Griel's Quest for the Sangraal (MSXdev'05 game)

by pitpan on 13-12-2005, 23:18
Topic: Software

Karoshi Corp. has presented its second finished game for the MSXdev'05 game development contest: Griel's Quest for the Sangraal, a logic maze game in which you control Sir Griel, a brave knight who starts the quest for the Holy Grail, required to destroy the Evil Lord, who has awaken again. Use wisely the magic objects to destroy the monsters, find the magic key and unlock the magic portal!

With this release, there are now 14 finished entries out of 25 registered entries in the MSXdev'05 competition. The deadline has been set on December the 20th. Expect new game releases very soon.

Relevant link: MSXdev'05 status page

By viejo_archivero

viejo_archivero's picture

14-12-2005, 00:11

Woa, another one!. Hope you like this game, is quite funny!. Btw, someone who can fix the karosHicorp link in the newpost, please Smile

By zett

14-12-2005, 06:58

level 4 isn't that difficult... just tricky

By ro

Guardian (4122)

ro's picture

14-12-2005, 08:07

funny, it's a 15 year old game Smile (see credits intro screen)
www.robsy.net/griel1.gif

14-12-2005, 09:17

It's a 15 years old game ready to be played in a 22 years old computer Tongue

By jltursan

jltursan's picture

14-12-2005, 09:49

...played in a 22 years old computer by people over 30. Tongue

14-12-2005, 10:26

Not sure about that!
At least I can say that all team members are still under 30 Smile -but not very far from that- Sad

By viejo_archivero

viejo_archivero's picture

14-12-2005, 11:27

ehum... again... anyone can fix the Karoshi Corp website link?. It's http://www.karoshicorp.com . Thnx

By GhostwriterP

GhostwriterP's picture

14-12-2005, 17:12

I like the intro, with the scary laugh, and whow... color fadings.

14-12-2005, 18:24

Sampled sound is not difficult at all...

About colour fading, there is nothing much we can do with only 15 colours and no palette Sad

By KNM

Master (172)

KNM's picture

14-12-2005, 18:27

I´ve tested it at BCN XVIII RU and I´ve loved it.And now that I can download and play it in my MSX,i love it much moooooooreeeeeeee LOL!LOL!

(as Always... ) GREAT WORK,KAROSHI !!

14-12-2005, 22:10

Wow, superb game! Especially the very colourful graphics are stunning! Smile
Also: good animations, nice music! Smile
Sigh... what if we had this in the 80s!

And, what do our Japanese friends think of these stunning MSXDEV games??

15-12-2005, 00:39

No clue. I have never received any feedback from Japanese users Crying - only from Japanese companies Evil

But the question is: do they know that MSXdev exists? Question

And thank you for your remarks, Manuel! Smile

By dvik

dvik's picture

15-12-2005, 07:26

Wow, fantastic game. The graphics and animations is simply outstanding and sound is very good too. Robsy, did you know the game would turn out this good when you decided to give a way a TR as first price? I wouldn't be suprised if you will keep it Wink

The thing that makes this game a winner for me is that it doesn't have a single minor defect. Everything in the game is polished to perfection. Probably in the top 5 MSX1 games ever made.

By Imanok

Imanok's picture

15-12-2005, 08:38

Pretty cool game! you made a really good conversion. Keep up the good work!! Wink

15-12-2005, 10:02

Btw, I also particularly like the very pretty font. It's a bit harder to read than a standard font, but its' really beautiful. Also, the story looks very good with this font, especially because it's not pure upper case. Very flashy, very nicely done! Also, the demo graphics are very colourful and detailed. I'm not sure even Konami did this better!

The only minor things I can come up with: the background is a bit dull, being black. But then again: I think the playability will be comprimised a lot when it wouldn't be black. So, it's probably not something you'd want to change.

(One of the things that makes e.g. MoG or KV2 stunning in graphics is the nice background graphics. Compare this to Goonies!)

So: excellent game Smile

By dvik

dvik's picture

15-12-2005, 10:28

How many levels are there? I'm at 18 atm and still having fun LOL!

By BiFi

BiFi's picture

15-12-2005, 11:02

you might have noticed nemesis 3 uses a similar trick to fade colors... it isn't that hard to do yourself... the effect is still cool.

By viejo_archivero

viejo_archivero's picture

15-12-2005, 11:42

Thnx for the reactions Smile. Btw the still graphics are entirely new for this version and the musics are original and have been specially composed for this one too. Big smile

15-12-2005, 11:46

I didn't expect all these good reactions! Thank you very much for your comments. Smile

Anyway, I don't think that this game has any real chance at MSXdev'05: this year's edition has top-class productions. And there are still more games to come, such as UNIVERSE: UNKNOWN, CAVERNS OF TITAN, ESCOTOMA, MONSTER BASH and several others. Expect the unexpected! LOL!

