Earlier this year, Kai Magazine surprised us with the release of their Illusion City Mega-CD introdemo for 64kB MSX2 Because of large sized ROM cartridges and mass storage devices, it's possible to create visuals on MSX never seen before.

Following the release of this demo, Kai Magazine are now on a mission to present to you Kai's Rage: The System Saver Legend, an old school Beat'em Up in the true spirit of games such as Double Dragon, River City Ransom, Kunio Kun, Streets of Rage and Final Fight!

It is a multiplatform game and for MSX it will be developed in screen 8, supporting OPL4 and therefore will feature beautiful graphics and sounds. A game demo was already presented at the latest Barcelona MSX Users Reunion.

On the Kai Magazine Facebook page we read that the game will appear on STEAM, a popular game distributing platform, and that it has been greenlit by the community!

To secure the release of this game, the developers need funding and thus they put the project up on Kickstarter right here The more you support, the better your reward. You can even make it to a game character! The funding ends on August 30 2015.

The game is being discussed on our forums right here

Relevant links: Kai's Rage: The System Saver Legend on STEAM and Kickstarter

By riquet

Master (166)

riquet's picture

18-08-2015, 16:00

Kickstarter ? Why not, but imho the objectives are unrealizable.
Good luck, I hope to be wrong Wink

By ray2day

ray2day's picture

28-08-2015, 17:26

Project this, project that... Don't get me wrong, I certainly support every effort to create new MSX games. But last years I hear more talking and announcements than that I see programming / or games!

(sorry; I know programming it's a lot of work. and i personally also did not finish some games, but that was because of memory issues / working on MSX BASIC limits, so i am learning c. no offend to the people who DO work their ass off to indeed make great MSX games).

By syn

Paragon (1937)

syn's picture

29-08-2015, 11:26

Well the main point of announcing unfinished projects is to gauge interest. Going under water during the entire project may not be that motivating or even downright frustrating ("Why the hell am I doing this???"), while feedback /praise can be. So imho its perfectly natural and okay.

By konamiman

konamiman's picture

31-08-2015, 04:21

Whoa whoa whoa... two weeks to get 20k€? Why such a rush?? I didn't even have the opportunity to back the project (I'm traveling right now and don't use the computer vey much).

Anyway, I wish the project finally succeds, and I wonder who is the 2000€ backer that will get its own playable character in the game! Smile

By syn

Paragon (1937)

syn's picture

31-08-2015, 10:30

The Kickstarter was already launched on the 17th of July, it just took a while for a newspost to be submitted or written I guess Big smile

By Daemos

Daemos's picture

31-08-2015, 17:36

I watched the youtube video about this project. Are you seriously planning on moving huge software sprites in screen8? If you succeed, please share with us the knowledge of your research, many other awesome games could come from this.

By syn

Paragon (1937)

syn's picture

31-08-2015, 18:22

afaik the action part will be screen 5, only the "rpg part" will be screen 8.

By ARTRAG

ARTRAG's picture

01-09-2015, 09:14

Hmm kickstarter funding missed the target
Will the game be cancelled or the project will simply be reduced in size and number of ports ?

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

04-09-2015, 22:07

There's a lot of info in the comments of the Spanish version of this post. Game will not be cancelled.