The Spanish hardware force 8bits4ever created a new piece of MSX hardware, a slot-expander. This new MSX cartridge expands the regular MSX slot to four sub-slots, allowing it to plug-in up to four cartridges simultaneously. That means you can use your IDE, FDC and sound-cartridges at the same time. The piece contains individual ON/OFF switch for each sub-slot and BUSDIR support.

The total power consumption of the plugged cartridges must not exceed the total power output of your MSX computer. Beware, cartridges that implement expanded slots by themselves (Carnivore2, SD512, etc) will not work properly when plugged in to this expander.

8bits4ever sells this slot-expander for 80 Euros (excluding shipping cost).

If you got too much cartridges, this might be the solution for you.

Relevant link: 8bits4ever homepage

By Louthrax

Paragon (1991)

Louthrax's picture

02-01-2019, 20:46

Ordered Smile !

I'm just wondering if anyone has been able to plug the flat cable directly in the back of a Toshiba HX-10 (unplugging it from the cartridge adapter)? If yes, is that working ?

By gdx

gdx's picture

03-01-2019, 08:45

Louthrax wrote:

Even if the pins have the same order, it is not sure that it works because there does not seem to be any buffer on the slots board.

Also the case does not hold the cartridges. This can be a problem for some cartridges (large or those connected to another device by a cable for example). Moreover, it does not seem to have connector for external power, that is embarrassing for the MSXs with having a power not powerful, particularly the HX10. I don't recommend this slot expansion for this MSX.

By Pencioner

Pencioner's picture

03-01-2019, 13:00

Nowadays it is hard to buy any slotexpander, so this is niche product. With external power and good casing etc you have to pay more for it. If you unbderstand how you are going to use it, this might be good buy, btw. Let's see...

By lintweaker

Expert (122)

lintweaker's picture

03-01-2019, 16:28

Order one as well, I was waiting for one to appear.

By hamlet

hamlet's picture

03-01-2019, 17:03

I bought the Zemix clone and the SX1 from 8bits4ever, which are quality products. As I promised not to buy more MSX items to my girlfriend, I will keep this promise for one week or two and not buy this cart.
I would also like to know if the cartridge control has hardware or if the expander can be connected to the motherboard of the SX-1. This is of course already installed and can't take up an expander anymore, but I would be grateful for information. Just like that.

By alexito

alexito's picture

03-01-2019, 17:03

HI, GDX. I sent a private through this site because I can't find your contact Email.

By gdx

gdx's picture

04-01-2019, 07:58

Hi, Alexito.
Thank you. I will see that...

My MSX profile