Xak - The Tower of Gazzel - Map

Xak - The Tower of Gazzel - Map

by wolf_ on 18-04-2012, 21:49
Topic: Media
Tags: Maps, Xak

Xak - The Tower of Gazzel is a genuine quality game for MSX2. This Micro Cabin RPG features beautiful graphics, underscored with technically complex yet stylish and appropriate music - the intro alone is a class of its own. Over a week ago, Meits felt bored and cranked up this last episode of Xak released for our MSX.

Soon enough, Meits got stuck in the game, and internet didn't help him much. In cases like these the standard advice is "create a map", and so he did. Around 950 (!) screenshots later, his map is now finished. There are no enemies in this map, it's all walls-only.

If you haven't played the game (much), the maps show something that may appear uncanny: apart from first screens in the woods, all the locations are interiors. Now, with a name like 'The Tower of Gazzel' this makes sense, of course. Still, with so many adventure games featuring large and far away locations, this game looks like the oddball in the MSX history of RPG games. Now, if only all the MSX oddballs could look this good..

Relevant link: Xak - The Tower of Gazzel - map

By Akiguchi

Hero (620)

Akiguchi's picture

18-04-2012, 22:04

Nice! Thanks Meits! This game is next in line for me, so obviously it's going to be a big help since I probably get stuck at some point. Smile

By Meits

Meits's picture

18-04-2012, 22:07

There's still a lot of puzzling to get from A to B... This is not explained in the maps... But it might help players at some point though Smile

I did a lot of cheating to get this map together though... I used the available trainers in openMSX, the debug mode in the game and some built in cheats to get all items and such...

By fukenko

fukenko's picture

19-04-2012, 06:41

Great! It might need tremendous effort to make this map.

By SkyeWelse

SkyeWelse's picture

19-04-2012, 07:01

This is very nice Melts. It's great to see a full map for each one of these areas. If you don't mind me asking, what would be your best recommended method for taking MSX screenshots? Everything is very crisp and clean. I wish I had followed that when I was taking shots for the Xak website for XyZ...

Btw, if you think you can use scans from it, I believe I have a small guide/pamphlet for Xak: Tower of Gazzel. I believe it had some maps in there with the locations of treasures and that sort of thing if you were interested. I'd have to look at it again to see what all was in there.

-Thomas

By Meits

Meits's picture

19-04-2012, 18:28

John Hassink told me I missed one tiny spot. On the water floor there's one window which leads to another little room. The others let you drop down to the entrance. I assumed they all did Tongue

I might update the map in the future with hints to what item the treasure chest holds, but I'm not sure... Maybe someone with better knowledge of the game could do it.

I used openMSX to capture screenshots with the following setting:
Renderer: SDL
Scaler: 4xsimple
Accuracy: pixel
Scanline: 0
Blur: 0
Glow: 0
Gamma: 1.10

I did find some usefull cheats in an old dutch MSX magazine by the way which were of great help... Will dig them up and post them here...

By Meits

Meits's picture

19-04-2012, 19:01

Another part is missing... I'll see to it now...

By Vampier

Vampier's picture

19-04-2012, 20:30

Meits: you could have jumped through the windows and used reverse if you didn't like the idea (page-up to go back in time)

By Moniz

Moniz's picture

20-04-2012, 12:00

Great work Meits!

I've made notes during my last playthru of this game and I am working on a walkthrough now (is a bout 75% finished)
I wrote it in a way that its very hard to get stuck..
With these maps it's getting even harder Smile

By Akiguchi

Hero (620)

Akiguchi's picture

20-04-2012, 13:24

Is this game really such hard that it is easy to get stuck? I mean I just played through XAK II and the only real challenging situations were the bosses of it.

And btw. was there some bug in the english translation that prevented entering second level? I remember hearing something like that while ago.

By Meits

Meits's picture

20-04-2012, 13:49

That was a copy protection.

Gazzel is not so much about slashing enemies to gain experience and advance quite easily... It's more of solving puzzles and chose the right support member to get anywhere at all...

The bosses are your good old fashioned slash work Tongue

By Akiguchi

Hero (620)

Akiguchi's picture

20-04-2012, 15:13

Is there some trick to bypass the copy protection? Do I need to play my original japanese disks for the particular level?

Oh, something different for a change to the usual leveling madness - great!

By JohnHassink

Ambassador (5578)

JohnHassink's picture

20-04-2012, 18:02

Open the door when playing on the original disks, then go back and save the game I guess.

By Meits

Meits's picture

20-04-2012, 20:58

It says download here. Since it's Generation MSX, I guess MRC is alright with it... Otherwise consider this post never written :RNFF:
Haven't checked if it's the patch or the game though...

20-04-2012, 22:48

There will soon be another way: dump the disk with a new tool and you can play it on openMSX, without removing the copy protection Smile

By SkyeWelse

SkyeWelse's picture

21-04-2012, 05:36

Well it's a mini-guide so it only covers a few maps, but there might be something you can use in there. I've actually never found an official guidebook (covering the whole game) for Tower of Gazzel or Xak III: The Eternal Recurrence for that matter...

Map1
Map2
Map3
Map4

-Thomas

By ro

ro's picture

21-04-2012, 09:55

Good bussy, Jelle. XAK rules. period!

By Edwin

Edwin's picture

21-04-2012, 11:54

I looked at it and my first response was something like: huh, is this all there is? Just a few start screens and a few floors. Then I calculated the size and realised it amounts to about 500 full sc5 screens. Big smile A small distortion by the joys of modern high resolutions displays. Cool Here's to hoping that Meits gets bored again soon!