Anti-MSX Revival started?!

by snout on 02-01-2003, 13:02
Topic: MSX Revival

A group of dissatisfied MSX Users from Brazil have started a website against the MSX Association. Over here you can find a web site containing 'Say no to MSXPLAYer' logo's. The MSX Association has been renamed MSX Assasination on this website.The users started the website after reading the (first) post on the new MSX logo policy, which can be found here. In the mean time, a new version of this policy, translated by Bernard Lamers, was put up here. They are dissatisfied because they feel forced to ask the MSX Association for permission to use the MSX logo. The dissatisfaction grows, because the anti-MSX association group feels that they have been left alone for more than 10 years. ASCII never seemed to care much about MSX anymore, until recently. All in all, this group thinks the MSX Revival will only have negative effects on the remaining MSX community.

Relevant link

By DarQ

DarQ's picture

02-01-2003, 13:19

i agree with them in some way... just as i reacted on that post here. It does not mean im Antie MSX A but they should (though they have the right) not be like that. Commercializing something that was abandoned by the commercial companies seems not to be that easy at all!

By msxgamesbox

msxgamesbox's picture

02-01-2003, 13:23

too bad. I won't go into this. Going against the MSX Revival will surely bury the MSX standard even more.
I am surely also 'surprised' by the MSX Association policy but we must be glad interest is raising again after all these years - if all this means more (new & old) people are showing interest in MSX, then what's wrong?

By Jorito

Mr. Ambassadors (1761)

Jorito's picture

02-01-2003, 18:43

I think it's a bit weird that, after a long period of no interest in MSX, they suddenly claim their stuff back again, possibly (?) with lawsuits if you don't cooperate?! I can imagine their position, but still... I can imagine the rebellious some people may have after having been left out in the cold for so long...

By jalu

Master (156)

jalu's picture

02-01-2003, 18:56

Well, indeed I can imagine the disgruntled reactions of some users, but, on the other hand, all of us knew that there always was a risk that, at some point in the future, these companies would reclaim their copyrights. For instance, I can imagine Konami would *not* be very pleased with a wide-spread English version of Metal Gear:Solid Snake, if or when they would decide to rerelease the game on whatever computer- or console system of today. I do think that if there will be commercial activities concerning MSX in the 21st century, we will just have to learn to live with the fact once again that commercial companies will protect their intellectual property in any possible way. Let's all not forget that it was illegal copying which caused the European death of MSX in the late eighties...

By DarQ

DarQ's picture

02-01-2003, 19:07

illegal copying was just 1 of the factors that did it.

By FiXato

FiXato's picture

02-01-2003, 22:12

And how about BombaMan Smile Same goes for that game Smile

I understand the thoughts of MSX Assosciation, but I think that if they will prosecute websites for not complying to theur rules, it could cause an uproar in the MSX Community, leading to a webwide boycot of the MSXPlayer (TMTongue) so I do not think they would go that far...

the MSX Affiliates Forum though, in good faith, has already placed the 'MSX' is a TradeMark of MSX Assosciation -line in it's footer Smile

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

02-01-2003, 22:16

WHY does everybody think the worst possible?! Basically NOTHING HAS CHANGED!
Ever since 1983 you had to say "MSX is a trademark of ASCII Corporation". Everybody that didn't do that was in violation of trademark laws! Still, nobody was sued for over 10 years! Why would anybody get sued now?! I think many of you should learn to READ and try to raise their IQ somewhat.

By snout

snout's picture

02-01-2003, 23:11

Something HAS changed. MSX Association is one of the first companies that allows other people to use their trademarked logos. That's odd. Smile It's good to have criticism on the MSX Revival, and there might be reasons for not liking what the MSX Association does. But I don't get why people are angry about a friendly MSX logo statement. Mind you, we're talking trademarks here. Most companies will sue you before you even knew you used their trademarks. MSX Association says they don't mind you using it, and they would like to know WHEN you use it. Doesn't sound like a bad thing to me.

