MSX Magazines are selling well!

by Latok on 03-01-2003, 09:26
Topic: MSX Revival

Source: Ikeda's MSX print.

The 'MSX MAGAZINE 2003', published by ASCII, and the 'Happy!! MSX Emulator and Games' magazine, published by Shuwa System Corporation, have been on sale in Japan now for some time.

Kuniji Ikeda has told us that at many Japanese bookstores, the 'MSX MAGAZINE 2003' is getting the top position of sales with the 'Happy!! MSX Emulator and Games' magazine just following closely at a second spot. The MSX magazines are outselling Windows- and Macintosh computermagazines. They are even outselling magazines focusing on consoles! Most of the retailers don't know what 'MSX' means, so they're very surprised two of these MSX magazines are selling as big as they do.

The 'Happy!! MSX Emulator and Games' magazine hasn't had that much attention yet, but it seems like this is a great MSX magazine as well. It contains the MSXPLAYer, but also very nice games, such as Dragon Slayer 4, Hydlide 3, Super Laydock and many more. It also contains some interesting promo versions of i.e. Laydock 2, Valis II, XAK and XZR.

As we stated above, this magazine is being published by Shuwa System Corporation and its content focuses on MSX Emulators, games, the Japanese MSX scene and Project EGG.

You can find some screenshots and further info on this magazine here.

By msxgamesbox

msxgamesbox's picture

03-01-2003, 13:57

exciting to hear, but it's a bit hard to believe. Hmm, I mean that I would not give a cent if somebody told me that a new MSX magazine would outsell a console magazine in e.g. Holland in its first month... but maybe I don't know how much the MSX had of an inpact in Japan a decade or two ago!

By NLmsx

Supporter (7)

NLmsx's picture

03-01-2003, 14:42

I received my copy a few days ago. It looks very nice indeed.

But the first screendump of the RuMSX explanation is a screendump of NLMSX. I didn't notice much other strange things since my japanese is not very good.

But a lot of games that i don't know of are reviewed/explained thoroughly.

There is also a CD included with several emulators and other stuff which i haven't looked at yet.

Frits

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

03-01-2003, 21:19

Good news, and knowing the japanese a bit, not hard to believe at all!
BTW, the magazine is called 'Fun!! MSX Emulator & Games'. The word used is 'tanoshii' which means 'pleasant' or 'fun', not 'happy'. The base-kanji does mean happy in the word 'tanoshige', but definitely not in 'tanoshii'. </nitpick>

By msxgamesbox

msxgamesbox's picture

03-01-2003, 22:52

Quickly coming back to my first reaction, while making a visit to amazon.co.jp - indeed it seems MSX Magazine hits the Number 1 spot of sold items ! Just unbelievable. Now, I don't know how popular Amazon is in Japan but it surely tells something. The other magazine was ranked 1,300 and something in the selling charts.

By KNM

Master (172)

KNM's picture

04-01-2003, 00:49

It seems that MSX Magazine is rockin´high in Japan!It´s really amazing how twenty years later of MSX birth it can call the atention of Japanese fans.ASCII must sell this magazines everywhere....and NOW! This year starts with good health and hope for MSX users around the world.

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

04-01-2003, 12:19

nice to see that Smile Is it possible to buy from europe ?? MSX ruuuuulez Tongue

By msxgamesbox

msxgamesbox's picture

04-01-2003, 15:52

Yes, you can through Amazon.co.jp - just open an account on Amazon.fr or .co.uk - then go to amazon.co.jp and 're-register' as if you were to open a new account BUT use the same e-mail address and password as your european account. This trick will make your account recognised by Amazon Japan and you will be able to buy the magazines (check-out can be done in English). I ordered my copies yesterday of both magazines - however while checking this morning my account I notice MSX Magazine is temporarily out-of-stock (was not the case yesterday evening) as well as Happy! MSX (already yesterday). Also reflects the drop in sale ranking from N°1 to N°3 overnight ;-)

By msxgamesbox

msxgamesbox's picture

04-01-2003, 16:28

Just a quick note - the more I look at the Amazon Japan pages, using various translators (Babelfish or Worldlingo) I start to have a few doubts if I ever will receive the magazines... anyhow, they are still in my 'order basket' waiting to be dispatched when a copy of Happy!MSX will be available... we'll see.

By Grauw

Grauw's picture

05-01-2003, 23:51

The 'fun' is also in the japanese version of the Game Master logo: basically it says 'Konami games 10x more fun cartridge' (/me showing off his Japanese sk1llz0rz Wink).

By Abdullah

Supporter (9)

Abdullah's picture

12-01-2003, 19:34

Well I'm really interesting to buy both magazines (I kjnow it's a japanies mag.) ... If some one can help me how can I get it from an english site ?