Dragonslayer 6 'world-theme'

by Low_Profile on 09-07-2004, 22:08
Topic: Music

It's a real treat when every now and then, longtime MSX composers such as Wolf and Low_Profile surprise us with a cool arrangement of a famous MSX tune we can all whistle along to. You probably all remember the Dragonslayer 6 intro Wolf did last year.

This time it is Low_Profile who made an arrangement of the 'world-theme' from Dragonslayer 6. The song can be downloaded right here. Enjoy!

By DarQ

DarQ's picture

10-07-2004, 15:29

nice, but i expected it to be slightly different

By Low_Profile

Low_Profile's picture

10-07-2004, 16:18

ok??? lol ... it's an arrangement, so i can make it any way i like Tongue

By J-War

J-War's picture

10-07-2004, 17:55

i'd have expected something different, something closer to britney spears' " oops i did it again " but with more bandoneon of course.

By Low_Profile

Low_Profile's picture

10-07-2004, 18:39

LOL... I ALMOST did... in stead i came up with this crap Tongue

By J-War

J-War's picture

10-07-2004, 19:56

hahaha Big smile

It's not crap btw, i already listened to it several times.

While i think about it, i put my hands over a " salamander medley " once but i wasn't able to figure out who made it. Of course i lost the mp3 in a HDD crash, wasn't it one of your arrangements, low_profile ?

If yes could you send it to me ? i realy enjoyed it a lot and i would be realy happy to be able to listen to it again.

By Low_Profile

Low_Profile's picture

10-07-2004, 20:24

i made a Salamander Medley once yes Smile ... I'll upload it in a sec

By J-War

J-War's picture

10-07-2004, 20:30

thanks you Smile
gimme the url when ready Tongue

By DarQ

DarQ's picture

10-07-2004, 21:06

dude, i like it..

By Low_Profile

Low_Profile's picture

10-07-2004, 21:29

yeah Smile but I thought I stayed really close to the original, so I don't know how different you expected it ^_^

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9903)

wolf_'s picture

10-07-2004, 23:00

I've 2 thingies/suggestions.. wanna hear (read) them?

By Low_Profile

Low_Profile's picture

10-07-2004, 23:03

shoot

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9903)

wolf_'s picture

10-07-2004, 23:28

generally it's ok.. it's just a few thingies that I would've done different:

That guitar/'whatever plucked instrument'-sample, is a bit anoying. That climbing [C][C#][D#] (read left->right) thing is either a complete sample, or you did something weird in the post Smile If it's a complete sample, then that explains why it always sounds the same and why it sounds 'suddenly muted' when that sample is triggered again. Look at it from this way: each time I hear it, I automatically move my head up.. I'm sure you didn't make that tune to lift my head up at fixed intervals Smile

Second one: that sax. I can almost see you playing it on keys while moving the pitchbend. This means that it's -for me- not a convincing 'played instrument'. And I used 'played instrument' on purpose here, it doesn't have to be a sax. A good synthetic voice, with plenty of controlling and articulation would do the job 10 times better. Check out 0:37..0:40 a short 2 seconds with a sax sound that doesn't articulate... have you ever heard a real sax? Now, trying to soup-up ROM samples from the typical synth usually leads to even worse sounds. That's why I advice synthetic sounds.. sawtooths etc. Sawtooths don't sound like anything we know, therefore we don't recognise it as being a common instrument, meaning we can't say it's wrong Smile Everyone however knows how a sax sounds, so if the sound of a synth isn't 100% a sax then we all notice it. It's the same as with animated humans in many PC game-cinematics. No matter how good the animation techniques are, you can always see that small details aren't right.. usally the eyes. That's really the same as with the sax.

The rest was ok.. EZ listening.

By Low_Profile

Low_Profile's picture

11-07-2004, 01:17

I stacked the guitar plucked instrument in the first part of the song Smile but I might overdid it a bit indeedy... it's a bell-sound + harpsichord + acoustic guitar .. and with the acoustic guitar i added a strum. the patch itself however also strums when it gets above a certain velocity level. that's why it may sound too much. maybe do it once or twice in that whole part, now it becomes 'predictabe'

I've tried the sax part with lots of instruments and I sticked with the sax because it has a nice funky/swingy touch to it. I agree though that some of the pitch bends should go, the most obvjous ones at least. (replace em by short note successions as it would be done with a real sax)
the pitchbend at 0:49 pisses me off every time I listen to it Smile

By mighty.m

Expert (116)

mighty.m's picture

11-07-2004, 18:04

i always loved this song, and i like the arrangement too. I think it's also a hard song to arrange... Two thumbs up!

By cax

cax's picture

11-03-2007, 14:58

I am too late... can I download the file somewhere else ?