Nextor 2.0.4 and 2.1 Alpha 1b released

Nextor 2.0.4 and 2.1 Alpha 1b released

by konamiman on 14-10-2014, 22:41
Topic: Software

It was about time for a new release of the MSX-DOS-based operating system that Konamiman is developing. This release comes with the following goodies:

• Fixed a bug that caused "File already in use" errors when copying files within the same drive.
  • Fixed a bug that caused the computer to crash when copying files in DOS 1 mode when the source or destination was the internal floppy disk drive.
  • Fixed a bug introduced in version 2.0.3: the DOS functions that inform about disk free space _ALLOC (used by COMMAND2.COM) and _DSPACE (used by MSX-BASIC) were returning different results (the difference was equivalent to one cluster).
  • Fixed a bug that caused the computer to crash when the kanji mode was activated (CALL KANJI from the BASIC prompt). This bug was present in the original sources ("MSX-DOS 2.50") in which Nextor is based.
  • Now two variants of the NEXTOR.SYS files are offered. The full variant contains part of the error messages (such as "reading", "writing" and "Abort, Retry, Ignore") in English and Japanese, while the reduced variant contains only the English messages. Using the reduced variant saves 256 bytes of TPA space.
  • If an environment item named ERRLANG is created with value EN (SET ERRLANG=EN), COMMAND2.COM will display error messages in English even if the kanji mode is active. This feature was suggested by MRC user sd_snatcher.
  • The fix for bogus values in the ROM of some brazilian computers (filling KANJTABLE only if the computer is japanese) that was introduced in version 2.0.3 has been undone. Users of these computers should use the ERRLANG environment variable as explained above.

As an added bonus, version 2.1 Alpha 1b has been released as well. This version is the same as 2.1 Alpha 1 but with the new features and fixes of versions 2.0.3 and 2.0.4 merged in. And for those interested in giving economic support to the author, Flattr has been added to the list of available services to donate.

Relevant link: Konamiman's MSX page

By konamiman

konamiman's picture

14-10-2014, 22:45

Important note: the previous version of NEXTOR.SYS was already reduced, but it not was on purpose, it was due to a bug in the compilation process and it will display garbage instead of proper error messages when used in kanji mode. Therefore, it is recommended to use the updated file (version 2.01) even if you want the reduced version.

14-10-2014, 22:47

Cool, looks like some bugs I found while developing MegaFlashROM SCC+ SD emulation are now fixed Smile

By konamiman

konamiman's picture

14-10-2014, 22:54

BTW I need some help with a very nasty bug. Please head to the forums!

By KdL

KdL's picture

14-10-2014, 23:28

like+1000! Smile

By edoz

edoz's picture

16-10-2014, 15:26

Thanks!! for this new upgrade!! Amazing cool! Is the bug with the sunrise (files writing slow) also solved ? Or was this something you could not reproduce ? First have to test this new amazing version! Thanks for your effort on Nextor releases! As the most of us use it a lot I think!

By edoz

edoz's picture

23-10-2014, 14:36

I installed the Nextor 2.0.4 and 2.1 Alpha 1b released on my Sunrise IDE. Is it correctly that if you type VER on the commandline that is says: Nextor kernel version 2.1.0 alpha 1b and NEXTOR.SYS version 2.10 (there is no beta version for nextor.sys?)

I just tested it on my Sunrise. It works well but I still have the same bug that writing files is extremely slow. (Deleting, Reading is fine)

By Retrofan

Retrofan's picture

28-10-2014, 19:15

Hi konamiman: great release, but could you boot Nextor in 80 column mode instead of 40? My battery doesn't keep it's internal settings, but if you boot Nextor in 80 column mode at default, this would be nice. Ofcourse I could add MODE 80 to the AUTOEXEC.BAT, but if Nextor already does this, I don't have to... Wink

By Retrofan

Retrofan's picture

10-01-2015, 15:06

edoz wrote:

@Konamiman: could you please fix this problem with slow writings at Sunrise CF-ATA IDE cartridge? I also would like to update this device with Nextor Wink

By Retrofan

Retrofan's picture

10-01-2015, 15:08

Retrofan wrote:

Replaced the batteries, so this is not neccessary anymore Smile

By KdL

KdL's picture

20-01-2015, 14:45

Hi konamiman!

I do not remember all functions of NEXTOR: is it possible to manage the .DSK from it?
I'd like to do a "mounting on folder" of .DSK and manage it with MSX COMMANDER.

By Retrofan

Retrofan's picture

03-03-2015, 11:07

Hi Konamiman, when can we expect native DSK support with read/write for MFR SCC+ SD? Then we could use savedisk in SD Snatcher for example. Would be cool to have Cool

By konamiman

konamiman's picture

08-03-2015, 17:12

Retrofan wrote:

You can expect it, as I'm working on it. I just can't say when, as my free time is very scarce. Sad

By Retrofan

Retrofan's picture

08-03-2015, 18:09

@konamiman: okay, I understand, that's great. We will see... Wink

By sd_snatcher

sd_snatcher's picture

16-04-2016, 16:23

The download links for the Nextor 2.0.4 ROMs are broken now... Sad

By konamiman

konamiman's picture

16-04-2016, 17:33

sd_snatcher wrote:

The download links for the Nextor 2.0.4 ROMs are broken now... Sad

Sorry about that, I need to fix some links after a server change but I'm having some issues with the FTP connection. Workaround in the mean time:

1. Copy file URL and paste it into your browser's address bar
2. Change the extension from ".rom" to ".ROM" (yes, just a change in casing)
3. Smash Enter and... profit!