Remakes are fun - in some cases, maybe even more so when they aim at older hardware than the original was initially published on. A nice example of that is this 8-bit reworking of Final Fantasy VII, a 5th generation RPG game which arguably attained a 'classic' status by now.

More or less in the same vein, a Japanese PC-6001 user going by the handle "Tiny Yarou" (YouTube account) decided to apply his skills to reproduce the opening part of the first Ys installment by Falcom on MSX1. This demonstration encompasses the intro screen and some gameplay in the first town.

Those not familiar with the original MSX2 version can find some video footage to compare this remake with here.

Relevant link: YouTube

By ro

Guardian (4084)

ro's picture

05-02-2013, 10:35

cool stuff. But FF7, on what platform was the rework done?
The Ys stuff looks brill on MSX1. Kuddos on the casload Smile

By Akiguchi

Hero (608)

Akiguchi's picture

05-02-2013, 12:44

Nice! It plays quite a lot faster than the original Ys on MSX2, which was a bit slow. Only downside seems to be the sprite flicker.

By SkyeWelse

SkyeWelse's picture

05-02-2013, 13:37

I think it looks rather nice and I think Tiny Yarou has done a very successful job converting the game to MSX1 while keeping the same feel as the MSX2 version. : ) Oddly enough I was just playing this again yesterday for a bit and was only viewing the first town of Minea, so it was fresh in my mind a bit when I compared it to the video. I'm sure if he finishes it, it would turn out much better than the Ys Famicom version that most Ys fans dislike. I actually enjoy Ys I Famicom, but most folks at Ancient Land of Ys Community say it's the worst of the Ys I ports. lol

-Thomas

05-02-2013, 14:55

Wow, what a fantastic work! And loaded from tape Smile

By ARTRAG

ARTRAG's picture

05-02-2013, 17:24

By SkyeWelse

SkyeWelse's picture

05-02-2013, 17:46

Cool, thanks for posting the link ARTRAG. I believe it required me to have Yahoo Japan ID to login and download the file. I already had one setup, so I downloaded the file and uploaded it here for convenience.

-Thomas

By mars2000you

mars2000you's picture

05-02-2013, 17:44

Does not work at this moment :

このページは準備中です

申し訳ありませんが、このページは現在利用できなくなっています。しばらくたってからもう一度お試しください。
ご不明な点があれば、ヘルプをご覧のうえ、お問い合わせください。

ウェブ全体を検索できる、Yahoo!検索も利用してみてください。

-------------------------------

This page is under construction

Sorry, this page is not currently available. Please try again in a few minutes.
If you have any questions, helping you see, please contact us for help.

Please try to use you can search the entire Web, Search Yahoo!.

By ARTRAG

ARTRAG's picture

05-02-2013, 19:20

Login to geocities or use SkyeWelse's copy
The DSK version needs CTRL while booting

By Konamito

Konamito's picture

05-02-2013, 19:51

It's awesome!

I hope this get finished someday...

By SkyeWelse

SkyeWelse's picture

05-02-2013, 20:01

Oh yeah, so this marks the first time an Ys game has ever been ported to Cassette Tape correct? : )

-Thomas

By Randam

Randam's picture

05-02-2013, 20:43

Wow, looking great. Hopefully he will finish the entire remake!

By SkyeWelse

SkyeWelse's picture

05-02-2013, 20:49

I posted on his video asking him to please finish it. Maybe if there is enough support, he'll be encouraged to keep working on it. : )

-Thomas

By Jorito

Mr. Ambassadors (1761)

Jorito's picture

05-02-2013, 22:17

It's a nice proof of concept. But I don't see the point in finishing it. After all we already have a very good MSX2 version that works very well, has more colors and doesn't require an obnoxious tape to run.

By ARTRAG

ARTRAG's picture

05-02-2013, 22:23

agree

By Maggoo

Maggoo's picture

05-02-2013, 22:52

That looks awesome ! Can't beleive this is for MSX 1!

By SkyeWelse

SkyeWelse's picture

06-02-2013, 00:42

Equally as awesome, at least for me. I'm a huge Xanadu fan. : )
-Thomas

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

06-02-2013, 03:30

Tiny yarou says "MSX is great! It's wonderful that there are a lot of MSX users around the world,on the other hand there are a few Japanese retro platform users.I feel joy and shame for comments on Ys MSX 32K."

He also says "This is something like mega demo to celebrate MSX 30th anniversary .Don't expect finishing it." Crying

By Randam

Randam's picture

06-02-2013, 09:10

Thank you for taking the trouble of contacting Tiny Yarou, Fukenko!

Too bad he isn't planning on finishing an MSX1 version of the game. But as a mega demo it is a great piece of work to celebrate the 30th anniversary!

@SkyeWelse: yeah, that PC-6001 demo of Xanadu looks great too. IMHO the msx2 version of Xanadu is a bad port, probably from the PC88 version of the game. It could have been so much better. If any Falcom game warrants a remake it would be that one. I even prefer the MSX1 version over the MSX2 version.

By SkyeWelse

SkyeWelse's picture

06-02-2013, 13:14

Thank you Fukenko, for letting us know what Tiny Yarou had to say and I can completely understand why he would not be finishing it. It is a lot of work! : ) Actually, once I visited his Youtube channel and saw that he had several other videos that were demos as well, I kind of understood what this demo was going to be at that point.

@Randam, I still like the MSX2 version of Xanadu if only because it was my first foray into the series, but it is quite different from the others, especially since it does not share the same famous "La Valse Pour Xanadu" theme that is in every other version that I know. : )

-Thomas

By jlemos

Resident (56)

jlemos's picture

07-02-2013, 02:20

Hi guys!

Try this http://web.archive.org/liveweb/http://%20%20http://www.geoci...

Or get file from 4Shared:

This works. I could see only title and no more nothing.

I test this one openmsx with "Sharp Epcom HotBit 1.1".

See you!

Julio Lemos

By JohnHassink

Ambassador (5386)

JohnHassink's picture

07-02-2013, 05:52

SkyeWelse wrote:

So that's what it's called. Thanks! Smile Really need to pick up my remake of that one.

By SkyeWelse

SkyeWelse's picture

07-02-2013, 18:58

No problem. Here is the sheet music for it if you can use it. It was taken from the back of the Xanadu Data Book vol.1 if I'm remembering correctly.

-Thomas

07-02-2013, 20:34

I also couldn't get it working, neither the cassette or disk version.

By ARTRAG

ARTRAG's picture

07-02-2013, 21:05

have you tried booting with ctrl pressed?

07-02-2013, 22:17

I tried the cassette version on an MSX1 without disk drive. No use to press CTRL then Smile

But you're right, when using the disk version, CTRL makes it work Smile

By JohnHassink