OCM-PLD Pack v3.6 is out!

OCM-PLD Pack v3.6 is out!

by ro on 15-05-2018, 10:32
Topic: Development

The One Chip MSX (OCM), first released in 2006, is a Programmable Logic Device (PLD) acting as a true MSX computer. The OCM-PLD pack is all the firmware and software you need to get it up and running. MRC user KdL has just released OCM-PLD version 3.6 for this device.

v3.6 [2018.05.14] [KdL's Updates!]
- Updated Switched I/O ports ($40-$4F) module to Revision 7:
new audio presets "Emphasis PSG Sound", "Emphasis SCC-I Sound" and "Emphasis OPLL Sound" (scmd-$44/$45/$46),
new SHIFT-PGUP/PGDOWN keys to do the fast switch of master volume from max level to middle, min and mute level,
new "Pixel Ratio 1:1 for VGA Output" (scmd-$7F) a trick to get the correct pixel ratio on a non-CRT display
(e.g. A:\>SETSMART -7F7F7F7F is fine for a VX2835WM), fixed scmd-$F9 to allow the use of an external FM-PAC,
new scmd-$D6/D7 that allow to force the centering of the YJK modes and the R25 mask (useful for MSX2+ games).
- Updated DIP-SW User Manual in the [docs\] folder.
- New 'mglOCM.com' and 'mgLunch.com' (2017.11.18) in the [msxtools\mglunch\] folder.
- New audio mixer that improve the amplitude of internal sounds and balance the input line of external slots:
global audio starts at level 10 out of 13 to avoid clipping for at least two internal chips at a time;
to reduce the audio noise, I suggest setting everything to the max level and an external mixer volume of 80%.
- Improved timings of VDP command engine, the intros of Fray and Space Manbow are okay now but I emphasize that
the wait control does not calculate the actual times of the VDP commands, which still makes it inaccurate.
- Improved VGA output to help directly set a pixel ratio 1:1 on a LED TV at 60Hz (also w/o the trick scmd-$7F).
- Added MULUB and MULUW opcodes inside T80 Core: MSX turbo-R BIOS is required to use them, by TobiFlex.
- Fixed random sprites during the blank screen (ref. Manbow 2) and fixed H-SYNC signal (ref. Unknown Reality).
- Fixed the border color of YJK modes (SCREEN 10, 11 and 12) that should has been palettized.
- Fixed the horizontal position of YJK modes by +4 pixels on the right.

Notes and warnings:
- In this release not all Zemmix Neo and Zemmix Neo BR firmware are interchangeable, a special note is with them.
- Nextor kernel for OCM is unable to flash the PLD firmware using 'pldload.com' and the machine can be BRICKED!!
The last 'pldflash.com' v1.5 automatically detects Unsupported Kernels, pay close attention to this.
- The most of Microcabin games can run better with the 'runit.com' tool, with 'ep.com' two drives are required.

Some known issues:
- The game Fighter's Ragnarok has all the damaged graphics, a bug in the VDP command engine should be the cause.
- Some PSG sounds are not played accurately and sometimes the OPLL drum kit sounds too loud.
- The 'Break' command of ESE-PS2 module do not work during the hard reset or if you unplug the keyboard at warm.
- Sometimes the SD-Card is not detected after a hard reset but you can re-insert it on the fly to solve.
- The current version of MSX turbo-R BIOS can be started with Internal Mapper 4096 kB only using Nextor kernel
and generates some issues with the PSG output (simply just listen to the beep sound to confirm it).

Follow KdL at Twitter , visit his web page or click the direct download link for OCM-PLD pack v3.6

By KdL

KdL's picture

15-05-2018, 20:01

Thank you ro!! Smile

By AxelStone

AxelStone's picture

15-05-2018, 20:48

Great news, let's download! Thanks for your work.

By enribar

enribar's picture

15-05-2018, 22:28

I think the time to support with money this project, is really come!
Each OneChip across this small Earth uses the KdL's firmware!
A really huge work!

By KdL

KdL's picture

16-05-2018, 11:05

An update has been scheduled to fix some minor bugs, so OCM-PLD v3.6.1 will be available very soon. If anyone has issues, send me an email. Thanks! Wink

By gaula82

Supporter (8)

gaula82's picture

16-05-2018, 15:34

Any chances that the Altera DE1 core is updated to this, please? Nishi

By alexito

Master (212)

alexito's picture

17-05-2018, 00:42

Very nice update. Now PARADREAM for TurboR is working fine on my Zemmix Neo BR again Thanks KDL.

PS: I'll post a video soon stay tuned.

Wink

By taezou

Supporter (5)

taezou's picture

17-05-2018, 07:28

Quote:

Which firmware should be used with the Zemmix from 8bits4ever?

By alexito

Master (212)

alexito's picture

17-05-2018, 07:43

By alexito

Master (212)

alexito's picture

17-05-2018, 18:48

I have included special version of paradream more easy to play on OCM. Thanks to KdL

By MSX4ever

Master (135)

MSX4ever's picture

17-05-2018, 21:11

Thanks for sharing

By alexito

Master (212)

alexito's picture

19-05-2018, 21:40

This is definetly the best version for OCM-PLD PACK v3.6

now with SPEED HACK make the game more playable.

Enjoy!

By popolony2k

Hero (519)

popolony2k's picture

19-05-2018, 22:46

I'm facing...

...some problems with this update. After applying this update to my ZemmixNeo (Br) the screen is not more centered and now it has a big displacement to the left side causing a big black sideband in the right side, even adjusting the image to the maximum left position available on TV settings, the big black sideband still big on screen.

I've downgraded to the previous version and everything is ok again.

Is someone facing this kind of problem too ?

[]'s
PopolonY2k

By alexito

Master (212)

alexito's picture

19-05-2018, 23:57

I agree after the update my Zemmix Neo BR the main screen get little bit to the LEFT but nothing that the AUTOCENTER option on the TV / MONITOR can fix this misaligned.

Wink

By KdL

KdL's picture

20-05-2018, 06:06

Since some TVs do not support the new VGA output, I inform all that OCM-PLD Pack v3.6.1 will be released within a couple of days in order to solve the problem as soon as possible.

By alexito

Master (212)

alexito's picture

22-05-2018, 21:10

By alexito

Master (212)

alexito's picture

23-05-2018, 16:07

I was trying run games for OCM at Turbo Speed first and I have discovered that some games really show good improvement in frame rate and playability.

Right now I trying to add MSX Joystick support for Altered Beast (Amusement Factory 2008) I love the music and playability at Turbo Mode.

Other good game is Ghost And Gobblins fro (Amusement Factory 2008) I really recommend give a try at Turbo Mode, Smooth Scrolling (press HOME key) and the best of it using a MSX Joystick with 2 buttons.

Brain Drive for MSX TurboR is other good Fighting Game you can try and pressing F2 key at main game you can TURN ON/OFF the CPU AI and fight against the Computer.

By spl

spl's picture

26-05-2018, 00:54

What loader do you use? If I use EP i get a lot of corrupt graphics, and using SofaRun I only get a "Bad drive name in 70" error...

By alexito

Master (212)

alexito's picture

26-05-2018, 05:22

Just get the files inside of .DSK file ( I use WINIMAGE) and put those in any DIRECTORY on your SDCARD after that you can use any File manager like MM or SofaRun or just execute AUTOEXEC.BAS from MSXDOS2 command prompt just typing:

basic autoexec.bas