First batch of TSXDuino hardware available

First batch of TSXDuino hardware available

by DrWh0 on 03-10-2018, 17:18 translated by PAC
Topic: Hardware
Tags: TSX

The first units of TSXDuino are already being delivered! Thanks to user Pablibiris we will be able to enjoy this hardware soon.

What does it consist of? It is a TZXDuino adapted in an MSX cartridge case without external power supply (plug and play). The design comes from Edu Arana and interestingly it was born thanks to a picture from @Errazking, where a TZXDuino was placed in an MSX slot (for convenience).

That encouraged Edu Arana to start working on this project to bring us this hardware to MSX and support this new format making things a little more simple. The hardware specifications are:

• REMOTE connector to control pauses during loading (only in this version from Pablo).
  • OLED display.
  • MicroSD slot.
  • Upgradeable through miniUSB port.
  • It works with version 1.41 of Maxduino! (It allows configuration of motor control, bauds, etc).
  • High compatibility of formats, it loads .TSX/.CAS/.TZX/.CDT/.TAP files.
  • Multisystem! It can be used in other systems just connecting the miniUSB port.

It is also planned to design, not in short term, a TSXDuino without data cable that allows the files to be launched through the MSX slot.

By hamlet

hamlet's picture

04-10-2018, 11:15

I appreciate this work very much, I like tapes much.
If I understand the description correctly, will a future batch make a cable from the module to the cassette input redundant?
At the moment I don't see any advantages except the power supply through the cartridge slot. However, this occupies a valuable slot.
Well, I'm looking forward to future improvements.
Is there a vague price tag and will it have a shell?

By Hydragon

Hero (641)

Hydragon's picture

05-10-2018, 03:00

More cartridges, in this case I prefer the CASDuino personally, since all you have to do is attach it to the data cable on cassette input and get the .cas files rolling. Since when we did get so many other "extensions" for tapes besides .CAS. 5 diff extensions just for tape input makes it kinda confusing to be honest.

By CASDuino

Expert (67)

CASDuino's picture

06-10-2018, 12:07

It must be mentioned that this is a totally unofficial product and that the TSX file format may be more accurate than CAS but it less flexible. I hope that in the design of this cart they have managed to work out the issues with Class10 SD cards being powered by 5V that many of the clones have.

The REMOTE connection is not only available in this version, it is available on the original version here, and several other clones. It is by no means unique and the whole point of the original design was to add this functionality.

It should also be mentioned that TZXDuino and CASDuino are open source projects as should the design of this board.

MAXDuino is also an unofficial firmware that is not supported by the ArduiTape team.

I would also like there to be credit to Andrew Beer for his hard work in the original design and programming.

Hydragon wrote:

The other extensions are for other machines and are not needed for this cart. The good thing is that you should be able to upload CASDuino firmware to it and have full baud adjustment (Faster than 1200 baudrate using TSX files is highly problematic with TZXDuino).

By Pablibiris

Pablibiris's picture

07-10-2018, 16:22

This cartridge is exactly the same as any other clone. The only difference is that it's the only one that you can put directly in the cartridge slot to feed the board and thus avoid a power cable, in addition to the comfort that supposes. In addition it can be used in other systems without it being necessary to use it in the MSX only. You can use the 5 extension files in other systems.
The board is tested with speeds until 3850 bauds,with possibility to select 1200,2400,3600 ir 3850 bauds.
I have installed Maxduino because for me it is better and more complete and it's supported by the Maxduino team.
Obviously,this project is free.
Thanks Edu Arana for your great work on this board

By DrWh0

DrWh0's picture

07-10-2018, 16:40

Hi everyone Smile

In first place I have to clearly state that I am not a seller,manager or developer of this product.

I submitted this news item because I think this is a very interesting project for MSX users and people interested on preservation not only for playing games in cas format (because CAS format is a disaster from a preservation point of view) so I would like to clarify a couple of facts:

In the text, regarding casduino name (like Arduino for example):

As you can clearly see there is no any kind of CASDUINO mention so I don´t understand what is needed to clarify

Regarding to credits:

All are clearly stated on the git page of the project:

CartridgeDuino
A MSX version of the TZXDUINO made by @edu_arana and coworked with @jgilcas.

