Konami Game Collection ROM patches

by Louthrax on 14-02-2015, 12:47
Topic: Software

The Konami Game Collection ROMs, created from the original Konami disk versions, allow you to enjoy Konami's classic games with improved SCC or SCC+ musics without booting from disks and without Japanese-only menus.

Louthrax noticed that there was just a small bug in these hacked versions, causing random crashes in Knightmare and Twinbee. He did not observe that in other games, but applied the same fix everywhere.

Louthrax created patches here to fix the ROM-loader to prevent this random crash. These patches are in IPS format, you can apply them to your ROMs using LunarIPS on Windows or IPS4MSX on MSX-DOS. They should work with both SCC and SCC+ versions.

Relevant link: Konami Game Collection ROM patches

By Meits

Meits's picture

14-02-2015, 17:31

Konami didn't aways do a good job so it seems. There was already a bug in Road Fighter on the Game Collection, making it impossible to finish the final stage because the final fuel heart showed up one or two seconds to late. Bifi already patched that one once...

Actually, Konami still needs some spanking

By Louthrax

Louthrax's picture

15-02-2015, 00:29

Meits wrote:

Actually, Konami still needs some spanking

In fact Konami was not guilty for the crashes in the ROMs versions (they only released disks for the SCC+ versions). It was just a bug in the "hacked" ROM versions (not disabling the interruptions in the emulated ENASLT function).

By the way, those IPS patches were a first release, I was not super-happy with them because those are patches on hacked versions. I then released kgc2roms 1.1, which offers more options (SCC or SCC+, rom-size padding...), and takes the original Konami Game Collection disks as sources. It works on both MSX-DOS and Windows (and could be recompiled easily on Mac or Linuxes, sources are shipped in the zip). I recommend padding the ROMs to 128Kb so that they work on all emulators (it could work without padding but need to add CRC checksums in the emulators databases).

I was wondering about the interest to keep both downloads (IPS patches and kgc2roms tool). Maybe the IPS patches could be removed...

By gdx

gdx's picture

15-02-2015, 03:48

About SCC games I converted below PSG games to SCC basing myself on NanDemo SCC method by Tiny Yarou.

Games list is here

Everything is integrated into the Roms and then optimized. Only a MegaFlashRom SCC or a Mega-Sram SCC is required to run these games with SCC sound. If someone wants to make IPS patches I will put them online. The result is interesting.

By giuseve

giuseve's picture

03-03-2015, 17:31

Nice to have all the .rom you can to download.
Nice to see how many roms could be enhanced

By Paulo Volkova

Expert (87)

Paulo Volkova's picture

16-05-2015, 05:41

Louthrax.

I converted all ROM's from the 5 image-disks "Konami Game Collection" with the CRC32's recommended in "readme.txt" file, with following configurations:

kgc2roms 1.1 > Extract mode: 2 [SCC] > Patch for 64KB SD Snatcher: 1 [No] > Padding: 4 [128KB]

Everything looks fine, but when running the game "tsururin.rom" [Tsururin Kun], small artifacts appear in the image, but in DSK version everything is perfect.
See game screenshot in OneDrive link with the artifacts marked with a red circle.http://1drv.ms/1FpCCDv

By Paulo Volkova

Expert (87)

Paulo Volkova's picture

16-05-2015, 06:08

Louthrax.

I tested the "tsururin.rom" in openMSX and BlueMSX emulators, and the problem is the same.

A litle question: How to convert "King's Valley 1 (with edit mode)" to ROM, that is on the disk "Konami Game Collection - Volume 1 (1988)(Konami)(Disk 2 of 2)[SCC]"?

Thank you very much.

By Louthrax

Louthrax's picture

22-05-2015, 13:14

Hi Paulo,

Yes, I remember there was an issue like that. I should have fixed it a while ago. You'll find a new version here (will add this to the msx.org download section later) :
kgc2roms1.3

It also contains other improvements (mainly cleaning and simplifying the code in generated ROMs).

Please let me know if you find other issues with this new version !

By Paulo Volkova

Expert (87)

Paulo Volkova's picture

23-05-2015, 01:01

Louthrax, the same problem in "tsururin.rom" remains with new version (1.3) of KGC2ROMS. Sad

By Louthrax

Louthrax's picture

23-05-2015, 02:53

Ah, missed the fact that is was SCC and not SCC+ mode !

Fix here:
kgc2roms1.4

This was caused by a "false positive" in the SCC+ code detection process, leading to data corruption. This proves that sh#t can happen in automated patch process. Not too much a problem here as the ROMs are identified and that the "patch can be patched" (what I did for 1.4).

