MSX represented at the Atlanta VCF

MSX represented at the Atlanta VCF

by Maggoo on 04-03-2013, 22:11
Topic: Events
Tags: vintage, Retro

Since 1997, there has been held a Vintage Computer Festival (VCF) in the USA yearly, with some editions in Europe as well. VCF's main mission is to promote the preservation of "obsolete" computers by allowing visitors to experience the technologies, people and stories that embody the remarkable tale of the computer revolution.

This year the festival will be held in Atlanta, on April 20th and 21st, and this year MSX will be represented for the very first time. The MSX booth at the event will be hosted by MRC regulars SkyeWelse and Maggoo. They will have a presentation retracing the history of the MSX over the last 30 years, some MSX hardware on display and software to play with for the public to discover the great standard they missed on. If you are in the area, make sure you attend and pay them a visit!

Relevant link: Vintage Computer Fest 2013

By djh1697

djh1697's picture

10-03-2013, 01:10

Looking forward to seeing the photo shots!

By Vampier

Vampier's picture

10-03-2013, 05:28

Smile cool... wrong side of the US though for me

By SkyeWelse

SkyeWelse's picture

10-03-2013, 05:47

Thanks, we'll take plenty of pictures. : ) We plan on getting two tables for the event and between Maggoo and myself, we should have several monitor displays setup for either hands-on MSX software or video/power-point presentations and four MSX units on display. This was our original idea for one table, but now that we have two we can expand and space things out a bit more.

Anyhow, the main idea would be to inform visitors about the MSX computer standard, show a bit of history and interesting notes about MSX, explain a bit about the current MSX scene and what is being developed for MSX today and how to get involved if interested in learning more. Who knows, maybe you'll have some more Americans visiting and asking general MSX hardware questions. Won't that be fun!? : )

Oh and I made a special MSX 30th Anniversary T-Shirt design that we'll likely be sporting at the event.

-Thomas

10-03-2013, 17:31

Great, except for that font on the T-shirt... looks Commodore to me!

By Maggoo

Maggoo's picture

12-03-2013, 14:12

We are still working on the presentation material. If anyone has some ideas/suggestions, they are more than welcome, bearing in mind that the target audience might not be familiar with the MSX at all.

We already got some very interesting presentation content from Konamiman on the hardware produced by the "amateur" MSX scene.

By Capitan_Goto

Master (168)

Capitan_Goto's picture

15-03-2013, 13:59

Hi guys!. I think is a good idea to present to the American audience the MSX like a system that has a very actual and active scene with various hardware developers all around the World working in new and better expansions for the MSX machines. It´s a way to show that, although the standard has 30 years old, still is alive and seems that in good shape. Maybe interest to show the "new MSX machines" as the FPCGA [OCM, Altera DE1,DE0, etc boards] based devices or even better the GR8BIT machine from Eugeny Brychkov. The challenge and the fun of build your own MSX2+ computer can be something that catch the attention of the visitors... The web of GR8BIT has been updated with some videos that can be show to the visitors too, like interviews with a very young Bill Gates and Kazuhiko Nishi. Maybe the MSX is almost unknow in the USA, but every body knows Microsoft and who is Mr. Gates.

And if you think well about it, the MSX is half American, starting by it´s name [ MicroSoft eXtended...i know, i know there is some controversy about the name and the letters,but, officially until now, this is the only confirmed name ]. This could be a good entry point!!

By the way, i like the T-Shirt. It looks very "eighties", with that geometrical design!. Good luck in the VCF!

Best Regards from Spain

By cklayman

cklayman's picture

16-03-2013, 01:12

I also wanted to say that I really love the idea and wish I could participate (I am also in the US). I have a small collection of MSX computers and cartridges and can ship a few of them to you for the festival (provided that you return them afterwards Smile So if you would like to exhibit something but do not have it then please feel free to ask me. If I have it I will ship at my expense.

By SkyeWelse

SkyeWelse's picture

16-03-2013, 17:01

Thanks Capitan Goto, and I definitely agree that a lot of interest in the MSX could be generated quite a bit simply by educating visitors that have maybe never been all that familiar with this computer standard in Four main points:

A) The history of the MSX as a standard and Microsoft Platform founded by Bill Gates and Kazuhiko Nishi of Ascii Corp.
B) Demos and videos of software
C) The MSX scene is still alive and well, and active and global.
D) How you can be a part of this scene and learn more about MSX / Direction to projects such as GR8BIT development kits for hardware enthusiasts. : ) (*Maggoo and I haven't finalized what would be on this yet, but I have enough DVD's and unlimited webspace from a server I rent each month that I can very easily fill them up with interesting content to hand out at the fair.