Based on the original design of Andrew Beer, Duncan Edwards.

This CartridgeDuino / tzxduino version has been made to act as an MSX cartridge but only to take the power +5V and GND from the MSX connector and use it on the board. Also the arduino pro mini has been replaced with a NANO to make easy to upgrade. I have used parts of my TZXDUINO RELOADED design for this.

Regarding the potential issues you mention:

As a fork/derivative work/separate project in which you are not involved:

I think that possibly those design faults you mentioned are corrected on this hardware (are different projects).

So I think that you should make a full review of real hardware so you can help each others to make a better hardware/software (that is the spirit of an open source project).

Personally I would be VERY HAPPY you do it

Pointing design faults in an different, non tested hardware nor related to Casduino like you have said is a nonsense and could be misunderstood as a negative position against another project (personally I don´t think so)

I am not writing this in order to defend the work of nobody specifically, only I am pointng a potentional origin of confrontation that can harm both projects and future of open source projects for MSX.

Thanks for your attention and for reading a so long text :)

By AbrahamCas

Resident (35)

AbrahamCas's picture

07-10-2018, 20:25

Hi!,
I have one of this new devices and also a tzxduino .
I decided to add this piece of hardware to my collection for avoiding another power suply for the device and this was great for my setup (not so much space and lot of cables, hehehe) and in the other hand the future posibility of the modification for use the slot bus to transmit the .cas and .tsx files directly to the machine. Also TSXduino works with my speccy and my CPC6128 perfectly.
Trying loadcax from cartridges like MFR i founded that its a little bit tricky and lot of games failed, so im so happy with this device for loading cassette files. I have tryed this device in all my MSX computers and it works fine in every one of them. In some i have reached the maximum bauds and in others i just reached 2400, but it depends of the sensibility of each model.

Here some photos:

Quote:

Wich is the "official" and wich is the difference between the oficial and the clones of these open source projects?
I think this is just a variation specifically oriented to MSX and that is good for us, the users. About .TSX it's different yes, and thats good for me, more formats more fun. As i understod from an interview of the authors of this new format it is a more accurate thought to improve preservation of the cassettes and it is good to have another format :)

Long life to MSX!

By CASDuino

Expert (67)

CASDuino's picture

08-10-2018, 12:54

Pablibiris wrote:

Obviously,this project is free.
Thanks Edu Arana for your great work on this board

The cartridge is the same as any other clone so therefore it has the same design flaw in that a class 10 SD card will not work properly if the board is being supplied with only 5v of power either via the cartridge slot or the USB port.

The firmware has various speeds but not all TSX files will work at the higher speeds. Many will not work about 2400 baudrate.

Again the MAXDuino team are an unofficial team and are not supported by the Arduitape team, the original creators of the device.

DrWh0 wrote:

Hi everyone Smile

In the text, regarding casduino name (like Arduino for example):

TZXDuino, CASDuino, and ArduiTape were originally designed and built by Andrew Beer and Duncan Edwards. This project is only possible because of their work. Also mention should be made to Natalia Pujol who added the TSX ID to the TZXDuino firmware.

Regarding to credits:

All are clearly stated on the git page of the project:

CartridgeDuino
A MSX version of the TZXDUINO made by @edu_arana and coworked with @jgilcas.

Based on the original design of Andrew Beer, Duncan Edwards.

You did not mention the Github in the original post but I'm glad that the design of the board has been made OpenSource

Regarding the potential issues you mention:

As a fork/derivative work/separate project in which you are not involved:

Personally I would be VERY HAPPY you do it

You think but you have not tested.
The 4050D should fix the issue but it really needs to be tested.

Quote:

CASDuino and TZXDuino use the same hardware. They are related because without the CASDuino the TZXDuino would never have been built. Without the basics in the CASDuino firmware the TZXDuino firmware would never have been written. The reason that I have pointed out the potential design flaw is so that the cartridge is working properly for customers and also so that I do not have to deal with any issues that arises from those design flaws.