From the already finished games I would say that THE CURE is my favourite. But, of course, I am not the judge Tongue

15-12-2005, 11:50

I'm sorry: I forgot to mention NAMAKE'S BRIDGEDROME! It is another logic/puzzle game by Buresto Faiya. I have seen a beta and believe me it is as much addictive as difficult! I should have mention it because it is in direct competence with GRIEL'S QUEST.

Of course, other games are still on the way. I just wanted to comment some games that I have actually seen. About the other projects I have no clues. Time will say!

By AuroraMSX

Paragon (1901)

AuroraMSX's picture

15-12-2005, 12:06

Excellent game :-)
I have but one remark: even though the blobs are animated, I find it hard to distinguish them from the trees. Would it be possible to make the blobs blue?

By jltursan

jltursan's picture

15-12-2005, 14:38

I haven't played the final version yet; but in the last BCN party I played the prerelease and I must agree with most of you : the game is a winner!, every quality detail is present, from a great logo/intro to pretty good graphics, sound and animations!.
If you like skooter this is for sure your game!

15-12-2005, 15:07

JL: I'm waiting for CAVERNS, you know that! I like it very much and I promise that I'll use all my holidays to reach at least level 3 Cool

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9774)

wolf_'s picture

16-12-2005, 00:45

I had the same issue which aurora said: tree almost equals blob Tongue

By dvik

dvik's picture

16-12-2005, 09:06

Fun Game LOL!

I've finished the game. Do you plan for a sequel?

By NYYRIKKI

NYYRIKKI's picture

16-12-2005, 10:03

I would keep the blops green as they were green in the original version as well... IIRC there is only one (first) level that has trees at least in 10 first levels.

BTW are these levels same as in original? It's soo long time when I played the original version trough.

I don't know about this, but I think the original game had 50 levels. Now one question: Where all those sexy magical creatures went? Smile

By Imanok

Imanok's picture

16-12-2005, 10:38

AFAIK Momonoki House released two parts of the game, one included in 'Peach Up 4' and the sequel in 'Peach Up Special'.

By SaebaMSX

Hero (533)

SaebaMSX's picture

16-12-2005, 15:41

Imanok, you are a good follower of Peach Up games, aren't you??? Tongue

By Imanok

Imanok's picture

16-12-2005, 16:00

Yes, me and my bald little friend Tongue

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9774)

wolf_'s picture

16-12-2005, 17:08

The blobs and trees could both stay green, but a slight difference could be brought by shifting the green-shades a bit between the tree and blobd.. for example, the tree's main color would be 3, with 2 and 12 being minor, and the blob's maincolor could be 2, with 3 and 12 being minor.. still green, but more different Tongue

By NYYRIKKI

NYYRIKKI's picture

16-12-2005, 21:22

... or make the red part a bit bigger and make the tree look more like triangle...

Shocked! Question Hey, I pray for James and he is not responding SadSadSad Please fix!

16-12-2005, 22:10

I'm sorry for James. I'll look it later today.

16-12-2005, 22:41

Now our friend James can be reached without problems: download the fixed version from here.

Sorry for any inconvenience :(

By NYYRIKKI

NYYRIKKI's picture

17-12-2005, 01:33

Thanx M, for geting James back to business so quickly... or should I call you Q? Tongue

BTW I have not yet said, that I love this game! It has all the original touch and even better controls... and all this on MSX1 WOW!

By dvik

dvik's picture

17-12-2005, 09:56

I don't know about this, but I think the original game had 50 levels

This version has 30 levels. The trickest for me was level 4 (or 5).

17-12-2005, 12:29

MSXdev'05 deadline is set on monday. If I have some time, I will try to add some more levels to it. I love the concept too, that is why I decided to reprogram it. I will keep you informed Wink

By dvik

dvik's picture

18-12-2005, 01:26

More levels sounds great. If you can't make it for msxdev'05 maybe you'll have some time after the competition? I really enjoyed this game Smile

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9774)

wolf_'s picture

18-12-2005, 13:05

MSXdev'05 deadline is set on monday

monday == 19dec

according to the psd, 20dec is the deadline, thus tuesday .. no time given tho.. 20dec 0:00 or 23:59?

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9774)

wolf_'s picture

18-12-2005, 13:26

PDF Big smile

18-12-2005, 13:29

Ouch! How could I be so wrong? You're right: tuesday, 20th December. By the way, games will be accepted until 23:59:59 Madrid time.