Out Run - Passing Breeze by Chabinn

by snout on 18-12-2006, 00:22
Topic: Music

Using the SCMD music driver, that allows the use of PCM samples on SCC, Chabinn released a re-arrangement of the Passing Breeze tune from SEGA's classic rasing game Out Run. In the song, you can clearly recognize the PCM drums.

Relevant link: 3MHz - Special music corner

By shaiwa

shaiwa's picture

18-12-2006, 23:04

Nice tune, SCMD is revealing its possibilities i think.
The scc pcm and opll sounds nice together.

(Tracker .. Tracker .. Tracker ..... who can make one??)

By snout

snout's picture

18-12-2006, 23:49

yeah, a tracker based on this principle would be really nice indeed!

By Edwin

Edwin's picture

19-12-2006, 00:05

It's too bad that the PCM requires full cpu to run. So it can't be used in combination with a game.

By snout

snout's picture

19-12-2006, 00:29

Hmmm... are you sure about that? I haven't tested CPU load, but thought things have already been optimized a bit -- perhaps there's more room for optimization. Given that the player can play PSG, MSX-MUSIC and 2 SCCs (the latter in any combination of PCM/ordinary) at the same time, I'd say there should at least be -some- room left for other tasks when e.g. only using 1 SCC.

By Edwin

Edwin's picture

19-12-2006, 01:40

In itself, playing the sample probably doesn't take much cpu time. But it has to be executed at regular intervals. Which means it has to be interleaved with other code to run properly. For something special like a demo this should be doable, but for a game this will be highly problematic. I suspect that the sample starts playing after the other tasks are handled and that it may start giving stutters if the sample actually crosses the next step. This would be a nice trade off between playing samples and having a very complex player. Continuous effects (vibratos, sweeps, etc) could be somewhat difficult as well. I don't know if the player supports those though.

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9765)

wolf_'s picture

19-12-2006, 01:42

There're a kazillion trackers on PC one can use. *If* there's interest it would be more wise to make a converter from various formats (mod, xm, it, s3m) to this format.

By snout

snout's picture

19-12-2006, 01:56

Hmmm... I believe in cross-development when it comes to code (rapid compile) and graphics (powerful tools), but I'm not convinced about music yet. I want to hear what it sounds like on the real thing. And I personally won't enter notes in a PC tracker more quickly than on an MSX tracker.

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9765)

wolf_'s picture

19-12-2006, 02:10

I'm creating the MSXDev game music in Impulse Tracker.. for PSG and PSG+SCC .. works like a charm!

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9765)

wolf_'s picture

19-12-2006, 02:11

+ it takes half a year to code a tracker.. it takes half a month to make a converter.. let's be practical ^_^

By Huey

Huey's picture

19-12-2006, 10:25

I Like the tune

@snout: Music tracker should really go crossdevelopment. MSX trackers are a pain in the @$$ GUI-wise. And as wolf already said we need conversion options so we don't need to re-type a whole song to get a PSG and an SCC version of musicscore.