TRnewdrv: New drivers for the MSX Turbo-R BIOS

TRnewdrv: New drivers for the MSX Turbo-R BIOS

by sd_snatcher on 17-08-2017, 23:20
Topic: Software

sd_snatcher has released a new set of drivers for the MSX Turbo-R BIOS with many improvements over its original set of drivers, including way better performance.

1) Adds the missing drivers for these devices:

• MSX-Paddles (or any PWM device, just like the original)
  • Light-Pen

2) Replace the existing drivers with much better ones for these devices:

• Mouse, now with supported for the extended mouse wheel protocol and much faster than the original
  • Trackball, with angular to linear conversion for a much improved response
  • Touchpad: 10 times faster on Z80, 120 times faster with the R800
  • PAUSE Key: Will now work correctly with Konami games running on R800
  • Key click

3) Other enhanced BIOS routines:

• BEEP: Doesn't reset the system timer anymore

The drivers are loaded by an MSX-DOS executable, and remain as part of the DRAM-mode BIOS until unloaded either by the same utility, a reset or activation of the ROM mode.

By NYYRIKKI

NYYRIKKI's picture

18-08-2017, 12:51

Can I use GTPAD 15/19 to get mouse Z coordinate?

By sd_snatcher

sd_snatcher's picture

18-08-2017, 14:39

Yes, now you can! And functions 12/16 will return the extra buttons and some more info. Smile

Check the included README file for the details.

By NYYRIKKI

NYYRIKKI's picture

18-08-2017, 21:02

I think that I did, but maybe I was not careful enough to find that detail. Thanks!

By NYYRIKKI

NYYRIKKI's picture

18-08-2017, 21:36

Ah, now I found it: "- Functions 15 and 19: mouse wheel offset", but I would not like to stamp these to mouse functionality. I'm pretty sure that all of us have very soon devices that rather like to operate in 3D space and that is why I left it open for similar accuracy as X and Y although mouse doesn't need that.

If you think you could document to the Wiki where the "ZSAVE" is stored, feel free to do so... I can't think of better person to solve this issue.

I think it is not only bold but very clever to reuse the functions 12/16 instead of hacking the strig functionality. I vote for your approach.

By NYYRIKKI

NYYRIKKI's picture

18-08-2017, 21:56

BTW there is a very, very, very old solution that I made for the MSX2 & Trackball problem here:

This program allows you to adjust speed & acceleration of mouse/trackball on MSX2. sd_snatcher's solution is much better, but this can be considered as alternative approach for less advanced machines.

By sd_snatcher

sd_snatcher's picture

21-08-2017, 14:34

NYYRIKKI wrote:

Ok. I renamed it in the documentation. The next version will reflect it.

Quote:

Thank you! Smile

By roadfighter

roadfighter's picture

25-08-2017, 12:06

Is it possible to update the internal Rom of the turbo-r? So the fixes are permanent?

By ricbit

ricbit's picture

27-08-2017, 20:59

@roadfighter Every time you switch to mode Z80 DRAM or R800 DRAM, the ROM gets copied into RAM to get faster access times. But you don't need to copy the original ROM, you can copy a modified one. This is not permanent, it will get reset once you switch back to Z80 ROM or R800 ROM.

My MSX profile