Está en el Pantano

by hap on 22-03-2010, 18:08
Topic: Software

Relevo Videogames released Está en el Pantano, a new Spanish text adventure on MSX and Spectrum, for free. From the looks of it, it's probably the successor to Está en la Caja.

Without using a translator, but knowing that Está en la Caja means It's in the Box, I'm going to claim that Está en el Pantano means It's in the Pants. Whether or not that's correct can be seen later, when Relevo releases an English version of this game.

Relevant link: Relevo Videogames

By konamiman

konamiman's picture

22-03-2010, 18:43

"I'm going to claim that Está en el Pantano means It's in the Pants"

Er... "pantano" means "swamp". But it's a funny claim anyway. Smile

By JohnHassink

Ambassador (5383)

JohnHassink's picture

23-03-2010, 01:23

Nice, good to learn Spanish with. Smile

So I went home, talked to my mother, looked into some photo album in the garage, then visited the village and died. Pity, hehe.

There's so much (!) text, must be a real pain to translate it all!

I really like the gfx style and the atmosphere it conveys.

Looking forward to the English translation; am gonna play it for sure.

Question: is there no sound at all in the game?

By viejo_archivero

viejo_archivero's picture

23-03-2010, 11:56

Nope, no sound at all. It is just that we loved to make Está en la Caja, and wanted to make at least another adventure with a different story, by using the same engine. Btw, if someone is willing to translate the texts into english, please mail me! it will be really appreciated, becuase it is too much text and I am really lazy about translating both adventures. So if someone out there is willing to have those two adventures in english, please tell! Wink
Btw, lol @ "It's in the Pants", but "It's in the Swamp" fits better tho Big smile

By JohnHassink

Ambassador (5383)

JohnHassink's picture

23-03-2010, 15:51

I might have if only my Spanish were better. Wink

Did you make the engine totally from scratch?

By viejo_archivero

viejo_archivero's picture

23-03-2010, 16:34

Yeah. It is a really simple engine: you have different "pages" of the "book", each one with its text. After the text is shown, a command follows:
1. options: you can choose options (up to 6). Each option will lead you to another page.
2. go to page: after the text is shown, a "mas..." (more) text will appear. Pressing the button you'll be redirected to a specified page.
3. you died/you won: after the text is shown, a "fin" (the end) text will appear. Pressing the button, your game is over.
Apart from the command, you have an image pointer. If zero, there is no image, and if it is another number, the image with that number into a list will be shown. There are 2 different types of images:
1. normal images: for example, the game title. Full image is definied.
2. mirror images: most of the images of the game. Just the left side is defined inside the code, and the right side is hflipped by the engine.
And that's all Wink. I mean, talking about the engine: then you must build a catchy story to make the adventure interesting Smile

By viejo_archivero

viejo_archivero's picture

23-03-2010, 16:46

well, and the routine that shows the texts is a bit tricky, as it checks for the empty characters left in order not to crop a word, so if there is no room for the next word it will go to a new line of text. Also, when the limit is reached, the text box scrolls to show a new line when needed.

By JohnHassink

Ambassador (5383)

JohnHassink's picture

23-03-2010, 17:51

That is quite interesting, viejo_archivero.

With Trilobyte, we were originally planning to make a text adventure for MSXdev '09 using an MSX-adapted version of the CYOA package:

It would have been called "Delirium Tremens"; a film noir-styled murder detective about a heavily alcoholic Chicago private eye during the period of the USA alcohol prohibiton:

...but we abandoned it.

By viejo_archivero

viejo_archivero's picture

23-03-2010, 18:22

A real pity, as my engine is indeed based on those CYOA story books. The thing is that I would need to make a huge cleanup in the game engine sources before even thinking about release it so anyone can build an adventure...

By Huey

Huey's picture

24-03-2010, 15:38

@Demonseed: Abandoned? I'd say Hyper-Frosted Tongue
I still would like to develop it further some day (as we already have a full working ,non-MSX, prototype and a suitable editor). But first things first.

@viejo: Perhaps you could use the 'EDIT-GAME' editor by Jon Ingold for making your CYOA's (linky)

By lionelritchie

lionelritchie's picture

27-03-2010, 15:36

muffie is making a great clone called esta en el culo.

By viejo_archivero

viejo_archivero's picture

28-03-2010, 20:18

I hope that what's in the ass (está en el culo) is just shite, lol! btw, same for portugese, if some is willing/can translate the thing, just contact me Wink

My MSX profile