MSXdev '08 #7 - Tomb of Genghis Khan

by viejo_archivero on 31-01-2009, 12:16
Topic: Software

It looks like there's a wave of entries coming in. Funny thing is, that no matter how long a contest has been scheduled in advance, people all seem to start at a moment where submitting during the last days becomes inevitable!

Impulse9 has just submitted entry number seven: the hardcore platformer Tomb of Genghis Khan, starring Johny Jones. To play this game successfully, be precise when preparing your jumps, or you will fail. The game comes as 32KB ROM, with manual and ROM label. Happy Tombraiding!

Relevant link: MSXdev'08 website

By ro

Guardian (4073)

ro's picture

31-01-2009, 12:21

Funnily?

Yeah, uhm.. dunno about this game. (damn, I guess I have to RTFM)
could not even pass the snake in room 1, huh!

By AuroraMSX

Paragon (1901)

AuroraMSX's picture

31-01-2009, 13:24

Funny thing is, that some people believe that "funnily" is actually proper English... Running Naked in a Field of Flowers

(fixed)

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9747)

wolf_'s picture

31-01-2009, 13:31

If you see what we're going to submit tonite, you'll understand my state of the mind.. Tongue

-knocks the wood-

By Hrothgar

Hrothgar's picture

31-01-2009, 14:18

Hmmm, just tried the game but this one is really getting on my nerves quickly. You're hit not only by falling drops but also when they already touched the ground and you jump on it. You're hit by drops falling next to you. You're hit by drops falling on the tile to your top-left when you think you're safely standing somewhere else.

And when I jump in a hole, ending up one screen lower only to crash to death, I expect to be brought back on the last safe spot I was on before jumping. Not beginning with your next life in an already falling position so you're just killed five times in a row and it's GAME OVER...

You may call it difficulty but for me such things are also a matter of playability.

31-01-2009, 16:00

Well, personally, I'm a bit tired of games in which you just plaform around a bit and die when you hit any of the moving enemies. It's basically Jet Set Willy, Vampire, Goody, etc. Many, many of such games exist. It seems to be a popular genre in Spain, I think most of those games (but certainly not all) come from there. Correct?

By JohnHassink

Ambassador (5386)

JohnHassink's picture

31-01-2009, 23:55

Wow, some sort of supermegadeluxe Abu Simpel - Profanation! Smile
I like the look of it.

@ ro: Had the same p00p over here, but *someone* was so kind to point out to me to use the [SHIFT] key. Try it! Big smile

@ manuel: I know what you mean. Though Goody allowed you to throw bricks as well. So no pure jump/dodge stuff.

By mtini

Expert (93)

mtini's picture

01-02-2009, 18:49

Game is very dificult. Need to be more easier. Al life bar energy should help. And 'jumps' could be changed to.