Uchūsen Gamma

Uchūsen Gamma

by reidrac on 29-11-2019, 18:42
Topic: Software
Tags: game
Languages:

Uchūsen Gamma is a vertical shooter up for the MSX.

The game offers classic shoot’em up action with a twist: the power ups only appear when 9 enemies are destroyed in a row (a “full chain”). The longer the chain, the more points will be obtained per destroyed enemy. There’s a risk/reward component because you may need to wait to kill the enemy ships until there are enough of them on screen to complete a full chain.

The game has been developed by Juan J. Martinez (code, graphics and sound), known by Night Knight earlier this year (also for the MSX classic).

There will be a physical by Repro Factory to be announced soon.

Relevant link: Uchūsen Gamma download

Media browser (3)

  • Uchūsen Gamma
  • Uchūsen Gamma
  • Uchūsen Gamma

Comments (22)

By shram86

Expert (95)

shram86's picture

30-11-2019, 00:27

Is it weird making news posts about yourself? Nishi Nishi

By reidrac

Expert (68)

reidrac's picture

30-11-2019, 00:58

shram86 wrote:

Is it weird making news posts about yourself? Nishi Nishi

Yes, it is! I was asked to do it: https://www.msx.org/comment/reply/57530/369511

Btw, whoever edited the post: nice tags. "Spectrum port"? Not really. I don't mind the picture with that weird logo with the name of the game, but is not true that the game is a Spectrum port. Can it be removed? Thanks.

By Juan Luis

Expert (71)

Juan Luis's picture

30-11-2019, 01:13

Cool game. I like it.

By PAC

Guardian (5314)

PAC's picture

30-11-2019, 02:09

reidrac wrote:
shram86 wrote:

Is it weird making news posts about yourself? Nishi Nishi

Yes, it is! I was asked to do it: https://www.msx.org/comment/reply/57530/369511

It's not mandatory, just optional. Developers or any user can submit news to the MRC and they will be published afterwards. It is the best way to promote your products! It can be a complete news post, a short introduction (it will be completed later) or just a simple link. The more information you provided the better of course.

By Pippo

Champion (421)

Pippo's picture

30-11-2019, 06:29

Very, very nice game, really!
Thanks a lot, Juan, for sharing. Big smile

By reidrac

Expert (68)

reidrac's picture

30-11-2019, 07:46

PAC wrote:
reidrac wrote:
shram86 wrote:

Is it weird making news posts about yourself? Nishi Nishi

Yes, it is! I was asked to do it: https://www.msx.org/comment/reply/57530/369511

It's not mandatory, just optional. Developers or any user can submit news to the MRC and they will be published afterwards. It is the best way to promote your products! It can be a complete news post, a short introduction (it will be completed later) or just a simple link. The more information you provided the better of course.

That's cool! As a suggestion: if a post gets edited (for example, I didn't add the image with the game's logo), whoever does the edit should use their name instead of leaving the username that submitted the post.

By hamlet

Scribe (2620)

hamlet's picture

30-11-2019, 09:15

This usually depends on the amount of work to be done.
If, as in your case, the text is coherent and we don't have to do a lot of research and possibly search for sources or hold queries, we would of course like to name the author who wrote the news post.
The mere publication does not justify a change of authorship, I think.
If my time allows, I will gladly add a cover picture, I personally like it better than a simple screenshot.
MRC members who recognize my style and I don't have to mention. I like it very much to design title pictures. My final thesis at ABK Stuttgart was logo design and calligraphy, so this is a nice way for me to apply my knowledge. Of course they don't suit every taste, but as an alternative to not printing a cover picture, I think they are a good choice.
Of course writting a newspost about your own project seems weird, but isn't. Who knows better about this shit than you? Who can write more detailed article than you? You are the man!
I very much welcome self-released news posts. As PAC already said, the more detailed the postings, the greater the chance of a quick release. We think news posts should maintain a certain standard of quality, so a simple link or a short comment is not enough for an immediate release and we have to invest some more work and time.
This is the work of our community, not just us admins and webmasters, so everyone is invited to help!
Your newspost was perfect, so it went quite fast. Thank you!
Of course we are happy to respond to wishes, if someone doesn't want to see their name mentioned, let us know. If the designed pictures do not meet your expectations, tell us.
Last, sorry for the "speccy port" tag, this has caused the auto complete function that I didn't notice.

But back to the root!
This is a amazing game and I'm in for a cartridge buy!

