New batch of Powergraph Rev. 2 by Tecnobytes

New batch of Powergraph Rev. 2 by Tecnobytes

by PAC on 09-11-2016, 16:38
Topic: Hardware
Tags: GFX9000

Tecnobytes team is working in a new lot of Powergraph video cards. The revision 2 of the cartridge comes with a 15KHz VGA compatible output so all pins of the RGB connector are compatibles with VGA definitions, including the optional 5V in PIN 9.

Price $125 USD. There are very few units available so, what are you waiting for?

Relevant link: Tecnobytes

By msd

msd's picture

09-11-2016, 18:34

I thought many VGA displays don't support 15khz? Also does this mean you can use the 640x400 mode? The 640x480 mode needs a different osc. iirc

By tvalenca

tvalenca's picture

10-11-2016, 17:27

There are some VGA displays which support 15kHz horizontal cycle rate. Of course most of them won't, but isn't that hard finding one. (at least here in Brazil). Also, IIRC there are a few DB15sub to SCART adapters out there, that may work for european TV sets.

About resolutions, V9990's 640x400 resolution uses 25.3kHz horizontal cycle rate, which is more than tv (and CGA) horizontal rate (15.75kHz) and EGA 640x350 rate (21.8 kHz) and less than VGA's 640x480 rate (31.5kHz). I'm not sure if this specific resolution will "lock" on any tv/monitor available nowadays.

By sd_snatcher

sd_snatcher's picture

12-11-2016, 00:58

Tip1: Most projectors also support 15kHz VGA.

Tip2: On Europe, the VGA 15kHz shouldn't be a problem, since the majority of TVs have a SCART input. You just have to built yourself this very simple VGA to SCART adapter cable.

I have build one such cable for me and this circuit works perfectly. But you must add a connection from the VGA pin-9 to both the SCART pin-8 and pin-16 using a 100R resistor on each. This is missing in that schematic.

By msd

msd's picture

13-11-2016, 20:28

So i guess this vga output is very usefull in countries where tv's don't have scart?

By Protoman

Resident (44)

Protoman's picture

14-11-2016, 17:02

Ordered mine! Can't wait! Smile

By tvalenca

tvalenca's picture

14-11-2016, 18:07

Yes, but there's a catch: Most TV's with with VGA input doesn't support SD resolutions though this input. Maybe what's missing is an RGB-to-Component Video converter, because this is the equivalent connection (in video quality) to SCART.

By -Neo-

-Neo-'s picture

18-11-2016, 20:18

I bought the rev. 1 and an adapter from the propriety VGA connector to the RGB over VGA connector. However, when I tried to use it, it became apparant a signal was missing which in fact makes the adapter I bought useless. I think it was the +5V that is missing?

Is there a way to get the right signals so I can use SCART RGB after all on my rev. 1 Powergraph? If so, does it require soldering and is there anyone who can help with this?

By syn

syn's picture

19-11-2016, 15:39

To be honest I havent used it myself yet, I also have an adapter.

I was wondering -neo-, is the cable you have even the correct one? Because I was checking the schematics and as far as I can tell, a cable for scart output to vga input is obviously wired differently than one for scart input to vga output. I checked many many shops, some weren't clear what they are selling and many were not the right type (intended for scart output to a vga input), so I decided it was safer to just use the S-video connector of the powergraph (which I am using now) or to manually rewire a scart to vga cable.

By sd_snatcher

sd_snatcher's picture

19-11-2016, 13:01

msd wrote:

Why? To me, it seems very useful in countries that have SCART too.

I only wish that it had the superimposer built-in. Not the expensive digitizer, but only the cheap superimposer.

By iamweasel2

iamweasel2's picture

19-11-2016, 16:27

sd_snatcher wrote:

You mean superimposition with the internal VDP? How that could be done?

By Albert Pieter Dotinga

Resident (39)

Albert Pieter Dotinga's picture

20-11-2016, 20:21

Nice Wink
but why no HDMI?

I'm the proud owner of a real old v9990 and a moonsound Tongue

By sd_snatcher

sd_snatcher's picture

22-11-2016, 20:02

iamweasel2 wrote:
sd_snatcher wrote:

You mean superimposition with the internal VDP? How that could be done?

An RGB SuperImposer is pretty simple to do, since the majority of the circuit is already built-in in the VDPs since the V9938. It would only be difficult if CVBS SuperImpose was desired. But that's not the case.

All you need is to attach a generic genlock IC and a cheap 74HC4053 IC. I wonder why nobody assembles V9990 cards with those.

By Protoman

Resident (44)

Protoman's picture

20-01-2017, 14:31

Anyone receive their card yet?... I'm still waiting for mine oO

By Protoman

Resident (44)

Protoman's picture

12-03-2017, 03:11

Finally received my PowerGraph card! Now for testing Wink

By journey

journey's picture

12-03-2017, 09:33

Received mine a couple of days ago. Rev.2a

Tested with Composite (OK), S-Video (OK), VGA (no images), VGA-SCART (no images).

By valkyre

valkyre's picture

12-03-2017, 10:53

@journey, have you made a purpose made vga-scart lead? Mine works fine with the homemade lead.

By journey

journey's picture

12-03-2017, 12:31

valkyre wrote:

Ehm...no...I have used a normal VGA cable and a normal VGA->Scart cable.. Smile

By valkyre

valkyre's picture

12-03-2017, 13:41

The vga to scart needs a specific configuration and also 2 resistors adding in the Scart.

My MSX profile