Playsoniq + MIDI-PAC demo

by snout on 13-10-2010, 00:20
Topic: Hardware

Source: SuperSoniqs

During the MSX Vriendenclub Marienberg meeting that was held last weekend, SuperSoniqs showed that their PlaySoniq works nicely together with the soon to be released MIDI-PAC. Basically, this means that you not only get to play MSX games which originally used the MSX-MUSIC in neat General MIDI sound, but also classic SEGA games that use the OPLL. Right here on Youtube you can check how it all works out in several SEGA games.

Relevant link: Playsoniq + MIDI-PAC demo

By syn

syn's picture

15-10-2010, 09:57

I wasnt interested in this (Midi-Pac) project at first but after looking at the video my conclusion is: Amazing! Great stuff.

By snout

snout's picture

15-10-2010, 18:30

I for one like the instrument selection. I reckon this is done automatically for general midi? How is the OPLL user instrument handled?

16-10-2010, 09:19

It sounds a lot better than I expected indeed! Well done!

What happens with sound effects programmed on the OPLL? Smile (Probably you get weirdness... luckily most soundfx are done on PSG).

By Sander

Ambassador (1816)

Sander's picture

17-10-2010, 11:43

For the user instrument Tjeerd make a algoritm that select a gm instrument based on the register values. Most of the times this works out very well.

By Meits

Meits's picture

17-10-2010, 11:51

Manuel, indeed.
Next youtube video should be with an Aleste game. Curious how those sfx sound.

By Sander

Ambassador (1816)

Sander's picture

17-10-2010, 11:53

In the vid, all effects in Ys and Scramble Spirits are handled by MIDI sounds. I think it sounds reasonable enough ;-). On Sega, most games don't use combinations of PSG and FM. On MSX, most games do.
But, in all cases: the mapping of FM-Sounds to General MIDI can be adjusted through the configuration software. You can also set the default instrument for the user fm voice etc. Or reverb, stereo panning per channel/instrument(!) etc. All general midi stereo recorded instruments can be placed differently in stereo space! From mono FM to real full stereo sound!

By Sander

Ambassador (1816)

Sander's picture

17-10-2010, 11:55

Adjusted config files can be saved. So you can make better configs for particular games (like Aleste) and swap them with other users.

By WORP3

WORP3's picture

17-10-2010, 19:52

That's a nice movie you got there Sander Wink

You are right, all original OPLL voices are translated to a subset of standard voices using my own algorithm, those standard voices are all configurable by the user !
As it's still a translation algorithm, not all voices are exactly as what the original voice was pretended to be, but i guess that around 90% are correct Wink

Cheers,
Tjeerd.

By WORP3

WORP3's picture

20-10-2010, 10:19

Please take a look at the Spanish msx.org for some more information/discussion:

By guantxip

guantxip's picture

20-10-2010, 16:40

I have questions about Playsoniq.

I'm owner of Franky and games with 4mega don't work in my Turbo R ST with 4mb external cartridge. In msx2 works fine. I want to know if I buy Playsoniq this problem will end. Works all the Sega games or need patch like Franky?

Another problem that I see is the cable of Franky, Gfx9000 and OCM (rgb) don't work directly in some Tv. I use a double switch with Turbo R's cable on it to see it.

Sorry for the english. Tongue

By guantxip

guantxip's picture

20-10-2010, 18:49

And last question, Is it possible save states in games like Ys or Golden Axe Warrior?

By Sander

Ambassador (1816)

Sander's picture

21-10-2010, 22:38

PlaySoniq includes a 1MB sega memory mode, so yes memory issues are of the past. First versions of Franky did not include 5 Volt on pin 11 to force scart tv's into RGB mode. So tv's with no support for CVBS/RGB without detection could be problematic. Newer versions of Franky, cables and of course the playsoniq support this switching. So no problems anymore.

My MSX profile