By wimpie3

Champion (264)

wimpie3's picture

30-11-2019, 09:24

Amazing game, indeed.

By Thom

Hero (591)

Thom's picture

30-11-2019, 09:33

I didn't have much time so far to play it (there's also Shenmue III), but it plays very well. I think it's impressive you've managed to deliver two polished games within a year! You're my No 1 developer for MSX at the moment.
The chain system is really nice, it reminds me a bit of Ikaruga for Dreamcast and as far as I know this game play mechanic is a first on MSX?

Reidrac, are you planning to make another game for MSX, or is that undecided yet? I would love to know what you can do for MSX2.

By reidrac

Expert (68)

reidrac's picture

30-11-2019, 09:41

Thom wrote:

I didn't have much time so far to play it (there's also Shenmue III), but it plays very well. I think it's impressive you've managed to deliver two polished games within a year! You're my No 1 developer for MSX at the moment.
The chain system is really nice, it reminds me a bit of Ikaruga for Dreamcast and as far as I know this game play mechanic is a first on MSX?

Reidrac, are you planning to make another game for MSX, or is that undecided yet? I would love to know what you can do for MSX2.

Thanks for your kind words!

I don't know if there's any other MSX game with this mechanic. I'm a big fan of Ikaruga (although it is hard!), but I was inspired by the score system of DoDonPachi, to some extent.

Currently I have few projects in my TODO, and I'm not sure what is next for the MSX to be honest.

By Thom

Hero (591)

Thom's picture

30-11-2019, 10:34

Uchūsen means spaceship, but how to pronounce it? eh-chou-sen? Which syllable is stressed?

By Thom

Hero (591)

Thom's picture

30-11-2019, 10:37

reidrac wrote:

I don't know if there's any other MSX game with this mechanic. I'm a big fan of Ikaruga (although it is hard!), but I was inspired by the score system of DoDonPachi, to some extent.

Nice, I didn't know that game. Should check it some time, though it looks hard (as indeed is Ikaruga).

By Grauw

Ascended (8508)

Grauw's picture

30-11-2019, 12:54

Congratulations! Too bad there won’t be any more dev vlogs about it Big smile. But nice to finally play it!

(And posting about your own product in 3rd person style may be a bit odd, but you’ll be sure it is announced in a news post timely and it saves the admins some work Smile.)

By shram86

Expert (95)

shram86's picture

30-11-2019, 14:56

Reidrac, you actually helped me a lot getting into ASM dev so I thank you for that (I was @_fou_lu on Twitter)

It's awesome to see you making your cool games on MSX too Cool

By reidrac

Expert (68)

reidrac's picture

30-11-2019, 16:52

Thanks everybody!

I just released version 1.0.1 that improves the loader in the CAS version. It should support less common configuations (e.g. 32K + 32K of RAM, 16K of RAM + 48K on expansions, etc).

Nothing else has changed. If you had issues loading the CAS in your real MSX, give this version a go!

By valkyre

Champion (420)

valkyre's picture

30-11-2019, 16:54

Great game. Any news on when the cartridge will be available?

By CASDuino

Expert (104)

CASDuino's picture

30-11-2019, 16:55

Thank you so much for including a CAS version

By reidrac

Expert (68)

reidrac's picture

30-11-2019, 16:59

valkyre wrote:

Great game. Any news on when the cartridge will be available?

I don't know yet. I suppose Eric will announce it when he's ready.

By Parn

Champion (424)

Parn's picture

30-11-2019, 21:49

Thom wrote:

Uchūsen means spaceship, but how to pronounce it? eh-chou-sen? Which syllable is stressed?

Stress in the Japanese language doesn't work like in most Western languages. It has a different flow and I fear I couldn't explain in few words. If you know how Spanish is pronounced, it's pretty much "uchuusen" like it were a Spanish word. To our ears it would seem like the stress is on "chuu". Try listening to this:

Google Translate

It's not perfect but it would give you an idea. Just don't pronounce "ch" like French, or "s" like in the "laser" word, and "u" is always like Spanish or Portuguese "u", or french "ou". Pronunciation in Japanese is actually quite regular and not difficult at all.

By wimpie3

Champion (264)

wimpie3's picture

30-11-2019, 22:01

Voting for the next game to be for MSX2 as well!

By ARTRAG

Enlighted (6276)

ARTRAG's picture

05-12-2019, 23:43

This game is an instant classic! Greetings!

By reidrac

Expert (68)

reidrac's picture

06-12-2019, 19:32

Thanks everybody, I'm glad you like the game!