Dal-So-Ri R2.0 released

Dal-So-Ri R2.0 released

by Meits on 29-06-2017, 19:07
Topic: Hardware

Korean hardware developer Junsoft has had some good discussions with software and hardware developers in this forum thread. After his final post there back in February 2017 it went a bit silent. Probably because he set off developing this monster soundcard. Since a few weeks Dal-So-Ri R2.0 can be ordered on Junsoft's blog.

The specifications:

• YMF274B (OPL4)
  • YRW801M (sampleROM)
  • 4MB SampleRAM
  • Audio DAC, stereo headphone amplifier
  • Memory mapper: flash memory (128kB or more), SRAM (32kB or more)
  • 3.5mm stereo jack
  • 4 dipswitches

There are several new features on this revision of the first Dal-So-Ri, which was nothing more than a well crafted and good sounding Moonsound clone. To name a few, here is a list with extra's

• The I/O port can be changed which means two OPL4 cartridges can be used at the same time
  • It is possible to use it as a regular Moonsound clone with the 2MB GM soundROM and 2MB custom sampleRAM, but the GM soundROM can be switched off to make the complete 4MB sampleRAM available to your own choosing.
  • There is room to insert flash MSX-Audio BIOS to its onboard flashROM.

The extra functions can be flashed to its flashROM with a special flash tool where settings can be set by using the four dipswitches. This shows there are a lot of new things to discover in the already extensive world of MSX soundchips.

Contact Junsoft on his blog if you're curious about more details, the price + shipping or to order one (or more if you want to share shipping with friends).

If you don't own a Moonsound compatible soundcard, this is the card you will need.
If you want to play some of the Compile games with MSX-Audio, this is the card you will need.
And still there will probably be more reasons to get your hands on this soundcard. Discuss the reasons below.

Let's just round up the above: Buy it.

By Grauw

Grauw's picture

29-06-2017, 23:15

@Meits: A few comments about the post; it is not an MSX-Audio sound extension. It has the BIOS, and a few games which use it will be compatible, but the majority of MSX-Audio software (e.g. MoonBlaster 1.4) will not work with it. Also, “to gain 4MB sampleRAM” — you gain 2 MB, technically Smile, the base amount which is always available is 2 MB. And I would leave out the bit about the memory mapper; it might be confused to mean RAM expansion, whereas it’s just an implementation detail about how the MSX-Audio BIOS is addressed. Sorry, nitpicking!

By Meits

Meits's picture

29-06-2017, 19:36

See, that's where I appreciate the input. The manual is written using words guys like you understand way better. Will take measures soon... Unfortunately I have some other obligations first.
Thanks Grauw Smile

29-06-2017, 20:40

120 euros

By MichelM

Expert (66)

MichelM's picture

29-06-2017, 22:25

I'm curious if it comes with a case and if so, what the final product looks like.

By Grauw

Grauw's picture

29-06-2017, 23:15

@Meits: Top! But you forgot to update the frontpage teaser text Big smile.

By Sebbeug

Expert (118)

Sebbeug's picture

29-06-2017, 23:21

MichelM wrote:

120 euros for a nude one (only board).
You have to add an Overrich case (about 5 euros). Exists in blue transparent, black transparent, or white.

About shipping cost... Depending numbers and destination.

Jun is very reactive, and very serious.

By JunSoft

Rookie (24)

JunSoft's picture

30-06-2017, 03:58

Thanks for this news post Smile

Since the price information is unveiled (that was special offer for Sebbeug Wink), I confirm you:
DalSoRi R2.0 board: 120 EURO / 140 USD
Shipping cost is from 30 EURO (this is minimum for Europe) / 40 USD (America)
Overrich case: 5 EURO / 6 USD
And the custom(tax), I can't say anything about that.

Currently, only 3~4 units available, so if you want one, hurry up Smile
If they are sold out, and if more want, I can make more. I don't know exactly how many,
but push me to try Cool

I did already small test
Check the possibility.