By Pablibiris

Pablibiris's picture

08-10-2018, 15:02

Tested here with a 10 class SD and working without problems.
Don't worry...you don't have to deal with anyone. This is not your design and you don't builded this boards.
Best regards Wink

By CASDuino

Expert (67)

CASDuino's picture

08-10-2018, 15:29

Pablibiris wrote:

Tested here with a 10 class SD and working without problems.

Good I'm glad you have fixed the issues.

Best regards Wink

By Pablibiris

Pablibiris's picture

08-10-2018, 18:13

hamlet wrote:

However, this occupies a valuable slot.

I hope you don't want to use OPL4 or V9990 with tape games ^_^

And @CASduino , 30 boards selled and no issues until now Wink

By CASDuino

Expert (67)

CASDuino's picture

08-10-2018, 18:27

Pablibiris wrote:

And @CASduino , 30 boards selled and no issues until now Wink

I'm glad. I hope it stays that way.

By hamlet

hamlet's picture

08-10-2018, 20:10

@Pablibiris Well, a slot occupied to see, only because of a 5V supply seems to me as already mentioned a waste. I very much welcome the planned extension to a pure cartridge player, which makes tape games much easier to handle for tR owners.
But (please don't put my words on the scales) I don't see any reason for your very offensive approach to the writing . Without people like CASDuino, such a project would certainly have been difficult. Please consider this. We use accommodating expressions in our postings as we are all gain the same: A world full of happy MSX users.
And tapes. We need more tapes.
Didn't we?

By Pablibiris

Pablibiris's picture

08-10-2018, 23:19

Please,remember to me when I was offensive :O

By DrWh0

DrWh0's picture

09-10-2018, 12:15

Hi guys,

Please calm down, I am seeing a temperature increase here, and it´s negative for everyone:

I am responding to this thread because I received aggresive response and start seeing a more and more aggresive responses between users from my well-meaning post to the objections (that´s what I thought at start) of Casduino user:

I resume what I am seeing here:

Preface:

A bunch of developers makes TAPDuino hardware and published it under open source

* Another developers make a port for MSX and adopt CAS format making CASDUINO

* Some guys improve the project and makes TSXDuino (very useful not only for playing)

* I publish the news item because I think that is a cool thing, works great and I believe is a very useful device for MSX users around the globe.

Response from author of Casduino:

* Complains about authoring (whose work is based on TAPDuino for C64 & ArduiTape):

* About similarities in the name and confusing "trademarks?":

I suppose he is reffering to TAPDuino, CASDuino, TSXDuino, Ardutape, Cartridgeduino.....

* About original authors mentions:

All of them are properly mentioned from parent project in each project

* Points faults in design without testing the hardware nor asking to TSXDuino authors about it

* A humble user like me points this you it, in order to avoid a negative discussion against casduino and viceversa, and accused me not testing something himself never tested (absurd).

In spite of all of above I didn´t mentioned the absurd of the situation for not being pointed like I were hurting his project (any card I had worked)

Everyone knows that a 10MB/sg card is very useful for loading tapes while a TurboR with a Novaxis SCSI -the fastest real world perfomance- reached 417KB/sg)

* Labeling TSXDuino as a "clone" of his project

Then we forgot TAPDuino, ArdiTape, Caslink or whatever that has the same function?

* The manufacturer of TSXDuino predictably answer you peaceably, correcting you like I feared.

And the more absurd thing, some users qualify the response as aggresive WTF!!!

Please if we are going to have this kind of negative discussion each time someone releases a project we are going to kill future MSX platform developments and create confrontations between users

If, in spite of this post anyone remains aggresive, wants to kill me because he thinks that I hate casduino, tsxduino or any user or thinks I killed their cat or I want to discuss with a negative actitude.

I recommend him/her to pet a dog, here you have one, is very therapeutic.

