25th entry to the MRC Snowfall Challenge by GuyveR800

by Latok on 06-01-2004, 00:56
Topic: MRC
Tags: Challenges

Here's the 25th entry to the MRC Snowfall Challenge and it's not even the last. It is a very special one, though. GuyveR800 surprises us with his 'HI-SPEC SNOWFALL'. The title says it all. You'll need an MSX turboR, a V9990 and at least 512kbyte RAM to be able to watch the demo.

Because not everyone has this kind of configuration, we can tell you the demo actually shows a digitized mountain landscape which is rotating 360 degrees in the background. On top of that, you can see large snowflakes falling. To top it of, there is also a huge scroller with a sinusmovement. GuyveR800 has used a very effective crunching algorythm. In fact, the crunched data is being decompressed in real time!

The V9990 isn't emulated in any emulator yet, so if you don't own a Graphics9000, the videocard for MSX with this Yamaha V9990 VDP, the only possibility to watch this demo is by buying one from Sunrise.

The sourcecodes of this entry will later be published and distributed through our Downloads database.

Relevant link: MRC Snowfall Challenge Entry by GuyveR800

By Grauw

Grauw's picture

06-01-2004, 01:10

Cool!

No chance for it to work on a 7MHz Z80??

Guess not... Will have to see it at Oss! (right...? right???)

~Grauw

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9766)

wolf_'s picture

06-01-2004, 01:14

tatatataaa.. those who visited devcon'03 already saw a glimps of it Smile

By Grauw

Grauw's picture

06-01-2004, 01:17

*sniff*... Next time I hope it'll be organized outside the christmas & newyear period... I can't get days off from work during that time.

Hey, maybe DevCon MSX can be organized multiple times a year?? Once a little before the summer aswell...

~Grauw

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9766)

wolf_'s picture

06-01-2004, 01:26

yeah... well, devcon is a flexible party Smile

If the time is right, just shout, and me&legacy will contact the cafe owner, et voila, another devcon.

so... before tilbeurs? after tilbeurs? you name it..!

By Grauw

Grauw's picture

06-01-2004, 01:33

Well, after Tilbeurs, before Bussum? Somewhere in the middle, I'd say... You don't want too many, I think, so not more than two a year. At least I can't afford that many days off, and MSX isn't *that* much reviving, hehe Smile. The last one was not so long ago, and in a few weeks there's Oss, and Tilburg is not very long after that. Between Tilburg and Bussum there's a bit of a void. But don't forget that right before the start of the summer vacation there are exam periods, so you'll have to keep that in mind.

~Grauw

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

06-01-2004, 02:07

You could try it on a MSX2 with Gfx9000, but I don't know if it will run. I get a so far unexplainable crash when running in Z80 mode on my turboR. :/

By BiFi

BiFi's picture

06-01-2004, 07:48

Impressive entry, man. Even the crystals are rotating.

By jalu

Master (156)

jalu's picture

06-01-2004, 12:00

Isn't someone with the required MSX system able to grab a video from this to make this available for download? I am curious, it sounds very impressive. Smile

By BiFi

BiFi's picture

06-01-2004, 12:23

Why not ehrm... buy a gfx9000? Wink

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9766)

wolf_'s picture

06-01-2004, 13:00

because it's not just the gfx9k .. it's the ram and the tR as well ..

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

06-01-2004, 13:10

I would also recommend a Video of that Demo Smile PLEEEAAASEEE ......

By BiFi

BiFi's picture

06-01-2004, 13:17

I thought Jalu has a turboR and if it's an ST it's fairly easy to add 256 KB.

By jalu

Master (156)

jalu's picture

06-01-2004, 13:20

I have a tR and it's a GT. But the GFX9000 is not in my collection yet... And I am curious about this demo. Maybe seeing it would just push me over the edge of buying a gfx9000. Wink

By BiFi

BiFi's picture

06-01-2004, 13:33

See it the other way around. Wanting to see this entry should push you to buy one. Tongue

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

06-01-2004, 13:36

That, and GEM 0wnz on Gfx9000 Wink

By sjoerd

Hero (593)

sjoerd's picture

06-01-2004, 13:39

This snowfall demo indeed also works on msx2 (with gfx9000 and enough memory ofcourse).

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

06-01-2004, 13:54

I suppose it runs ~15 fps in stead of 60 fps on a Z80 ^^;

By Grauw

Grauw's picture

06-01-2004, 14:12

Yep, it works, but it's very slow Smile. 15 fps indeed, maybe a little more. I wonder when the rotating starts Smile.

~Grauw

By sjoerd

Hero (593)

sjoerd's picture

06-01-2004, 14:15

The background is rotating, it just is kinda hard to see with this framerate on msx2, I guess.

By Grauw

Grauw's picture

06-01-2004, 14:16

Hmmm, my MSX its I/O slowdown also seems to work for I/O other than the VDP! So also the Gfx9000 is slowed down, the difference between 3.5MHz and 7MHz isn't as much as it shouldbe. I'll see what I can do about that, shouldn't be too difficult. But not now, gotta go Smile.

~Grauw

By Grauw

Grauw's picture

06-01-2004, 14:19

Oh, Sjoerd, here it is just scrolling horizontally, with large steps!

Strange btw, that the background seems to have a frameskip of some sorts, but the scroller isn't going at full speed... I wouldn't think that one is very CPU sensitive so it doesn't need (and doesn't utilize, judging by what I see) a frameskip.

~Grauw

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

06-01-2004, 14:24

Dude!!! That's not SCROLLING, it's ROTATING!! Perspective correct!

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

06-01-2004, 14:26

This demo is using 95-97% CPU power on R800... It sounds very unlikely to me this can run at anything higher than 15 fps, as R800 is 5-6x faster than Z80, so that's 10-12 fps.

Remember each background step is decompressed in realtime.

By msd

msd's picture

06-01-2004, 19:30

Grauw: Little bit offtopic. Bu it's only a small modification to lett all the ports (except the vdp) run on 7.16Mhz

By Grauw

Grauw's picture

07-01-2004, 01:29

Ah, Guyver, now I see! Like QuickTime 3D Smile. Cool!

And msd, yes, I know, I have done it before. I'll just have to look up the explanation again, and find some time to take my MSX apart Smile. I wonder how much it will matter in speed.

~Grauw

By msd

msd's picture

07-01-2004, 08:59

Grauw. when you have code that uses a lot ot out instructions... a lot..