Thanks a lot for reporting that Paulo. Again, let me know if you see problems.

To answer you other question, "King's Valley 1 Edit mode" is really disk-based, unlike other KGC games, so it can't be easily patched to ROM. Maybe you could achieve to create a ROM of it with the MSX "disk to rom" tool (DSK2ROM or something), but you probably won't be able to save to disk this way...

By Paulo Volkova

Expert (87)

Paulo Volkova's picture

27-05-2015, 16:13

Louthrax.

With kgc2roms v1.4, now all seems good in both versions (SCC and SCC+).
Thank you very much for the corrections.

By AxelF

AxelF's picture

20-10-2015, 23:31

Download is broken, new download -> kgc2roms1.4

By ren

ren's picture

09-07-2016, 07:01

Is the official kgc2roms14.zip still available?

By Colemu

Colemu's picture

09-07-2016, 11:40

Surely all these great game patches should be archived somewhere on MSX.ORG
I'm certain I'm not aware of half of the patches that have been created to either enhance or fix MSX games.

It would also ensure these patches are not lost over time with broken links...

By Louthrax

Louthrax's picture

09-07-2016, 12:30

ren wrote:

Is the official kgc2roms14.zip still available?

I'll create a new section on my website next week and make all my patches online and visible. You'll find:

• Latest version of kgc2roms.
  • Xak turboR with FM sounds.
  • Aleste 2 turboR with FM sounds.
  • Might and Magic book 2 turboR with FM sounds.
  • "RAM slot" fixes for several compile games that do not work well on machines with RAM in expanded slots (like my Sony HB-F1XDJ). Games concerned are the Rune Masters, Randar III, Golvellius II and Aleste 2.

By tfh

tfh's picture

09-07-2016, 15:10

Any chance of putting the extraced (& correct) .ROM images online as well? Smile
If you want, I can host them (for you).

09-07-2016, 16:28

Weird, all these high quality Japanese games usually work fine on any MSX2....

By ren

ren's picture

09-07-2016, 19:40

That's cool Louthrax Cool ( Your site is filling up nicely with cool material..! Hannibal )

By Randam

Randam's picture

09-07-2016, 19:58

Louthrax, I know it is kinda off topic but since you are talking about some other patches for games... I was wondering as a huge fan of the game if you had a look at that fer de lance ship that is in the cas version of Elite which isn't in the disk version which you noticed a while back.

Very nice patches you have in store by the way: love to play these nice updates and turbo fixes.

By Louthrax

Louthrax's picture

10-07-2016, 01:18

Manuel wrote:

Weird, all these high quality Japanese games usually work fine on any MSX2....

Been a bit quick in my explanations: they are crashing on MSX with RAM in subslot and an external RAM expansion. Try that in openMSX: select machine "Sony HB-F1XDJ" plus "ram1mb" extension, insert ALESTE2.DSK (or any of the above mentionned game) -> crash.

The thing is Compile had its own RAM slot detection routine, which returns a different slot from the one detected by the Disk ROM. My fix is just to use the Disk ROM detected RAM slot instead of searching for it. I'm still wondering why Compile did this that way...

By mars2000you

mars2000you's picture

10-07-2016, 01:19

Louthrax wrote:

It looks like a copy protection!

By Louthrax

Louthrax's picture

10-07-2016, 01:39

Randam wrote:

Yeah, was a big fan of Elite too Smile The Fer-De-Lance 3D model is present in the data of both CAS and DISK versions of Elite (look for "Fer-De" with an Hex editor, the terminating "e" does just not appear for termination reasons). We just need to understand why it does not appear in the game (could be a bug... maybe having a look at a version close from the MSX one, like the Spectrum version could give some hints...).

By Louthrax

Louthrax's picture

10-07-2016, 01:27

tfh wrote:

If you want, I can host them (for you).

I prefer to distribute the IPS file as they can be applied to different versions (they also work on translated versions). But as the patch will be released under a "free for non commercial usage" license you are welcome to put "already patched" images online Smile

By Louthrax

Louthrax's picture

10-07-2016, 01:38

mars2000you wrote:
Louthrax wrote:

It looks like a copy protection!

Mmmm, that would be a bit weird, unless they had their own disk driver routines or something like that, which is not the case from what I have seen. My naive guess is that they kept their ROM habits when they started releasing disk games (and were not aware that the RAM slots were already set in 0F341h-0F344h).

My MSX profile