MRC Bounce Challenge - 11th entry by Nyyrikki

by Latok on 11-10-2004, 12:18
Topic: MRC
Tags: Challenges

They say 11 is the mad man's number. Well, there must be some truth in it, Nyyrikki surprises us again with his very creative mind and is responsible for the 11th Bounce Challenge entry: Diary.

Why Nyyrikki must be a mad man? Just because! Have you checked his previous entry to the MRC Bounce Challenge? Or even better, this entry to the MRC Snowfall Challenge, completely written in Brainfuck?

Diary is a multipart MSX turboR demo. Of course, it features nice effects such as bouncing balls and cool PCM samples. It even contains 4channel MOD music! Way more important though, it is a showcase of weirdness and creativity. Want some keywords? Stockings! Men In Black! Female Skirts and Lapdancing! Now go and find out why it's called Diary.

On October 11th, 23:59 CET the MRC Bounce Challenge closes. If you send your bounce entries to bounce@msx.org before that deadline, you might be the lucky winner of one of these prizes. Less than 12 hours to go!

Relevant link: Diary

By NYYRIKKI

NYYRIKKI's picture

11-10-2004, 12:49

Please use the real thing. Emulators do not work well. With OpenMSX this works somehow, but most of the sounds will be badly disordered.

By BiFi

BiFi's picture

11-10-2004, 12:53

Very impressive entry. It's as if you're really looking at your diary while writing in it.

By Latok

msx guru (3581)

Latok's picture

11-10-2004, 14:02

Calimero? Smile

By NYYRIKKI

NYYRIKKI's picture

11-10-2004, 15:06

Hmm... Wikipedia says: "Calimero is a charming, but hapless Italian anthropomorphized cartoon chicken, the only black one in a family of yellow chickens. He wears half of his egg shell still on his head. Quote: It's unfair, they are big and I am small."

...maybe I let you to decide. :-) The funny thing anyway is, that the story of this demo is actually true!

Another funny detail is, that even this demo does not run correctly on OpenMSX, this was first time I actually used emulator to get things right! In the ball part, I first replayed the sample to OpenMSX debug device and used the "Emutime" output to generate code that outputs the sample in fixed samplerate. It doesn't use the built in sample counter you see. :-)

By Sonic_aka_T

Sonic_aka_T's picture

11-10-2004, 16:13

How do I group the files? It doesn't seem to fit on a single disk. [cough]bitbuster[/cough]

By Grauw

Grauw's picture

11-10-2004, 16:28

'this works somehow'...?

doesn't seem to work in openMSX (0.4.0) overhere... Sad

~Grauw "no turboR"

By NYYRIKKI

NYYRIKKI's picture

11-10-2004, 16:47

Yes, they fit to one single 720Kb disk, just try harder :-)

Grauw: Try DOS2. It seems, that the "This program requires DOS2" error message does not work...

By Grauw

Grauw's picture

11-10-2004, 17:19

Ah, that would probably be the problem, yes.

By NYYRIKKI

NYYRIKKI's picture

11-10-2004, 17:21

Actually you were coughing so hard, that I didn't hear you at a first time. :-) Part of the demo is already packed, but I was too lazy to start compressing the rest when I noticed, that it will fit to disk... Just use empty disk...

By Grauw

Grauw's picture

11-10-2004, 17:31

Nyyrikki, awesome demo!

By NYYRIKKI

NYYRIKKI's picture

11-10-2004, 17:33

Thanx!

By dvik

dvik's picture

11-10-2004, 17:42

Since I don't have a turbo-r I need to play it in an emulator. openMSX seems to work fine except the mod in the dancing part. The mod sounds out of tune and varies in tempo. Anyone knows if this is just a setting that can be changed in openMSX to make it play correctly?

By NYYRIKKI

NYYRIKKI's picture

11-10-2004, 17:50

In OpenMSX All of the samples are playing wrong.

By dvik

dvik's picture

11-10-2004, 18:02

Well, I'd better get a real TR then. The demo is awesome Smile

By mars2000you

mars2000you's picture

11-10-2004, 18:07

dvik, as I have a ST, I will compare the result on the ST with the result with our betas with Turbo-R support. I hope a good surprise ! Smile

By mars2000you

mars2000you's picture

11-10-2004, 19:56

Very nice and original demo ! Smile

The samples are indeed very strange in openMSX Sad

And in blueMSX beta ? I'll only give my impressions to dvik for the moment !

By NYYRIKKI

NYYRIKKI's picture

12-10-2004, 09:47

Latok... I really thought long and hard, what should I say... This is more MSX oriented. :-) Have you ever heard a story about a ninny? :-9

By ccfg