Kind Regards, and if I offended you in any manner I am sorry, has been unintentional

By CASDuino

Expert (67)

CASDuino's picture

09-10-2018, 13:11

DrWh0 wrote:

Hi guys,

I resume what I am seeing here:

Preface:

* Another developers make a port for MSX and adopt CAS format making CASDUINO

Wrong.
Tapuino inspired ArduiTape. It doesn't use the same design and doesn't use any of the firmware it also uses a standard connection rather than the C64 connectors.
From Arduitape we developed CASDuino.
From CASDuino we developed TZXDuino.

TSXDuino is based on the TZXDuino and uses firmware that uses code from both CAS and TZXDuino.
The only significant change they've made is to make it powered by the Cartridge slot.
The Remote Contol has been an integral part of the design from Arduitape and is not only available on this clone of mine and Andrew Beers work as you state in the original post.
When you publish news you should at least make sure that the information you have is correct.

Response from author of Casduino:

I have always stated that the inspiration for the projects were from TAPuino. Again the only similarity in the hardware is the Arduino Nano and the SD card.

* About similarities in the name and confusing "trademarks?":

* About original authors mentions:

All of them are properly mentioned from parent project in each project

You did not link to the Github which credited the original authors just said that it was Pablibris and Erdu Arana.

Quote:

It is a common fault that is well known with clones and I asked if the fault had been fixed.

Quote:

I asked if it had been tested with Class 10 SD cards because many clones of the original hardware have a fault where they cannot read Class 10 SD cards if they are powered only by 5v.

Quote:

I was asking a question if the problem had been fixed!!!!!!

Quote:

That doesn't even make any sense. I'm not talking about the size of the sd card I'm talking about the speed of the SD card. It makes no difference on how fast the games are loaded but when many variants of the TZXDuino hardware are powered by 5v they cannot read a Class10 SD card properly.

* Labeling TSXDuino as a "clone" of his project

Again you have your facts wrong.
Tapuino uses different hardware and firmware.
Arduitape uses very similar hardware and has similarities in the firmware but was also designed in part by me.
CASlink is something completely different but I'll assume you meant CASDuino, again designed partially by me, uses the same hardware as TZXDuino. Uses firmware that TZXDuino and MAXDuino are based upon.

Quote:

And the more absurd thing, some users qualify the response as aggresive WTF!!!

Aggressive?

What is aggressive about "Good I'm glad you have fixed the issues." and "Sadly I know from experience that this is not the case as I still get people asking me about issues with their clone boards and MAXDuino."?

Quote:

I recommend him/her to pet a dog, here you have one, is very therapeutic.

If you had gotten you facts straight in the original post there wouldn't be any "negative actitude".
Remote Control is available on ArduiTape, CASDuino, and the original TZXDuino and not just on this board.
The TSX Baudrate options do not work with all TSX files. Some fail at 2400 baudrate, most fail at 3600 baudrate, and non (in my experience) work at 3850 baudrate.

I am glad that they have fixed the issues with Class10 SD cards. It's a concern taken off my mind.

By the way, that dog picture was intentionally meant to offend and you know it. So not only do you seem incapable of getting your facts right but you are insincere too.

By Pablibiris

Pablibiris's picture

09-10-2018, 13:29

A TSXDuino said this:

AbrahamCas wrote:

Hi!,
I have one of this new devices and also a tzxduino .

Here some photos:

Long life to MSX!

That's all :)

By DrWh0

DrWh0's picture

09-10-2018, 13:33

Your posts are a clear example of FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt) and clear manipulation, after it, you are starting to insult everyone even you are against a simple photo of a dog I found in the first results of google! (I don´t see what you have against dogs, maybe I am breaking any copyright photo?)

So I will not continue with this kind of aggresive discussion and I will resume the main fact in one sentence:

TSXDuino product is objetively better than Casduino, deal with it

Thanks for reading, and keep in mind ALWAYS I don´t have anything personal against anyone here, and i am grateful about any MSX project, I am against certain ATTITUDES not against persons.

By AbrahamCas

Resident (35)

AbrahamCas's picture

09-10-2018, 19:06

By hamlet

hamlet's picture

09-10-2018, 20:13

Mod: I beg you please to stop this confrontation. If you won't get back to facts, I will close this thread temporary. Thank you guys!

