Paxanga Soft just uploaded a promo video for their new MSX game, "Yokai no Atsuki Tatakai" (The Heated Yokai Battle) to YouTube. The game is a "sobrenatural" action RPG for any MSX computer with at least 16k RAM. It will be released soon in 64K cartridge format.

Relevant link: Paxanga's web

Media browser (4)

• Yokai no Atsuki Tatakai - MSX game video promo uploaded
  • Yokai no Atsuki Tatakai - MSX game video promo uploaded
  • Yokai no Atsuki Tatakai - MSX game video promo uploaded
  • Yokai no Atsuki Tatakai - MSX game video promo uploaded

By JohnHassink

Ambassador (4945)

JohnHassink's picture

02-11-2017, 04:51

Interesting, reminds a lot of Kiki Kaikai, but with a lot more emphasis on exploration.

By wyrdwad

wyrdwad's picture

02-11-2017, 08:55

I like that the yokai princess' name is "Okinamune," which means "big chest" in Japanese. Wink

This looks really good, honestly. Exactly my kind of game! I've only played one other Paxanga game before -- Cold Blood -- but it's one of my favorite MSX homebrew games. So I am very much interested in playing this one too!

-Tom

By tfh

tfh's picture

02-11-2017, 11:22

wyrdwad wrote:

-Tom

Indeed, it's mentioned on the project homepage as well: ""Okinamune, Our big boobed girl."
Good stuff Smile

By Meits

Meits's picture

02-11-2017, 13:45

This presentation video reminds me a bit of the box art discussion a while ago which was all about the expectations of the game by judging the killer box art and then find out how they compare to the actual game. Now there's even a bombastic sound track and where the gameplay is being showed the PSG is beefed up.
Okay, that was my vinegar pissing which can be totally ignored. It was just an instant thought.

What I saw of the gameplay was very impressive, given the system requirements and I'm looking forward to find out how it turns out to be.
Let the emphasis of my reaction lie on that Wink

02-11-2017, 18:47

That looks and sounds pretty damn good Smile

By MsxKun

MsxKun's picture

02-11-2017, 20:23

Ty all for your words.

@Meits: I think I know what you mean Big smile But I also think everybody is grown enough to know what an MSX1 can do and what it can't, so probably nobody should be fooled Smile (Still you can beef your PSG connecting the audio to an external FX unit or mixer, someday I had some fun connecting my MSX to the Kaoss Pad 3 and playing with the FX's).
Anyway, step by step, a video with raw gameplay is coming next. Let's apply that rule... "Now that I have your attention..." Wink

and

"Of course one can't expect those presentation animations, graphics and audio in an MSX1 game which runs on the most basic, stripped model imaginable."

The most basic MSX1 has 8k RAM, and the game needs 16k RAM. So sorry for 8k users but... Sad

By Meits

Meits's picture

03-11-2017, 00:29

Happy to see that you know what I mean. There's nothing but appreciation and great happiness here and looking forward to its release. We need more of that, even though teams keep on releasing high quality stuff on regular base, it's never enough Smile

By MsxKun

MsxKun's picture

03-11-2017, 20:26

Meits wrote:

Happy to see that you know what I mean.

Hehe, what can i say, I grew with spanish games with cute covers and then the games where just crap.
But not only here, if you compare this

with this

well, it's not the same, but the game is not bad :P

By Elrinth

Resident (42)

Elrinth's picture

06-11-2017, 10:13

holy shit this looks amazing! Also <3 engrish in 2017 Big smile

By MsxKun

MsxKun's picture

06-11-2017, 20:37

Elrinth wrote:

holy shit this looks amazing! Also <3 engrish in 2017 Big smile

Well, at some point I was considering some good old engrish wouldn't hurt, but I prefer to keep it for another different game, so if some word is wrong then it's a typo or just wrong. I'm still in time to correct it if you point it to me. Big smile

By wyrdwad

wyrdwad's picture

07-11-2017, 16:55

MsxKun wrote:

Oh, I thought it was intentional too! It's kind of charming, so I wouldn't bother fixing it if I were you. Wink The line in question in the trailer is "Will they success?" -- it should be "Will they succeed?", since "success" is a noun, while "succeed" is the verb form of it.

-Tom

By MsxKun

MsxKun's picture

07-11-2017, 21:01

wyrdwad wrote:
MsxKun wrote:

-Tom

Ha! Big smile Ok, well, if it's only in the trailer, then it stays. Takes me ages to upload with my crappy ADSL speed. And specially if you are having some fun with it Tongue
Ty anyway for the correction!

My MSX profile