Philips Vintage Weekend in Philips Museum Eindhoven

Philips Vintage Weekend in Philips Museum Eindhoven

by Manuel on 13-03-2017, 09:23
Topic: Events

Philips is a Dutch technology company founded in Eindhoven, The Netherlands in 1891, by Gerard Philips. As one of the largest electronics companies in the world, Philips brought a wide spectrum of MSX computers and peripherals to the market in the '80ties. Philips has its own museum where all this electronic glory is preserved and exhibitioned. In April, the museum organizes the Philips Vintage Weekend.

On the weekend of 8 and 9 April, the Philips Museum in Eindhoven will organize the Philips Vintage Weekend. Together with collectors and collector clubs, the Philips Museum will make this a weekend of recognition and nostalgia for everyone. Especially for us, MSX geeks.

MSX computers will be present, hosted by Philips-MSX-collector Bas Tilborghs together with MRC fanatic Manuel Bilderbeek.

See you there?

By edoz

edoz's picture

14-03-2017, 10:39

That is cool!! how many MSX machines do you show ?

14-03-2017, 21:00

There's a limited amount of space (one table, so far), so we take what people can recognize easily and what is interesting to show. What would you show on that occasion? Smile

By ro

Guardian (3840)

ro's picture

15-03-2017, 13:05

I'd take a philips computer and philips crt with philips music-module and put in a philips disk with muzax3 on it and rotate the music list. While you're at it, add a philips amp with philips speakers (ofcourse, the classics.. is long as it's vintage) and blast the room. Old-skool style. \m/

By hamlet

hamlet's picture

15-03-2017, 18:26

Ahh, I wish I could join!
My setup would be a classic 8020 concected to a D-6600 and a VY0010 and those G7000 like joysticks. If there is still space on your desk a VW-0020 with endless paper would do great. Running a biorythm software visitors can print out their situation and get a keepsake (where you automatically print a contact address, maybe someone find some old stuff at home). Common games from this episode will be the cream on top.

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9535)

wolf_'s picture

15-03-2017, 18:45

Ah, the Muzax 3 "OMFG world domination"-tour! Running Naked in a Field of Flowers Hannibal

By CX5Mer

CX5Mer's picture

15-03-2017, 18:51

This event is about Philips, NOT just MSX. In that case, I expect MSX will only be a small part of it. Philips developed an early video cassette system called Video 2000, so I expect that will get at least as much space as MSX. I'd love to go to some more MSX meetings in the near future, but I don't think this will be one of them. Can anyone suggest a meeting devoted to MSX which I should go to? I think my nearest event might be an MSX Club West Friesland meeting, but I'm not sure. West Friesland is in the province of North Holland, north of Amsterdam, but I didn't know that before I attended MSX 2017 in Nijmegen. The explanation for that name is on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frisia

By hamlet

hamlet's picture

15-03-2017, 19:48

That´s a good point. Maybe a 8280 video equip would be much better. Manuel, if you in need for a Philips VHS recorder, drop me a line!

15-03-2017, 23:06

Keep the ideas coming Smile But I think we'll cover most of the things you're all suggesting here Smile

By msd

msd's picture

16-03-2017, 06:36

Do you have Phillips cd-rom interface?

By TheKid

TheKid's picture

16-03-2017, 07:31

How about the tablet, barcode reader, printers, manuals and advertisement booklets ?

By Louthrax

Louthrax's picture

16-03-2017, 20:22

I like the "Philips MSX Designer" drawing software, easy to use for everyone and with nice effects. On a VG-8235 with a Philips mouse !

16-03-2017, 21:44

msd, yes, but not the CD-player (CDR-X1000) or the software.

By hamlet

hamlet's picture

16-03-2017, 23:49

Mhh, the 8220 got the Designer built in. You need to carry one disk less.
Or what about a fully loaded 8010:

By Bas040

Expert (103)

Bas040's picture

18-03-2017, 11:53

Good news. We have got the confirmation that we have 2 tables for MSX.
A NMS-8280 will be part of a professional Philips television directors set-up.

By JohnHassink

Ambassador (4689)

JohnHassink's picture

18-03-2017, 12:02

@ Bas040: Awesome! Smile
Wasn't there also some kind of Philips drawing board thing for the MSX? I'm sure I had one, but I don't even see it in the wiki.

18-03-2017, 21:25

By Bas040

Expert (103)

Bas040's picture

18-03-2017, 21:56

Will be connected to the NMS8280.

By JohnHassink

Ambassador (4689)

JohnHassink's picture

18-03-2017, 22:24

@ Manuel: Thanks, that was the thing! How could I have missed that?

@ Bas040: So that one is going to be demonstrated as well?

By Bas040

Expert (103)

Bas040's picture

20-03-2017, 21:45

John: yes!
We will try to show as much as possible. Just too bad that Philips did only produce a very limited amount of quality software! But we are going to cheat a bit I think.....

20-03-2017, 22:44

I guess we can officially choose from this list, and still claim it's (published by) Philips: http://www.generation-msx.nl/company/philips/345/published/

My MSX profile