In 1988, Konami published a brilliant puzzle/action game called King's Valley II for MSX1 and MSX2 machines. It was pretty unique in that it came with a level editor that allowed players to create and share custom levels. Today, Beasty Bytes released a new tool to edit these levels on Windows computers.

This new tool allows you to explore custom stages, scroll/zoom in and out, and export your levels to level-map files. And, just for fun, you can check out what your levels would look like in some other classic Konami themes. Check out the website to see how that would look like. Future plans reveal even more new options.

The latest version can be found at Beasty Bytes - King's Valley Spy.

Media browser (5)

• King's Valley II - Level Spy V1.0 released
  • King's Valley II - Level Spy V1.0 released
  • King's Valley II - Level Spy V1.0 released
  • King's Valley II - Level Spy V1.0 released
  • King's Valley II - Level Spy V1.0 released

By Grauw

Grauw's picture

12-01-2017, 22:59

Very awesome! I had a lot of fun creating KVII levels when I was young, great game. Need to see if I can still find them (should be somewhere on a disk!) and try them out in this tool.

By Graham

Supporter (13)

Graham's picture

13-01-2017, 08:12

Thanks Grauw.

The Spy comes with a number of levels already included, and the website links to more awesome levels to download from other users. Let me know if you ever put your levels online and I'll link to them as well Wink

Regs,

Perhaps you could even try to make a Web/JS version (Emscripten)? Tongue
And perhaps interface it with WebMSX for uber-awesomeness? Cool Hannibal

By Graham

Supporter (13)

Graham's picture

13-01-2017, 13:48

Thanks guys. Great ideas.
I should have a first fully functional editor in a couple of weeks.

By sd_snatcher

sd_snatcher's picture

14-01-2017, 16:25

@Graham

Quote:
  • Set backgrounds*

(*) If this turns out to be possible within the ELG format Wink

The original games don't support backgrounds (AKA "Themes") to be set. But this enhancement patch enables this feature and allows some "new" themes by cross-combining the palettes between the themes resulting in 32 combinations.

By Graham

Supporter (13)

Graham's picture

14-01-2017, 23:48

@sd_snatcher

Very interesting!

I know the original editor didn't allow these kinds of settings, but I'm finding a lot of areas in the ELG file that suggest that Konami only included a cut-down version of their level editor in the game and had a more expansive editor to create their own game levels with (which makes sense).

It also looks like the ELG file is a direct mapping of actual game stages in memory, because I'm finding placeholders that look like space for in-game variables (updated sprite positions etc).

So I'm still hoping to decode some of the 'dead' areas of the ELG file: addresses that cannot be set thru the in-game editor but which are included in the ELG file non-the-less. Maybe some of these addresses could influence how the edit stages are loaded and presented?

By Graham

Supporter (13)

Graham's picture

20-01-2017, 14:01

I've put a link up to a beta of the full editor. So far it appears to work with openMSX. If there's anyone able to try the generated levels (for instance the included betatst3.elg file that more or less tests all combi's) on a real MSX, I'd be very grateful.

By nitrofurano

Master (167)

nitrofurano's picture

22-01-2017, 14:22

is it supposed to run this way?

By Graham

Supporter (13)

Graham's picture

24-01-2017, 14:40

Hi Nitrofurano,

Thanks for giving the new Spy a try. It's not supposed to look like that, no Wink It looks like the graphics directory can't be found.

Are you perhaps trying to start the executable from inside the zip-file? It will only run correctly after you extract it.

If it looks this way even after extraction, have you changed the internal structure of the game content? Let me know if you get it working.

By nitrofurano

Master (167)

nitrofurano's picture

25-01-2017, 12:56

hi, Graham! yw!
i always extract everything before running
perhaps the graphics filenames are somehow in reverse case as from the code? it is actually weird, since i think Wine is not case-sensitive

By Graham

Supporter (13)

Graham's picture

25-01-2017, 18:28

I've only run it on real windows Crying All the gfx filenames are lowercase, but the gfx subdir the exe looks for is "AppData". I don't think it will work if the extracted directory name isn't in that correct case, as windows is case sensitive. Is it possible to rename to the correct directory case inside Wine? Most programs would probably need that anyway... odd.

Either way, this is a strong case for me putting everything in lower case for the next release, just to make things easier, so let me know how you get on. Also, I don't get any notifications from this forum, but if you leave a message on beastybytes.blogspot.com I'll usually find it within the hour Wink

By Samor

Samor's picture

07-02-2017, 06:57

Nice tool; thanks, Graham Smile

By Graham

Supporter (13)

Graham's picture

07-02-2017, 11:05

Thanks Samor, let me know how you get on with it Wink

I just released the V2.0 version of the King's Valley Spy, it's now a full level editor with a host of extra features to help make creating levels even more fun.

I've also put up a movie on how to use the editor and a playthru of a pretty tricky level which I managed to create with the Spy in less than 15 minutes. Hope that helps.

HowTo
Demo of Level GP2727

I'm currently adding the ability to run through the level with the player character while you're designing the level. I'll probably only add brick/ladder interactions and jumps, tho.

My MSX profile