As you all probably remember, few months ago we reported about Rookie Drive 720, what we could describe as the first MSX interface able to manage USB devices like pendrives or HD. Despite good reactions from the community, xavirompe was aware about its limitations, mainly the limited access to DSK files images of 720KB only.
During this time he has been working hard in order to improve this device and give the MSX community what they expect, so Rookie Drive NX is the result. Now Nextor is the operating system by default and, as a bonus, this new interface keeps all the features of the previous version so the ROM includes both functionalities. The main features are as follows:
Rookie Drive 720
- USB port support for formatted devices in Fat12, Fat16 and Fat32.
- Usage of disk images of 720kb.
- Call commands to handle disk images.
- It works on MSX1 and higher.
Rookie Drive NX
- DiskROM of 320 kb (“reflasheable”) to boot the operating system.
- USB port for storage devices (pendrive or hard disk) formatted in Fat12 or Fat16.
- Typical functions of Nextor like Fdisk partition tool, multiple logical volumes, hot USB drives swapping and disk images mounting.
- It features a flash memory which allows driver and/or diskrom updating.
- The device includes a switch for ROM disabling.
- Good write/read speed.
- Diskrom recovery, deletion and loading from the drive.
- SymbOS driver.
- CD-ROM access.
The interface will be on sale from the next 29th of April coinciding with RetroMadrid event. Price 50€ (shipping not included). Check xavirompe's profile to contact him and get further information or order your unit.
Relevant link: Rookie drive project site