By Hydragon

Hero (641)

Hydragon's picture

10-10-2018, 06:59

DrWh0 wrote:

TSXDuino product is objetively better than Casduino, deal with it

An actual datrecorder is external and not in cartridge format which just wastes another slot, something that the casduino actually delivers: external hardware connected to the ports it's intended to be. Making it a cartridge version for just avoiding a simple 5v cable or powering it by usb whatsoever and wasting another slot because of this reason, doesn't get me interested at all.

By MSX Calamar

Rookie (23)

MSX Calamar's picture

10-10-2018, 08:08

Hydragon wrote:
DrWh0 wrote:

TSXDuino product is objetively better than Casduino, deal with it

Conecting it to a MSX slot it is not a must. It's an option.
As descrived in the first post you can also power it via microUSB port. So you can use it inserted in the slot, or as usual, powering it externally.

By Hydragon

Hero (641)

Hydragon's picture

10-10-2018, 08:32

MSX Calamar wrote:

Conecting it to a MSX slot it is not a must. It's an option.

It's upgradable over USB. Nothing mentioned as external use: " It is a TZXDuino adapted in an MSX cartridge case without external power supply (plug and play)"

By Pablibiris

Pablibiris's picture

10-10-2018, 09:10

Just read the news:

"It can be used in other systems just connecting the miniUSB port." The same for the MSX. You can use It just using the USB like power supply.

And you said that with this cartridge you waste a cartridge slot...I repeat: you want to use V9990 or OPL4 to play tape games? Wink

By Hydragon

Hero (641)

Hydragon's picture

10-10-2018, 09:18

Pablibiris wrote:

Just read my previous comments an you will see I allready use the best device: CASDuino. Average load per game, fe After Burner: 3 minutes.

By Pablibiris

Pablibiris's picture

10-10-2018, 09:28

After Burner with OPL4 and with V9990 Big smile

By hamlet

hamlet's picture

10-10-2018, 09:40

It would be very great to have a such a device for tR's or Casio's which don't have a DIN Tape connector.
So I'm really looking forward to an upgrade that transfer the datas internaly.
And well, I remember a view situations when I run out of sluts...

By hamlet

hamlet's picture

10-10-2018, 09:41

Slots, I meant slots!

By MSX Calamar

Rookie (23)

MSX Calamar's picture

10-10-2018, 10:48

Hydragon wrote:
MSX Calamar wrote:

Conecting it to a MSX slot it is not a must. It's an option.

Please, read first post and take a look at last specification mentioned there:

Quote:

Multisystem! It can be used in other systems just connecting the miniUSB port.

By Hydragon

Hero (641)

Hydragon's picture

10-10-2018, 12:12

That's simply a half baked line, could have been much more specific, since this is yet no guarantee it is actually a fact, since some random people are saying it is, but no one can actually confirm this.

By Pablibiris

Pablibiris's picture

10-10-2018, 13:09

I confirmed It two times.But if you want,I can confirm It again ^^

By FiXato

FiXato's picture

10-10-2018, 16:38

Hey, why won't we create a datacassette game with OPL4 and Music Module music? Smile

By hamlet

hamlet's picture

10-10-2018, 21:04

You mean a Mix-Tape!

By rcmolina

Supporter (2)

rcmolina's picture

25-10-2018, 00:20

Good job Pablibiris, wonderful device! Smile

By hamlet

hamlet's picture

25-10-2018, 08:55

Is this hardware available? Can't find where to order and how much will it cost?

By Bastion Rebel

Resident (52)

Bastion Rebel's picture

26-10-2018, 07:07

good evening

Good news after research and modification, adaptation of the source code for my PCB I inform you that the new code based on CODE MAXDUINO 1.41M2 is operational !!

ie we can now read .CAS or .TSX files with the same PCB and the same ATMEGA 328.

the code of 1.41 expected for ATMEGA2560 with more output has been changed for the ATMEGA 328 a function has been deleted (for now) the deletion of a file from the SD card

the tests are conclusive ..

here are some photos...