Head Over Heels - MSX2 remake finished

Head Over Heels - MSX2 remake finished

by PAC on 25-04-2016, 19:04
Topic: Software
Tags: FX Software
Languages:

It's been just over a year since we reported about this remake and although some minor issues still need to be polished we can say that finally the MSX2 remake of Head Over Heels is ready! It's expected to sell the game during the next 49th MSX users meeting in Barcelona.

In order to organize and confirm the production and final unit price of the initial batch (around 35€), the FX Software team would like to know how many people is willing to buy the game. In the same way as Batman, the MSX Cartridge Shop will be responsible of the packing. Remember that the more people interested, the better.

Here we have the final specifications:

  • MSX2 with 128KB VRAM.
  • 16 colors on screen.
  • Save mode during the game on the cartridge itself.
  • Save mode for game settings.
  • Main title screen music composed for Playsoniq's SID soundchip (SCC and MSX-MUSIC versions in development).
  • SCC+PSG FX sound.
  • Joymega support.
  • Z80B and R800 support.
  • Spanish&English versions and many surprises...

Please visit the FX's profile to contact them if you want to preorder your copy and/or follow the recent thread.

Relevant link: Video of Head Over Heels for MSX2

Media browser (5)

  • Head Over Heels - MSX2 remake finished
  • Head Over Heels - MSX2 remake finished
  • Head Over Heels - MSX2 remake finished
  • Head Over Heels - MSX2 remake finished
  • Head Over Heels - MSX2 remake finished

Comments (65)

By poke-1,170

Paragon (1756)

poke-1,170's picture

25-04-2016, 19:27

heels, not hells Wink

By Pencioner

Paladin (930)

Pencioner's picture

25-04-2016, 19:36

Any chance to buy a digital copy? Smile

By KdL

Paragon (1221)

KdL's picture

25-04-2016, 20:13

a video please??? Big smile

By PAC

Guardian (5234)

PAC's picture

25-04-2016, 20:16

poke-1,170 wrote:

heels, not hells Wink

Hahaha, my fault. Already fixed thank you! Wink

By Pippo

Champion (420)

Pippo's picture

26-04-2016, 10:55

Dear Pac,
I'm interested in the digital english version.
Please, how can I purchase that?
I may pay the same cartridge price.
Thank you for your reply.

By FX

Champion (264)

FX's picture

26-04-2016, 12:12

Sorry, but there are no plans to make a digital version.
Only cart, at least for now.
(Note that several features, like game save would be lost in digital format)
About the video, I hope upload it in the coming days so everyone can see the game in motion.
Thanks!
FX

By Pencioner

Paladin (930)

Pencioner's picture

26-04-2016, 12:36

FX wrote:

Sorry, but there are no plans to make a digital version.
Only cart, at least for now.
(Note that several features, like game save would be lost in digital format)
About the video, I hope upload it in the coming days so everyone can see the game in motion.
Thanks!
FX

Thanks for explanation. Game save is worth the shipping fee and the waiting of cartridge to arrive IMO Smile

By mars2000you

Enlighted (5495)

mars2000you's picture

26-04-2016, 12:54

Pencioner wrote:

Thanks for explanation. Game save is worth the shipping fee and the waiting of cartridge to arrive IMO Smile

It's a false argument if you want to use a digital version in an emulator, as advanced emulators have CPU state save feature.

The only real argument behind this choice of only-cartridge release : use the real thing, not emulators. Only for 10% of the MSX community.

So, I'll ignore this game. Very easy here because I dislike isometric games. But there are fans of this kind of game, and some of them will regret that a digital version is not available for a reasonable price.

By Pencioner

Paladin (930)

Pencioner's picture

26-04-2016, 12:58

I tried to use emulators some years ago but for me it's boring. No true look-n-feel. Actually, digital version flashed into MFR would do the trick. The pity is the save to disk is not available, only into some SRAM in the cartridge. I just hope shipping to Ukraine wouldn't be that much. We'll see Smile

By Ramones

Champion (264)

Ramones's picture

26-04-2016, 13:39

mars2000you wrote:

It's a false argument if you want to use a digital version in an emulator, as advanced emulators have CPU state save feature.

Mars ... you are my hero! Big smile

mars2000you wrote:

The only real argument behind this choice of only-cartridge release : use the real thing, not emulators. Only for 10% of the MSX community.

Mark this day in the calendar: I agree with you. Only 10% of "users" are real users, sadly. Smile You are no-user, remember. You are a PC user.

mars2000you wrote:

So, I'll ignore this game. Very easy here because I dislike isometric games.

