this emulator, a first announcement was made on their website. The emulator is used to develop drivers for the MSX USB Interface, whilst the knowledge gained by developing both Nowind and the MSX USB Interface might also lead to an implementation of an MSX compatible DiskROM in CBIOS.

Relevant link: MyQuest

By Sama

Ambassador (2061)

Sama's picture

29-12-2005, 17:17

An important sidenote on this emulator may be that every single part of it was developed from scratch and is optimized as well as possible. At least as far as I know Wink

By mars2000you

mars2000you's picture

29-12-2005, 19:38

More than for slingshot, the new openMSX front-end, it's difficult to give an opinion about a non-yet released emulator ... So, I'll wait until then as many other developers and users of emulators !

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9845)

wolf_'s picture

29-12-2005, 20:59

from the website:

"You can see a working prototype at this stand, we will be happy to demonstrate it if you ask for it."

uhm, on which fair exactly? The one in Nijmegen by any chance?

By mars2000you

mars2000you's picture

29-12-2005, 21:38

Ehmm ... the prototype concerns the MSX USB interface, not the emulator ...

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9845)

wolf_'s picture

29-12-2005, 21:43

hmyeahwell.. doesn't change a thing to the fact that we don't know which fair (at least which stand/table) they're talking about..

By mars2000you

mars2000you's picture

29-12-2005, 21:49

Indeed ! More info should probably come in the near future ...

By Sky_hawk

Sky_hawk's picture

30-12-2005, 01:32

Sorry for all the confusion, I will update the website soon.

The crap on the website is copied directly from a piece of paper that I wanted to put down on a stand at Bussum 2005.
Unfortunately the usb-interface did not work when I arrived at bussum, so I never put out the news Sad

The nowind-emulator is indeed writtin from scratch.
We implemented every part z80, psg, vdp, scc from scratch.
So it is in no aspect like any other existing emulator. Why another emulator? Just because we wanted to see if we could do it.. Smile It does not yet have a nice GUI like for instance bluemsx so, I don't really think a release would be any good at this point. It is however multi-platfrom, tested on windows, linux, sunOs, Bsd and macOsX sofar.
Things implemented: all basic MSX2 hardware, cpu, psg, scc, clockchip, dos2 etc.. nothing spectacularly different than any other emulator here, although we do have a few nice scalers (althouth some could argue, I personally do not think they are any better then openMSX scalers though).
Not implemented: fm-pac, msx-audio, moonsound, lots of mega-roms missing.

So why this crappy emulator :? again: because we like working on it Smile And to has become a tool for us to develop our usb-interface drivers, which is very handy Smile We have an emulated version of the usb-interface working in our emulator, so we can develop drivers without having all hardware finshed.

Talking about the usb-interface, I will post a new message there too, read on...

Greetings,

Jan

30-12-2005, 11:16

Sky_hawk: you're still most welcome to reserve a stand for the Nijmegen 2006 fair on January the 14th!

By Sky_hawk

Sky_hawk's picture

30-12-2005, 17:02

Manuel: thanks, I would like to, but it's my sisters birthday that weekend, so I cant!

02-01-2006, 12:05

Well, your partner (in crime?) is also welcome Smile (Aaldert)