And technically I'd like to note:
DalSoRi R2.0 is not compatible to MSX-AUDIO. It has just a special kind of memory mapper to run
patched MSX-AUDIO BIOS. The ADPCM part is totally missing. Some software are working and others are not.
Some music can be enhanced, some are not. MB1.4 works but the drum part of MSX-AUDIO is missing .
However, you can hear enhanced FM sound with OPLL + DalSoRi R2.0

DalSoRi R2.0 is a kind of challenging project to see the future :)

Any question is welcome.
Thanks

By kuro

Resident (33)

kuro's picture

30-06-2017, 04:08

When do you plan to release it?
I am very interested.

By JunSoft

Rookie (24)

JunSoft's picture

30-06-2017, 04:48

@kuro

Already released. If you want one, just send an e-mail to jsfx@daum.net

By JunSoft

Rookie (24)

JunSoft's picture

04-07-2017, 02:56

Hello everyone,

Special thanks to all who (pre)ordered DalSoRi R2.0
Currently, DalSoRi R2.0 is out of stock. And scheduled to make 2nd batch.
If you want one, send an e-mail to me NOW Smile. I must estimate how many boards are needed.

All pre-ordered DalSoRis will be ready in 2-3 weeks if there is no problem. I'll send an e-mail
to each person when the package is ready.

Greetings,
Jun

By Sebbeug

Expert (118)

Sebbeug's picture

05-07-2017, 22:11

Here are stickers in 600dpi :

- Colorized (blue)
or
- Black & White

It's a personal work... Only a proposal... B-)

By alexito

Expert (116)

alexito's picture

08-07-2017, 02:29

WAUUU!!!!! OPL1 & OPL4 in just one cartridge.

Thanks Jun.

By alexito

Expert (116)

alexito's picture

08-07-2017, 13:51

But the good thing about Dalsori R2 is his huge 4096k SRAM for wave SAMPLES with this Independent Audio Processor, SFX in games will be more easy and impressive to incorporate. I'm talking about already games for MSX or FRANKY/PLAYSONIQ. One of my dreams is to see some MSX or SMS games with Enhanced SFX or BGM using this kind of modern hardware.

Cheers for the MSX Scene.

Wink

By Grauw

Grauw's picture

08-07-2017, 17:11

Nice looking CX5M Big smile.

When I receive my cartridge I’ll add some support for the 4 MB sample RAM to VGMPlay.

(VGMPlay’s OPL4 support is not complete currently; when I coded it there were only Sonyc OPL4 VGMs which work fine. However now there are quite a few more from arcade games, but these use the memory where the built-in instruments ROM is located on MoonSounds. On DalSoRi R2.0 this is quite simple to support, simply switching it to 4 MB mode. For the other MoonSounds I need to implement some relocation processing step.)

08-07-2017, 20:19

What's the grey connector at 2:56?

By alexito

Expert (116)

alexito's picture

09-07-2017, 02:23

This CX5M MSX Computer have F18A VDP (0:23) added so VGA is Available. more info at:

By Grauw

Grauw's picture

14-07-2017, 20:53

Received today! Looks great, and works like a charm Smile. I also like the new position of the audio output jack socket on the side, it’s less receded and I think it’ll fit plugs better. So no need to use narrow jacks anymore, although I have yet to drill the hole in the casing.

I’ll have to start experimenting with the new features.

By kuro

Resident (33)

kuro's picture

16-07-2017, 12:11

Hi june.

I reply twice on July 11 and July 7.
Please check your e-mail.

By JunSoft

Rookie (24)

JunSoft's picture

17-07-2017, 02:34

@kuro

It seems that the mail server is unstable or your e-mail was filtered out somewhere.

I have not received your e-mail at July 11, I received one e-mail yesterday (July 16).
But your phone number is still missing.

Try to use another e-mail account if you have, or/and send to jsfx3@naver.com