I'm 100% sure that if the game was free you would be drooling here.

mars2000you wrote:

But there are fans of this kind of game, and some of them will regret that a digital version is not available for a reasonable price.

What's reasonable price for you? 0€? 1€? Please... mars... Reasonable price for digital release would be 100€.

By the way: FX! Congraturations for the new release. Good job!

By mars2000you

Enlighted (5495)

mars2000you's picture

26-04-2016, 13:59

@Ramones: Example of reasonable price for digital version can be found in the system of different price between non-digital and digital versions by Kai Magazine, another Spanish coder. And I've bought all the 4 games released by this coder in digital version. But I guess these data are not in your memory.

By Ramones

Champion (264)

Ramones's picture

26-04-2016, 14:43

mars2000you wrote:

@Ramones: Example of reasonable price for digital version can be found in the system of different price between non-digital and digital versions by Kai Magazine, another Spanish coder. And I've bought all the 4 games released by this coder in digital version. But I guess these data are not in your memory.

Sorry Mars... I forgot take my pils this morning...

Anyway... you are stating you would pay (buy) the game if the price is about 5-15€ (digital version), right?

By mars2000you

Enlighted (5495)

mars2000you's picture

26-04-2016, 15:00

I would even accept to buy a digital version of this game for 20€, even if it's not the kind of the game I like, because it's a way to support the MSX scene. Consider that several people buy a digital version and the coder can even reduce the price for the non-digital version !

But there's one coder who is so despising against emulator's users that I should not buy a digital version of his new game (if this version was available) and his name is Ramones.

By Ramones

Champion (264)

Ramones's picture

26-04-2016, 15:27

mars2000you wrote:

I would even accept to buy a digital version of this game for 20€, even if it's not the kind of the game I like, because it's a way to support the MSX scene.

So you would pay a reasonable price for a game you don't like... Yes: that's very reasonable. "Support the system"... you are Mr. Cliche. And Mr. Lies. You only want a free version of the game. And for this reason you attack the development team.

mars2000you wrote:

I
Consider that several people buy a digital version and the coder can even reduce the price for the non-digital version !

Why? I think the product cost will be the same. I don't think the producer/publish lower the price because people buy digital version.

mars2000you wrote:

I
But there's one coder who is so despising against emulator's users that I should not buy a digital version of his new game (if this version was available) and his name is Ramones.

Why pay for a digital version of my game if you can get free? Did you take your pills, mars? Remember, you can get my games free even when the games was still on sale. Smile

Anyway... I'm afraid Mr. Ramones does not want his games to run under emulation. And, by the way, Mr. Ramones no longer codes MSX because of... reasons... Wink

Please, Mars. If you say:

mars2000you wrote:

So, I'll ignore this game. Very easy here because I dislike isometric games.

Then, shut up your mouth and leave the thread, the MSX users and developer teams.

By Pippo

Champion (420)

Pippo's picture

26-04-2016, 15:27

I would be very happy for a digital version.... Smile
....and many others of the Community, I think. Smile

By mars2000you

Enlighted (5495)

mars2000you's picture

26-04-2016, 15:38

Ramones wrote:

you are Mr. Cliche. And Mr. Lies. You only want a free version of the game. And for this reason you attack the development team.

Another evidence of your despising attitude. Ask to Kai Magazine if I have bought or no his 4 games !

All the rest of your answer is only despising attitude, even against all the other MSX coders. Ah, I had forgotten you are God !

By Ramones

Champion (264)

Ramones's picture

26-04-2016, 16:01

mars2000you wrote:

All the rest of your answer is only despising attitude, even against all the other MSX coders. Ah, I had forgotten you are God !

if I'm the "god", then you are... the bad or the ugly? xDDD

(sorry, I think only spanish people can understand this joke) Smile

Well.. arguing with a wall is waste time, and lack of respect to the real thread new, the release of a remake of HoH. Wink End. I apologize to the users. (I can't avoid irritate Mars) Tongue

By iamweasel2

Hero (524)

iamweasel2's picture

26-04-2016, 16:03

Well, I would buy a digital version. Although I have 2 MSX machines, I really prefer to play using emulators (when I have time to do it, which almost never happens these days). I was one of msx users who bought Life On Mars digital version, and it is really nice to use reverse feature when I make a mistake (What can I say, I became a cheater with age). Wink

It doesn't seem reasonable (to people like me who lives in Brazil at least) to pay for a cartridge, wait months to receive it (*IF* I receive it, our postal office can damage / loose the product and our customs can simply use many ways to deny me the right to receive my cartridge), pay abusive taxes, just to have to dump the cartridge and play the game using an emulator. When I bought Life On Mars was really simple. I payed using Paypal and received the game by e-mail. It was fast and cheap, with no headaches.

