Xak - The Art of Visual Stage in WOOMB.net

by snout on 28-02-2007, 02:12
Topic: MSX Revival

Bazix have re-released the Micro Cabin RPG classic Xak in a completely retranslated edition on WOOMB.net. On MSX, this first part in the Xak series was released in 1989. The game, including its translated manual is available for € 9,99 to members of WOOMB, and for € 11,99 to those who want to obtain the game only, without subscription.

Relevant link: Xak - The Art of Visual Stage in WOOMB.net

By turbor

turbor's picture

28-02-2007, 09:22

Finally, this is the game I've been waiting for since Woomb started. Big smile
Without wanting to start the entire discussion all over again, but is there somebody who figured out how to run this on 'the alternative OS'?
If somebody can confirm that it runs using Wine then I'll order it immediately!!

28-02-2007, 09:54

It will probably sort of run on the latest Wine. But it may stutter a lot more and there are some minor issues, IIRC only fullscreen works... or some more things. Ask Woomb people if you can try it out Smile

By Sonic_aka_T

Sonic_aka_T's picture

28-02-2007, 11:58

Finally this darn project it finished! That took *way* to long. Xak fans should definately look into this one tho, it's a pretty cool localization if I may say so myself. Many parts of the game were re-coded, allowing for a full fontset (upper and lower case), half-width characters, restyled menus, full-lenght text and/or equipment names, R800 support, translated graphics etcetera... Anyhoo, should be a pretty cool game to play if you're into Xak, and kudos to Rieks for translating over 100kB of text...

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9766)

wolf_'s picture

28-02-2007, 12:05

Doos this mean you finally return to #life ? Hannibal

oh, and does this also end the weekly:

[01:00] * Bart|MRC has joined #msx
[01:01] <Bart|MRC> !seen t00b
[01:09] * Bart|MRC has quit #msx

Face

By Latok

msx guru (3661)

Latok's picture

28-02-2007, 12:18

Certainly gonna buy this one, this is indeed a game truly worth getting your hands on! Thumbs up for all the localization work! And I do hope the game will be available for real MSX machines too, someday Smile

By snout

snout's picture

28-02-2007, 18:21

wolf_: this is not the last JP -> ENG localisation to be released by WOOMB, you know Wink

turbor: Linux is currently not supported by WOOMB, the most recent version of WINE does - with some drawbacks - get the job done partly, but can not be guaranteed by Bazix for obvious reasons.

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9766)

wolf_'s picture

28-02-2007, 18:59

Oh no, so t00b will be abducted by w00mb aliens once more? Let's call this company 't00mb' instead.. Tongue

By Sylvester

Sylvester's picture

28-02-2007, 20:41

turbor: you could also buy the version of DeltaSoft, they released it on normal disks that can be converted to .dsk files Smile

By Sama

Ambassador (2060)

Sama's picture

28-02-2007, 21:44

Although the DeltaSoft version surely differs a great lot from the WOOMB version with regard to translation and text implementation.

By turbor

turbor's picture

28-02-2007, 22:02

@snout: Of course I understand the difference between 'supported' and 'working'. I do not care that much for the supported part in this case, I'm more interested in the working side of the story Tongue

@sylvester: I already own that version but the version of Woomb is way superior, just look at the comment of Sonic_aka_T...
Especially the improved font routines makes it so much more readable!

By Sama

Ambassador (2060)

Sama's picture

28-02-2007, 22:09

WOOMB translations are presented as professional translations, not as fan translations (and of course they need to be the way they are presented) Wink

By snout

snout's picture

28-02-2007, 22:10

turboR: I'm afraid it's more likely (and safer) to assume Xak, running in turboR mode, will -not- work in WINE. Perhaps results with future versions of WINE are more encouraging, but right now I would not recommend it.

As for the differences between DeltaSoft/WOOMB version. Well... the WOOMB version is legal, supporting the original publisher - Microcabin, it's a bit cheaper, the translation is a lot better (the intro demo alone is already a world of difference), includes a translated manual (incl artwork), text routines and menu have been improved and with the thing running in R800 mode by default... playing the game has become a whole different, much smoother experience. I'd say it's a lot of bang for your bucks and I'm sure the people who already bought it can confirm that. End of commercial break Wink

28-02-2007, 23:40

Snout: I'd be happy to test that assumption Smile I think it will be pretty playable, maybe you do need a fat CPU, though. But we won't know until we've tried.

By SkyeWelse

SkyeWelse's picture

02-03-2007, 16:00

Just finished purchasing this one as well. I think overall Woomb did a nice job with the script and enchancements over the original. The gameplay and graphic transitions are very smoth, the text is easy on the eyes and the music sounds great! It is also nice that they translate the manual information as well even if the manual text seem to me a bit too literal of a translation. I would have phrased things a bit differently myself.

More importantly, I've been talking with some of the folks over at Bazix/Woomb about their plans to distribute the other Xak series MSX2 titles and they seem to have plans to release them all in time which is great news! I'm actually hoping that since they are already a part of D4, the company behind the MSX Japanese Nintendo Wii virtual console lineup, that if/when America and Europe gets access to Wii V.C. MSX games that the Xak series will be one of them. It'd be wonderful to have those playable in English for the first time on a system that can easily be found and accessible by curious gamers who may never have heard of the series before.

As some of you may know, I run a Xak series fansite called XyZ (it is also an Ys and Zelda fansite) which used to host many of the Xak series roms, or at least ones that had not been re-released for sale by companies such as Project-Egg and Amusement Center as well as pre-patched fan translated English versions of the games. I've decided that after learning of these plans to release most of the series into English format that there is no futher use of these roms as they used to be the only means of playing them in English. But now that there exists an option to play them officially in English and support the original developer Microcabin, all of the links to roms have been removed in order to promote the sales of the series through Woomb.net.

I'm hoping that I'll be able to give them additional content for additional extras if they'll accept it as there are plenty of Xak books and articles that I have in my collection that could be translated that would make a nice read.

-SkyeWelse

By zett

Hero (554)

zett's picture

10-03-2007, 00:42

WHERE IS MY COMMEND GONE?

[edit: don't shoot, check your email]

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9766)

wolf_'s picture

10-03-2007, 00:54

Into the round .bin (dunno who did that btw..)

I noticed ppl have their opinions on the computer idee issue, as long as these discussions are mature it's not a problem (tho somewhat offtopic for this particular newspost), but just yelling/accusing around makes such a post a potential "release" candidate.