A month ago Laurens Holst announced that he had started to work on a VGM music file player for MSX. VGM (Video Game Music) is a sound logging format for many machines and sound chips. It logs the commands sent to the sound chips, resulting in files much smaller than mp3s, and more importantly, files that can be played by the sound chips on our MSX computers.
After a month of hard work, VGMPlay for MSX 1.0 has been released. All sound chips available for MSX are supported.
Supported sound chips
- AY-3-8910 PSG / YM2149 SSG
- YM2151 OPM (SFG-01/05)
- YM2413 OPLL (MSX-MUSIC, FM-PAC)
- YM3526 OPL (MSX-AUDIO, Music Module, MoonSound)
- YM3812 OPL2 (MoonSound)
- YMF262 OPL3 (MoonSound)
- YMF278B OPL4 (MoonSound)
- Y8950 MSX-AUDIO (Music Module, 256K sample RAM recommended)
- K051649 Konami SCC
- SN76489 DCSG (Franky, Playsoniq, Musical Memory Mapper)
Relevant link: VGMPlay for MSX