MSX classics announced for Virtual Console

by wolf_ on 06-11-2009, 12:06
Topic: MSX Revival

Konami has decided to release five of their classic MSX games for the Virtual Console, a specialized section of the Wii Shop Channel. These games are Yie Ar Kung-Fu 2, the majestic shooter Space Manbow, the racer Road Fighter, the epic Penguin Adventure and probably the most famous MSX game Metal Gear. The latter was previously only available as a bonus of the game Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence. Earlier, Aleste and Eggy have been released for the Virtual Console, these five new releases bring the total number of VC MSX games to seven!

Relevant link: Joystiq

By Gakubuchi

Expert (95)

Gakubuchi's picture

06-11-2009, 12:48

Too bad they are not available outside Japan Crying

By SLotman

SLotman's picture

06-11-2009, 15:25

Actually they'll release 13 games total, you can see the full list on my site Smile

By iamweasel2

iamweasel2's picture

07-11-2009, 12:27

Well, if it is just an emulator running the original games, I don't see any reason to get excited, after all, it was done already in other consoles in the past. But if it is an hd remake of the original games, I could even buy a Wii just to see these games (damm, in that case I would even Running Naked in a Field of Flowers ) , but I don't think that's the case, right? Sad

By viejo_archivero

viejo_archivero's picture

10-11-2009, 06:06

iamweasel2: it is not just that the games have been emulated Tongue, it is that Konami has officially liscenced those MSX games for a commercial purpose: this is great, as Konami will be able to have a real pulse of them MSX products on a commercial enviroment nowadays. I mean, if MSX (japanese) users pay for those MSX games in the virtual console, perhaps they decide to make something like CAPCOM did with Megaman 9 and develop a MSX look-a-like game, or if lots of people pays for Space Manbow perhaps they consider a remake for newer platforms... imho this is really good news and I hope Konami continues adding more games to the list, such as Maze of Galious or Snatcher Wink. What thing can me more MSX Revival-related than Konami officialy selling again their MSX games through a commercial platform? Thumbs up for them!

By iamweasel2

iamweasel2's picture

10-11-2009, 14:55

Viejo: I see your point, but remember these games have already been officialy released by Konami in PS1 and Saturn, so it seems to me just as one more attempt to make some new money from old games. I hope you're right, and if the games sell well, they decide to do something new for a change, instead of just releasing old games using emulation.

By iamweasel2

iamweasel2's picture

15-11-2009, 16:22

Actually, I just found out that Konami did remade some games with new graphics/songs in the Rebirth series for the Wii. Anyone has more info about those series (if they remade the msx version of the games or the nes?) or other remakes by Konami?