I understand the developers' wish that people buy a cartridge version (It is really nice to have a cartridge of a game you worked) and their concerns about piracy if they release a digital version. I only feel sorry that we can't have both ways (a cartridge and a digital copy).

By hap

Paragon (2020)

hap's picture

26-04-2016, 16:04

no mars vs ramones mud wrestling under this line hopefully

--------------

Nice looking remake Smile

By Akiguchi

Hero (608)

Akiguchi's picture

26-04-2016, 16:17

I'm buying the physical copy, thank you.

By FiXato

Scribe (1520)

FiXato's picture

26-04-2016, 16:47

Quote:

Main title screen music composed for Playsoniq's SID soundchip (SCC and MSX-MUSIC versions in development).

I guess there won't be a way to update the physical media when the SCC and MSX-MUSIC versions are finished?

By raulsantacruz

Hero (530)

raulsantacruz's picture

26-04-2016, 23:17

I can't wait for the release of the remake HOH. Other excellent work from FX. Please, continue giving us your excellent work. Too many people are waiting for you!!! Don't pay attetion to anything else or anybody!! Wink

By FX

Champion (264)

FX's picture

26-04-2016, 23:42

FiXato wrote:
Quote:

Main title screen music composed for Playsoniq's SID soundchip (SCC and MSX-MUSIC versions in development).

I guess there won't be a way to update the physical media when the SCC and MSX-MUSIC versions are finished?

Yes, there's a way to update the cart if will be necessary, but the final product are ready to June (for meeting of Barcelona) and I hope to have them for that date.
There is all finished (only remain the SCC and FM initial music).
The pre-order are to calculate the units necessary and receive the pay at about one week to start the production (there are printing cost, assembly of the cart and case, etc...)
Thanks for your interest
FX

By Ramones

Champion (264)

Ramones's picture

27-04-2016, 09:37

iamweasel2 wrote:

It doesn't seem reasonable (to people like me who lives in Brazil at least) to pay for a cartridge, wait months to receive it (*IF* I receive it, our postal office can damage / loose the product and our customs can simply use many ways to deny me the right to receive my cartridge), pay abusive taxes, just to have to dump the cartridge and play the game using an emulator.

Correos (spain postal service) has a service with insurance. If the shipment is lost or broken, Correos return the money back. But is a bit more expensive, of course.

iamweasel2 wrote:

When I bought Life On Mars was really simple. I payed using Paypal and received the game by e-mail. It was fast and cheap, with no headaches.

Yes. But this is not a Kai release and the author decided sell only physical copy. The question is... you would pay the same price (like said Pippo) for the digital copy?

By Pippo

Champion (420)

Pippo's picture

27-04-2016, 13:14

Dear Ramones,
if you want, you can sell the digital version.
I think, the purchasers won't give the game to nobody.

By Ramones

Champion (264)

Ramones's picture

27-04-2016, 14:20

Hi Pippo!

Pippo wrote:

Dear Ramones,
if you want, you can sell the digital version.

I can't. Smile Is not my game. Wink This is a FX decision.

Pippo wrote:

I think, the purchasers won't give the game to nobody.

I can not know that...

By fernandomanuel.garciagarcia

Master (182)

fernandomanuel.garciagarcia's picture

27-04-2016, 17:31

Congratulations FX for your hard work!
I really do like this game and I really do want the cartridge release regardless different opinions. Just thinking of you are the author, the guy who spent plenty of hours front of your computer so I repect you decission about how you want to release it.
FX, keep up your outstanding work mate! Big smile

By Oscar

Guardian (567)

Oscar's picture

27-04-2016, 21:37

First, congratulations to Fx and Guantxip for this another great release. I already reserved one! I think there is no reasonable prices for the work that projects like that needs.
And because I am a bit old and retro, I hate digital distributions, DLCs and things like this. I like the real thing, but I respect other people's prefrences, of course. If it is a matter or money, because MSX is not cheap at this moment (lots of releases and hardware... and if you like to collect...) I understand the people that can't afford physical copy but lots of new games are available to download. At the end, how to release a game is a developer's decision, respect that.
I don't like to see people are fighting when there is a release, be positive please! Wink

By valkyre

Champion (416)

valkyre's picture

27-04-2016, 23:42

Well said!