By Jorito

Mr. Ambassadors (1761)

Jorito's picture

02-01-2003, 23:21

first, I couldn't help reacting on the mentioning of Bombaman Smile The MSX Association can't harm us with that (Hudson could, tho, because there's still some ripped gfx), but then again, it would be absurd anyways prosecuting people for using a GAME IDEA! Heck, all games are rips of eachother anyways, so no point in that Smile

As for the logo statement, you _could_ look at it as the MSX Association being friendly, but even then, it will still takes a getting used to, now that some organisation (again) has the official rights and you have to actually watch your steps, after all these years of being able to do what you wanted... Awell, shit happens Smile

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

03-01-2003, 01:14

We were never 'able to do what we wanted'. MSX and the MSX logo has always been trademarked. All we have been able to do was work without ASCII prosecuting or demanding license fees. Everybody has to realize MSX and the MSX logo has never been 'free'.
MSX Association is giving us an official statement saying we can use the MSX logo without paying anything. This is truly extraordinary.
And Jorito, companies have sued over a game idea. Konami has ruthlessly, relentlessly and vigorously sued Jaleco, and won, purely for making other music and rithm based games.
The MSX scene should consider itself PRIVILEGED. What MSX Association is doing here is ACKNOWLEDGING the existance of an amateur scene that has kept alive MSX for all these years. With this, they are saying "thank you"!!!

By FiXato

FiXato's picture

03-01-2003, 14:47

---QUOTE---
---/QUOTE---

That is what I ment Smile never implied that I ment the MSX A.
We talked about it on the Bussum fair and you yourself said that you could get probs about copyrightissues...
I just wanted to make clear that many (msx) products would be violating some or more copyrights.

By mau_rizio

Resident (48)

mau_rizio's picture

04-01-2003, 13:52

I'm happy Smile After 10 year of oblivion, msx has officially a new life. I dont't know if it will be a real life or just a good-for-a-museum life (now they are doing this), i don't care. I will continue to use msx as i'm doing now just adding the official msx logo if i relase something. What changes for me? Nothing, unitl i learn japanese or msx association translates msxpalyer & games in english. I hope that this will be a real new life for msx and some new great games will be developed by talented softco.

By msxall

Rookie (23)

msxall's picture

05-01-2003, 01:35

Before start any discussion about this theme, everybody should take a read of www.msxall.com. There you can find the full document about the reasons involved on this MANIFEST.
Please, that is important and the ideas are based on real situations. If you want to discuss about this subject you can post message on the Mailing List created for this purpose.
More informations at www.msxall.com.

"Long life to MSX, but not for any price... "

MSX-ALL Team

By Grauw

Grauw's picture

05-01-2003, 22:24

I think this site is just a blatant offense towards Ginseng, seeing the URL against which it is located. I will not listen to people with such attitudes. As for the rest, the msx-all site, I think you should have a little faith in the MSX Association. They are trying to revive things, and that is a good thing. Ofcourse it is on a commercial basis, but you can't do no such thing without one. About the usage of the MSX logo, there is nothing really wrong with it and such rules are common practice. On top of that, these rules really aren't restricting. Actually, if they hadn't issued such a thing I'd be more surprised and started doubting their dedication to the revival. And as a plus they also offer you a good download location of an 'official' MSX logo. As for the rest, the msx-all site looks cool. Bummer it's got such a bad attitude towards MSX-Association. Imho info-sites like this one shouldn't be expressing its creators' personal thoughts. If you wanna create a protest-site, create it, if you wanna create an info-site, create it, but don't combine both. One is information, other is personal opinion, and those don't go well together. I am glad www.msx.org at least is unbiased towards things.

By FiXato

FiXato's picture

06-01-2003, 10:02

Well, it seems that the page went down again Smile

By snout

snout's picture

19-01-2003, 23:51

indeed. the site is down again.