Xak and Mr. Ghost music remakes

by Jorito on 24-05-2012, 21:52
Topic: Music

Every once in a while the MRC frontpage features some interesting movies in the Youtube sidebar. Earlier this week, it featured some interesting new MSX music remakes by TheMysteryStudios. This German MSX fanatic is working on a project called "A Tribute to MSX". The goal of the project is to produce remakes of some of the most famous MSX computer game songs.

The project is off to a good start, with remakes from both Xak - The Art of Visual Stage and Yuureikun, which is better known as "Mr. Ghost". Both videos are available in 2 versions on his Youtube profile page, one with the original game music and one with the remake. Since this is only the start of the project, more remakes are sure to follow.

Happy listening!

Relevant link: A Tribute to MSX: Mr. Ghost / Yuureikun Stage 3
Relevant link: XAK - The Art Of Visual Stage

By Meits

Meits's picture

24-05-2012, 22:13

Who is he...

By SkyeWelse

SkyeWelse's picture

24-05-2012, 23:44

Wow! Fantastic! Both of them! And the samples for YuureiKun were great!

I'm sure whoever this is will have his own selections in mind to remix, so I'll just look forward to hearing what is next on the horizon!

Running Fray, Running Fray, Running Fray, Running Fray.... : )

-Thomas

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9734)

wolf_'s picture

25-05-2012, 00:07

SkyeWelse wrote:

Running Fray, Running Fray, Running Fray, Running Fray.... : )

I've that whole intro done already for half a year, but it has yet to be ended in some way (the original is just a loop with no natural ending), and then it still has to be mixed.

By SkyeWelse

SkyeWelse's picture

25-05-2012, 00:19

wolf_ wrote:
SkyeWelse wrote:

Running Fray, Running Fray, Running Fray, Running Fray.... : )

Hmm, in my mind if I was mixing it I guess I would try to do the main loop twice in a subtle instrument sample, and then add in some major basslines and pick the tempo up to be much faster with guitar riffs leading into a climax of some kind, maybe the winning theme at the end of a stage. I'd love to hear your work if you ever feel like sharing. : ) I'm not a mixer myself, but I do a fair bit of Game Music listening and Remix/Arrangement Listening. It's uh... pretty much all I ever listen to, aside from a few Japanese artists such as Kokia and Akiko Shikata, and a lot of that is Game Music too, so... : )

-Thomas

By Jorito

Mr. Ambassadors (1758)

Jorito's picture

25-05-2012, 00:56

Wolf doesn't do guitars, as it's not what an symphonic orchestra would do Tongue

By Meits

Meits's picture

25-05-2012, 06:18

Sometimes he does.
And if he does it gets broadcasted on TV straight away :D

Damn... Why am I awake...

By Akiguchi

Hero (608)

Akiguchi's picture

25-05-2012, 06:41

It seems he's got some pretty neat equipment to do his little MSX remakes. Maybe he bought the stuff just for it. LOL!

By JohnHassink

Ambassador (5383)

JohnHassink's picture

26-05-2012, 01:58

I like the Mr. Ghost arrangement extremely much. Actually, it's most certainly one of the best, most tasteful and well done MSX arrangements I have ever heard. It made me immediately play the game itself again. Smile The Xak one didn't do it for me though. Too much focus on guitar with not much else happening, and (to me) a bit off interpretation of the accompaniment. My 2 cents.

By Akiguchi