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

29-04-2016, 17:12

Newspost updated with a video Wink .

By iamweasel2

Hero (524)

iamweasel2's picture

28-04-2016, 18:23

Ramones wrote:

Correos (spain postal service) has a service with insurance. If the shipment is lost or broken, Correos return the money back. But is a bit more expensive, of course.

Brazilian postal office has insurance too. I use it always to avoid problems (which happens a lot here in Brazil), but I must say it doesn't feel right to pay more money to be covered in case they loose/damage your package. Aren't they supposed to take good care of any package without insurance? It seems like I'm paying twice for the same service.

Ramones wrote:

Yes. But this is not a Kai release and the author decided sell only physical copy. The question is... you would pay the same price (like said Pippo) for the digital copy?

Although it would seem that a digital copy should be a little cheaper (there's no money spent with the cartridge/manual/box etc), yes, I would pay the same price. But this discussion is pointless, since the author won't sell a digital copy. I respect their decision, so no Head Over Heels remake for me.

By Pippo

Champion (420)

Pippo's picture

28-04-2016, 18:38

Well said! Smile

By iamweasel2

Hero (524)

iamweasel2's picture

28-04-2016, 19:30

Anyway, I hope someone decides to do the same job with Simcity for ZX. It was ported to MSX by Daniel Caetano, and since it is not an action game, it can really benefit from a makeover, maybe it could be done using even screen 8. But even if it can't be done using screen 8, it would still look beautiful in screen 5 or 4. Smile

By mars2000you

Enlighted (5495)

mars2000you's picture

28-04-2016, 19:40

By Pippo

Champion (420)

Pippo's picture

28-04-2016, 20:37

Thank you very much to both of you. Smile

By Sander

Ambassador (1845)

Sander's picture

29-04-2016, 11:20

Excellent news!

Quote:

Main title screen music composed for Playsoniq's SID soundchip

Count me in for a copy! Smile

By dracul

Master (154)

dracul's picture

29-04-2016, 23:36

I'd like a copy too! How can I pre-order?

By FX

Champion (264)

FX's picture

30-04-2016, 00:49

Hi dracul:
You can send me an mail to mi email's profile and inform you.
Thanks
FX

By iamweasel2

Hero (524)

iamweasel2's picture

30-04-2016, 05:08

Thanks Mars, I'll try Construction Craze.

By Pippo

Champion (420)

Pippo's picture

30-04-2016, 06:40

Many thanks from me too. Smile

By sd_snatcher

Prophet (3044)

sd_snatcher's picture

30-04-2016, 16:08

Congratulations, FX! It's always good to see the Spanish gems being remade for the MSX2. Keep them coming! Big smile

I already have your Batman for MSX2 and now I'll certainly get the HoH for MSX2.

By wyrdwad

Paladin (787)

wyrdwad's picture

02-05-2016, 06:00

Man, I'd love to buy this, but I'm certainly not going to be able to make it to Barcelona! I assume copies will be sold internationally through the MSX Cartridge Shop too, though, no? And will Batman MSX2 ever be restocked there, or has that ship sailed completely at this point?

-Tom

By QBee Sam

Master (201)

QBee Sam's picture

02-05-2016, 18:25

Simply fantastic, thank you very much for so impressive work!!!

By Daemos

Paragon (1670)

Daemos's picture

02-05-2016, 19:01

So how much time do we have for the preorder? I need to wait for the end of the month.

By FX

Champion (264)

FX's picture

04-05-2016, 22:10

Thanks to all for your support.
If there are someone that I have not sent mail, or has not arrived, I would appreciate to send me a mail (see my profile) and "fix it".
FX

By FX

Champion (264)

FX's picture

07-05-2016, 13:58

I write as I said the list of interested to see if anyone is missing, or if someone has not arrived or have not seen the mail for payment.
If you do not see, I made a mistake, or you mail has arrived, please contact me, because not much time to put it into production remains.
(This list is only non Spanish people, so there is no confusion)
maurizio Pending
gianluca_lazzari Pending
Pencioner Paid
Frank Pending
Sander Pending
sdsnatcheralpha Pending
dracul Paid
Roby Paid

Thanks to all!!!

By Lazzeri

Champion (262)

Lazzeri's picture

07-05-2016, 14:09

Oh, there´s also an english thread. Smile

Since my english is better than my Spanish I´ll post here too. Sorry about the flood.

I´m interested in one copy. How should I proceed?

Thanks!