Definitely plan to lead folks to websites such as the MSX Resource Center, Ultimate MSX FAQ, The MSX Channel on YouTube (A friend of mine, MP83, from the Ancient Land of Ys Falcom community runs it), The MSX Cartridge Shop, Generation-MSX, GR8BIT and more. I know there are many more wonderful places of information about MSX and these mentioned are just but a few, so if you know of others or have some of your own that you definitely would like to see mentioned, by all means plug them here. : )

cklayman, nice to meet you and that is a very generous offer! Between us, Maggoo and I have at least 4 machines, but not quite sure on how many actual Konami games or popular MSX Games that we can showcase as physical copies. Maybe we can chat over email sometime. My email is in my profile here at MRC. Whereabouts are you in the United States?

Are you currently listed on the MSX Users Worldmap? I just discovered this recently at MSXLegend's website.

-Thomas

By Maggoo

Maggoo's picture

22-04-2013, 16:42

The VCFSE event was a success with more than 700 adult visitors and many more children over the course of the weekend. Some great exhibits and great speakers.

The MSX Exhibit proved to be a popular one with many people stopping by to ask questions and get some play time with old and newer MSX games.

Will try to upload some of the pictures of the show in the community photos section, can we get a folder created for it?

In the meantime here are some pics already available online:

Special kuddos to Thomas and Serge for all the work they put in preparing this and of course for the great time :)

By Subby

Supporter (1)

Subby's picture

22-04-2013, 18:05

It was great that Maggoo, Skywelse and Serge attended the first ever Vintage Computer Festival Southeast!
I know several of us have had very little exposure to the MSX platorm and were very taken by it. And it looked like many attendees were too.
I'm going to be trying to consolidate the photos taken at the show, once I get something worthwhile up, I'll post a link.

It seems like all I have done since getting home last night is hitting the various MSX sites on the net. (Hopefully my boss doesn't expect too much work today! Smile ) (now if I can get this F#*@3 emulator to work)

Subby/Brad

By snout

snout's picture

22-04-2013, 18:40

Maggoo, I created a photo gallery for the VCF right here and published the first photo you submitted. Please inform us when you're done submitting pictures, we'll publish them all and write some news about it.

Welcome to the MSX scene, Subby! Great to hear that the MSX spirit caught you...

22-04-2013, 22:44

Subby: If you state which emulator you're using, expect lots of help Smile There's even an emulator section on the forum here. Welcome to MSX!

By Maggoo

Maggoo's picture

23-04-2013, 04:11

Hi Brad, glad you enjoyed the MSX display. We had a great time being there meeting everyone!

If you need help getting started with Emulators we can give some explanations at one of the next AHCS meetings or just ask here, there is always someone to help!

Snout: I have uploaded a few more pictures. Thanks for creating the folder.

By turbor

turbor's picture

23-04-2013, 09:05

snout wrote:

Maggoo, I created a photo gallery for the VCF right here.

After the first picture I get an access denied when trying the next picture on
Can somebody take a look at his. I really want to see those pictures... :D

By snout

snout's picture

23-04-2013, 12:15

Heh, that's a little inconcistency in Drupal, apparently. Either way, the uploaded pictures have been published and you should be able to browse them now.

Are there more pictures to come, Maggoo?
Subby - if you like you can upload your pictures here as well!

By SkyeWelse

SkyeWelse's picture

23-04-2013, 18:24

Hi Maggoo, I had a great time at the VCFSE as well and I really liked how our MSX exhibit celebrating the 30 years MSX has been alive turned out. It was a lot of fun and next year we'll have even more MSX goodness to share. Thanks for posting some of the pictures. I have quite a few different shots as well that I can submit once I have them ready, which I'm aiming to be later this evening EST. I'm at work right now, so not much is going to happen until after I get home.

We do have a website and new Youtube channel where we plan to make all of the material we used at the show, the videos, slides, photos, binder content (102+ pages featuring 2 MSX machines per page, most courtesy of Homecomputer.de used with permission) and several edited by me.) Once I have it ready, I will post the link to the website and Youtube channel here.

Brad, it was very nice meeting with you at the fair and I'm quite pleased that we managed to perk your interest in MSX computing. If you have any questions, the MSX Resource Center is definitely the place to gain a lot of insight on the current MSX scene and a great place to ask any questions you have. And of course, we would be happy to help as well. Smile

-Thomas

By SkyeWelse

SkyeWelse's picture

24-04-2013, 07:13

Here is the site that showcases our new startup "USA MSX Scene" to help get would-be American MSX users started and to showcase anything our group and/or other American MSX users feel like contributing. : )

USAMSX.COM

Here are some of the VCFSE pictures I took of our MSX Exhibit as well as our friend Serge's extensive Atari 8-Bit Collection. Feel free to add these to the MRC Gallery for this event. :)

-Thomas

By tranx

tranx's picture

11-11-2013, 18:06

Hello,

I am a MSX user in California. Too bad I missed this event, hope to be at the next one and bring some of my stuff.

By Maggoo

Maggoo's picture

12-11-2013, 19:48

Hi Tranx, welcome to the forum. Plans are being made for a VCSFE 2.0 in Atlanta in 2014 although nothing official is announced yet. If it is confirmed, chances are we'll be there again and it would be great to have more MSX users to show up Smile

By tranx