MSX Photoshop Graphic Kit

MSX Photoshop Graphic Kit

by Meits on 29-11-2017, 16:32
Topic: MSX Related
Tags: photoshop

Because the editorial staff of MRC hasn't got knowledge of everything that's being sent to us, we kindly requested some backup from hamlet, the guy we all (should) know because of his photographical artwork, to shed a light on it. In stead of giving some hints he wrote a complete newspost. So hamlet, here's your microphone.

It's always a pity that nobody ever invented a portable MSX computer. So everytime you want to do a screen 8 graphic in your holidays and your wife has forced you to leave the MSX equipment at home and instead take the portable electric fence for your mobile home with you, you can´t do that with your beloved DD-Graph or Philips Videographics.
But that's all in the past now, Brazlilian MSX user chpicolo sent us a work around, that easily provides both import and export SC8 files into a photoshop powered intelstation. It's easy to manage and should work with other graphical apps too.
It is indeed a nice way to edit SC8s on modern hardware. Here's the place you will find all you need to know, the MSX colour scheme for PS and two example pictures.

Relevant link: MSX Photoshop Graphic Kit

By tfh

tfh's picture

29-11-2017, 18:45

You can always install an emulator and your favourite MSX drawing program on a laptop or tablet, or get a better wife :-)

On a more serious note: nice extension for Photoshop!

By hamlet

hamlet's picture

30-11-2017, 07:31

I´ve tried to install an emulator:

But I can´t imagine a better wife:

By tfh

tfh's picture

30-11-2017, 07:50

LOL !

By ericb59

ericb59's picture

01-12-2017, 09:53

Hummm Not working with my Photoshop CS5
Photoshop cannot recognize file format (Using Photoshop raw file format)

By gdx

gdx's picture

01-12-2017, 10:25

Try my version. It works and the 16 colors palette of MSX1 is also included.

By hamlet

hamlet's picture

01-12-2017, 11:50

The author of the kit doesn´t mention a special PS version. I tested the tool with CS2, which is my currently PS I´m working with, but thanks to gdx this is a nice way to proceed.

By ericb59

ericb59's picture

03-12-2017, 20:58

the palette is not the problem. The problem is loading msx data image to photoshop ...
Can you explain your way to do that ?

By hamlet

hamlet's picture

03-12-2017, 21:25

Hey Eric!
I did it exactly the way I read in the "How to use.txt"

From MSX2 SCREEN8 ".PIC" file to Photoshop:

1 - Open as... (Select the ".PIC" file) then choose "Open as "Photoshop Raw (*.RAW)
2 - On the dialog, put:
Width: 256 pixels
Height: 212 pixels
Channels: 1
Depht: 8 bits
Header size: 7 bytes
Retain When Saving: ticked
3 - It will open the image as grayscale. Go to the menu Image -> Mode then change to Indexed Color.
4 - Go to the menu Image -> Mode -> Color Table then load the MSX Color Palette.act.

This should work for you. I tested it with CS2 and the image that comes with the download. Also ACDSee´s Canvas (my favourite image editing software) was able to open it. If it don´t work for you, please try to explain what exactly did´nt work.

By sd_snatcher

sd_snatcher's picture

04-12-2017, 21:46

ericb59 wrote:

Can you explain your way to do that ?

Another easy way is to use MIFui to convert the MSX images to PNG, then open it in your favorite PC image editor.

After you edited the image, just use MIFui to convert the PNG back to the MSX format.

My MSX profile