Montana John and the Templar's Treasure 1.1

by snout on 11-08-2008, 20:57
Topic: Software

The platform adventure Montana John and the Templar's Treasure has been finalized. Infinite has performed a number of updates to their MEGA Challenge entry based on most of the community comments and further suggestions from a select group of test players. The most important new elements in this version:

• added: jump sprite
  • added: no more black between screen changes
  • added: PDF manual
  • added: ROM label
  • added: space to continue during the Act II screen
  • changed: grey numbers to distinguish between O and 0 in the password menu
  • changed: the ark-shaped chest is now a traditional chest
  • fixed: bugs and minor issues in the game code
  • fixed: several bugs in the map

As the original download has been overwritten by this new version, the original challenge version has been included in this new archive.

Relevant link: Montana John and the Templar's Treasure - final

By only_69

Hero (565)

only_69's picture

11-08-2008, 23:14

Great game. The background art is excellent. Didn't like the main character Tongue

By JohnHassink

Ambassador (5353)

JohnHassink's picture

11-08-2008, 23:46

O.k., time to start playing it again then. Smile

By spl

spl's picture

12-08-2008, 08:33

Great!!

By GhostwriterP

GhostwriterP's picture

12-08-2008, 19:04

Bug fixes? I quess you guys mised one... or is it intended the kick sfx is played repeatedly in a flying kick. Wink

By ro

Guardian (4012)

ro's picture

11-08-2018, 12:09

Wow, it has been ten years already... Wolf and Edwin, is Infinite still active?

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9712)

wolf_'s picture

11-08-2018, 12:36

Not much so. Combination of other things in life, a few [censored], many ideas that remain too big, dependance on custom tools that grow out of proportion quickly enough, I kind of crave for some new music tools, the usual. Mainly the first two in the list, though.

I do have some music remake concepts that are currently in the primer, so that process wouldn't really stop. After all I did three of 'm already this year. And I've invested in some new sound libraries this year already, they need to see some good use as well. \o/

By Vampier

Vampier's picture

11-08-2018, 17:44

it's still the only game with the 'anti Vampier trainer buster' Smile

This game was recently played on a twitch stream and the response from people who never had seen the game was good. Some asked if it was La-Mulana for the MSX Big smile

By mars2000you

mars2000you's picture

11-08-2018, 18:30

Only with blueMSX, you can cheat with this game, at least if you are very careful (the corresponding cheats for openMSX are lost!)

By Grauw

Grauw's picture

11-08-2018, 22:57

wolf_ wrote:

I kind of crave for some new music tools

What kind of tools?

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9712)

wolf_'s picture

11-08-2018, 23:09

Basically, a tracker that looks like what I'm using for my remakes. Now, I know that this tracker also has a stand-alone mode, and there is or there will soon be support for tick-based tempo. E.g. how we work with interrupts. In this tracker you can open up rows to get access to all the sub rows, so you'd have access to each tick, for quick note runs, delays etc. Then e.g. openMSX should be running and listening to the MIDI port and playback whatever that tracker is sending out. Then within openMSX there should be a tool that deals with this MIDI input and handles all the instruments. Not just simple instrument stuff, but also instruments with custom int-based register changes for custom envelopes, vibratos etc. May have to work out something like that. For MSX Music, for PSG, maybe even for OPL4 (although you'd need more than one MIDI device for that, unless 16 different sounds are plenty. I have over 30 virtual MIDI devices though, so all that is no issue for me. ;) Heck, who knows, maybe even for MSX Audio and SCC.

Result:
1) I won't have to switch on my real MSX only to look at my sucky blurry annoying monitor/tv
2) I don't have any settings scan as the info in that tracker is all local
3) I can make songs as long as I want, no memory limits as I only send register changes over MIDI, not the song itself, to openMSX
4) it's basically the best tracker anyway
5) tracker storage is XML, so it's easy to read/convert to a custom format

So, in a nutshell: PC-tool does the notes, MSX tool in emulator does the virtual instrument.

By Grauw

Grauw's picture

12-08-2018, 00:19

I see, it seems we think alike Smile. I just made a new thread: Synthesix Lite FM.

Still needs some work but hopefully ready for a first release sometime soon-ish.

About those int-based register change macros, I couldn’t think of a good way to configure them without either a complex UI or sysex messages, so at least for now I was planning to just provide ADSR envelopes for amplitude and pitch, these seem to do the job for people on most of the synths out there.

My MSX profile