New Book - Modern MSX BASIC Game Development

New Book - Modern MSX BASIC Game Development

by ro on 16-07-2021, 18:12
Topic: Development

Books, real physical, printed ones. Not a rare item back in the days of MSX glory, as not all things were digital back then. But in 2021, well, it seems a rare commodity. Thanks to the digital super highway called Internet, information is quickly obtainable but also very futile. Books are like Long Play Records, a niche product. Loved by a small amount of enthusiastics... Don't blame them, books just smell darn good. As do records.

So, whenever there's a new book on our beloved subject, we're happy to write about it. Digital, or hard copy, new MSX books are a delicacy that we can't get enough of. You might expect that, for a retro system of 35 y/o, everything's been written about and secrets are rare. Well, not always. Remember Wim Dewijngaert his recent Konami MSX Legacy book? And now, Raúl Portales gives us the "Modern MSX BASIC Game Development" book.

As the title says, a book about programming BASIC games on MSX with modern tools like emulators, automated scripts, tile editors, MSX-BASIC-KUN, and other. Raúl has written a nice English language, 238 pages book with practical examples that are also downloadable. A great piece of work for any one interested in game programming with MSX BASIC.

In the MSX scene you might know Raúl as MRC user shalafi, and as the creator of the MSXdev`20 game title Raftoid, released under his alias Plattysoft. He is also the author of Android related book titles.

The book "Modern MSX BASIC Game Development" is available on Amazon on both paperback and eBook and costs about 20 euros (ex shipping).

Relevant link: Buy the book at Amazon
Relevant link: The demo ROM, scripts and all the examples are available on GitHub

Media browser (2)

• New Book - Modern MSX BASIC Game Development
  • New Book - Modern MSX BASIC Game Development

By TGC

Supporter (2)

TGC's picture

17-07-2021, 20:50

Just ordered one Smile

By dracul

Master (156)

dracul's picture

18-07-2021, 17:28

Me too. I hope I will get it by now ;-)

By shalafi

Rookie (24)

shalafi's picture

18-07-2021, 21:22

Thanks! I hope you like it.
My own copy arrived on Friday, less than 4 days since ordering. Not bad for printed on demand.

By NetNomad

Rookie (26)

NetNomad's picture

20-07-2021, 04:10

Mine came today! Two chapters in and already learned a bunch of stuff I didn't know. The physical book is also much better quality than I expected from print-to-order and even has full color pictures and screenshots. It's really cool!

By shalafi

Rookie (24)

shalafi's picture

20-07-2021, 20:36

Sure, the quality is really good for the price and printed in demand.
When I said "not bad for in demand" I was referring to the time to delivery.

@netnomad Glad you are enjoying it!

By albs_br

albs_br's picture

21-07-2021, 03:16

Bought the digital version, currently read around 1/3.
Even not being an MSX Basic enthusiast, I'm really enjoying the reading. Pretty entertaining.
Congrats!

By shalafi

Rookie (24)

shalafi's picture

21-07-2021, 10:04

albs_br wrote:

Bought the digital version, currently read around 1/3.
Congrats!

Thank you!

By Samor

Prophet (2089)

Samor's picture

21-07-2021, 11:23

What a nice idea! I ordered a copy.