By Lazzeri

Champion (262)

Lazzeri's picture

07-05-2016, 14:11

Oh and I second the Batman question. Are you planning a second run? I´d love to get one.

By ren

Paragon (1219)

ren's picture

07-05-2016, 14:37

Very cool, looks great!
Any details on how the remake is done? By means of reverse engineering? +What about the gfx? Thx Cool

By LORe

Rookie (32)

LORe's picture

07-05-2016, 20:01

One HOH copy for me! If is possible also one batman copy ☺

By journey

Champion (367)

journey's picture

13-05-2016, 08:53

FX wrote:

I write as I said the list of interested to see if anyone is missing, or if someone has not arrived or have not seen the mail for payment.
If you do not see, I made a mistake, or you mail has arrived, please contact me, because not much time to put it into production remains.
(This list is only non Spanish people, so there is no confusion)
maurizio Pending
gianluca_lazzari Pending
Pencioner Paid
Frank Pending
Sander Pending
sdsnatcheralpha Pending
dracul Paid
Roby Paid

Thanks to all!!!

gianluca_lazzari paid this morning! Smile

By FX

Champion (264)

FX's picture

13-05-2016, 10:09

All paid.
Thanks!

By woody.cool

Supporter (9)

woody.cool's picture

26-06-2016, 09:07

Where can I get a copy of this (on cart of course) and how much?
Head Over Heels is one of my favourite games of all time and I've been really excited for this being completed ever since I was shown this at a retro show here in the UK.
Also, MSX Cartridge Shop have sold out of Batman which I'd also like to get hold of.

By valkyre

Champion (416)

valkyre's picture

26-06-2016, 09:40

@woody.cool - if you don't manage to get a copy I will bring mine to the next retro event that we do!

By woody.cool

Supporter (9)

woody.cool's picture

26-06-2016, 21:30

Cheer valkyre, I look forward to that.
Incidentally, I was at the Retro Computer Museum today and was really singing the praises of the MegaFlashROM carts that MSX Cartridge Shop have - maybe they may end up buying one.

By Colemu

Hero (531)

Colemu's picture

27-06-2016, 05:30

Interested in both this and Batman too! Great work, some of my fav Speccy games! Cool

By Colemu

Hero (531)

Colemu's picture

28-06-2016, 15:06

woody.cool wrote:

Where can I get a copy of this (on cart of course) and how much?
Head Over Heels is one of my favourite games of all time and I've been really excited for this being completed ever since I was shown this at a retro show here in the UK.
Also, MSX Cartridge Shop have sold out of Batman which I'd also like to get hold of.

Where are these Retro shows? I may want to go to the next one, if it's not too far...

By Pencioner

Paladin (930)

Pencioner's picture

09-04-2017, 23:27

Btw, as i was lucky to buy the very last musical memory mapper with the SID sound chip i tried the game with it too. While i tried it on Wavy70FD it has bugs (cracky distorted sound) and i seem it's kind of sound interference betweeen two audio chips when the sound is mixed. I'll try on MSX2 (not MSX2+) later when i have a time, to check how it sounds.

By guantxip

Paragon (1594)

guantxip's picture

10-04-2017, 09:46

The Musical Memory Mapper has not a Sid chip (Commodore 64). The chip is a PSG like Coleco or Master System.

Only Playsoniq cartridge supports Sid chip.

By Pencioner

Paladin (930)

Pencioner's picture

10-04-2017, 17:35

oh i got confused - was sure it is the same chip btw

By ppeccin

Champion (344)

ppeccin's picture

19-10-2017, 18:34

Hello!

Are there digital copies of this game in ROM format?
I would really love to test this and also the Batman remake on the WebMSX emulator, to check on the MSX2 capabilities.

Paulo

By stefA

Rookie (26)

stefA's picture

28-04-2018, 19:12

...just tried with my v9990 powergraph lite: I had a nice surprise on the second screen!

By hamlet

Scribe (2456)

hamlet's picture

29-04-2018, 00:25

Nice find, stefA!

By sdsnatcher73

Hero (529)

sdsnatcher73's picture

30-04-2018, 11:41

Does an msx cartridge slot with USB connector exist that works with emulators? I don’t think there is, would be Nice though... I like borg ‘real’, FPGA and emulated systems and all should be able to play real cartridges.

By journey

Champion (367)

journey's picture

30-04-2018, 22:14

stefA wrote:

...just tried with my v9990 powergraph lite: I had a nice surprise on the second screen!

Same for BAT-MAN !! Smile