DMK Creator 4.8

DMK Creator 4.8

by ro on 01-06-2017, 07:35
Topic: Software

When original MSX software is being published, it is not uncommen to include some kind of copy protection to prevent piracy. One of those is in the form of a protected disk. As a side effect, running these original disks in these modern days of computer emulation, has been difficult. Enter DMK images. These disk images preserve the disk and its protection and let it run on MSX emulators. DMK Creator is the go-to tool to rip those protected disks to a disk image. DMK Creator has just been updated to version 4.8.

This MSX tool lets you create an DMK image of a protected disk using direct access to the hardware. And after that, you can use the emulator OpenMSX to run the disk image. Although it supports 2 disk drives and many mass storage devices, it is able to use just one disk drive.

If you don't have a mass storage device, you will need 2 formatted disks to receive the DMK file. The file will be split into to 2 files (DEMO.DM1 and DEMO.DM2), one for each floppy disk. In the end, use the tool "File Joiner" to create one DMK file (DEMO.DMK).

New in DMK Creator version 4.8

1 - Totally new detection routine to deal with more protected disks.
2 - Option to create Log files for each track.
3 - Bugs fixed.

Relevant link: Download DMK Creator 4.8

Media browser (2)

• DMK Creator 4.8
  • DMK Creator 4.8

By iamweasel2

iamweasel2's picture

03-06-2017, 03:04

Good to know there's a new version available. Are there anything still planned to be added / fixed to this tool?

By cbsfox

cbsfox's picture

02-06-2017, 04:34

Not for now. Enjoy it.

By hashem

Supporter (13)

hashem's picture

02-06-2017, 18:53

there is msx mpilation disks not working in the all emulators,,i think the disks has strong protection.

by the way i bought them original disks i wanna try it with dmk

By cbsfox

cbsfox's picture

02-06-2017, 19:18

Yes, please, do that. Let me know about the results.

By hamlet

hamlet's picture

02-06-2017, 23:00

Tested the tool today with copying Glodia and Stitching Sunrise disk, all of them seem to work properly, even Testament passed the test.
After the versions update disaster, I was not sure to wait for further versions, but this runs very smooth and fast as you pronounced.
Nice! Thank you!
If the weather turns bad this weekend, I have to copy a huge amount of disks, so this will ease my work noticeably.

By cbsfox

cbsfox's picture

03-06-2017, 00:07

Cool. DMK Creator is the real deal. It copies every MSX disk ever created.
If it does not, my name is not Marcos Blanco
Enjoy the future! Smile

03-06-2017, 00:10

hamlet: be careful a bit: this is still beta software. So, don't put effort in dumping hundreds of disks without trying one-by-one whether they run OK.... and if they don't please report a.s.a.p. about the problem... AFAIK there is still one or two known issues in this version. They might only pop up with some very complex copy protections, but still.

Which exact disks did you try?

By cbsfox

cbsfox's picture

03-06-2017, 02:30

Nooooooo.... It indeed copies everything. Go ahead or my name is Manuel

By hamlet

hamlet's picture

03-06-2017, 11:20

Weather will be fine these days, so I will not be able to try more.
I copied Testament from Basho House. I´d remember Testament had a mean copy protection, you only noticed after playing a while until you need to insert disk two. That worked so far. Also Frantic did ok (and I tested a lot, this game is so addicted, I couldn´t stop) and Akin seems to work (but I didn´t played too much).
I´d copied the disks to images on real 720´s and back and on hdd and back.
@Manuel Yes, I´m beware, sure there will be a 4.9 final improve release.

By cbsfox

cbsfox's picture

03-06-2017, 15:17

There will be 4.9, 5.0 until 22.9. It does not matter. It will be just an improvement.

But 4.8 already copies everything.

Enjoy it.

By hamlet

hamlet's picture

03-06-2017, 15:23

Version 22.9 will be the final?
I´m just kidding! DMK is already a great tool. As you requested the community, it needs testing. I agree that one person couldn´t do all the tests, especially there are a lot copy protection methods and a bunch of different hardware to test on.
Even Microsoft let the testing be done by customers...

By cbsfox

cbsfox's picture

03-06-2017, 18:05

Exactly. We need more tests. So, go ahead. There are so many different computers and disk controllers.
And lots of protected disks.
So, let's test the tool.

By cbsfox

cbsfox's picture

03-06-2017, 18:06

And lots of protected disks.
So, let's test the tool.

By hashem

Supporter (13)

hashem's picture

05-06-2017, 00:20

hi,

if i have only 1 drive for msx ....can you make dmk tool copy more that 8 track once

By cbsfox

cbsfox's picture

05-06-2017, 05:03

Hi,

It depends on the size of the memory mapper or megaram you have installed.
I, for example, have a megaram cartridge with 2 megas, and it reads the disk in one step.

So, just attach to the computer an extra memory.

Regards
Marcos Daniel

By Tolvatar

Tolvatar's picture

05-06-2017, 10:13

Megaflash SCC is one of the mass storage devices supported?

By cbsfox

cbsfox's picture

06-06-2017, 19:51

Yes, I use it.

By Tolvatar

Tolvatar's picture

06-06-2017, 23:06

Nice.
Then i use It to rip my few disks.
Thanks

By cbsfox

cbsfox's picture

07-06-2017, 02:40

Yes, please. Let me know about the results.

By hashem

Supporter (13)

hashem's picture

08-06-2017, 04:53

i dump msx collection(4 disks) disk1 by dmk creator v4.8 ,,,,the disk contain 8 games,,,,7 games only run in openmsx and 1 game not run.

i run the original disk in real computer that all 8 games run.

By cbsfox

cbsfox's picture

08-06-2017, 07:49

Thnaks for your report. Version 5.0 is coming...

My MSX profile