MSXdev'09 - #9 Dr. Pill

by hap on 02-12-2009, 00:47
Topic: Software

The deadline is nigh, wolf_ is stressed due to an empty mouse battery, and discomeats has spilled instant chickensoup everywhere. Just in time, the Infinite way, Dr. Pill concludes MSXdev'09. Yes, that means Yukio's six games didn't make it in time, how unfortunate. Dr. Pill, Infinite's canceled MSXdev'08 entry, is a very original doctor simulation game, with humorous references to about anything wolf_ and Edwin could come up with, as sadistic as possibly imaginable.

Relevant link: MSXdev'09

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9762)

wolf_'s picture

02-12-2009, 00:50

Yes Yes *@&^# Yes. Finally this burden is gone! I could yell like Dr.Pill and curse my mouse to kingdom come!

By dvik

dvik's picture

02-12-2009, 05:12

My favorite LOL! Certainly best music and most original idea, and good gfx as well. Not sure I'll enjoy playing it for that many weeks though...

By ARTRAG

ARTRAG's picture

02-12-2009, 08:22

Great intro and SCC music!!
As SCC is not in the scoring system I'd say it goes in the msx1+ subcompetition !!
Lovely game, even if too complex for my level of attention (very low ATM).

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9762)

wolf_'s picture

02-12-2009, 11:56

Hold down F1 during boot for PSG-only music. The SCC versions are uplifted PSG tunes, meaning that the PSG versions are at least decent (no downscaled SCC music).

By JohnHassink

Ambassador (5389)

JohnHassink's picture

02-12-2009, 13:01

How did I start playing this game, intending only to take a sneak peek for the time being to see what is was like because I had to go to sleep, and found out I couldn't quit it before having tortured my patients for about an hour or so ?
Strangely addicting and addictively strange !

By boomlinde

Resident (54)

boomlinde's picture

02-12-2009, 13:08

Auf wieder-schnitzel!

By hap

Paragon (2020)

hap's picture

02-12-2009, 17:37

As SCC is not in the scoring system I'd say it goes in the msx1+ subcompetitionYes. Since you and me are the MSX1+ sub-contest donators, you agree to decide Dr. Pill wins here? If yes, then it's decided. Tongue

I tried all games, none except Dr. Pill have any MSX1+ features. No need for a poll or voting system with only 1 game. oO

02-12-2009, 21:21

hap: let's do it anyway, just for the fun of it! Tongue

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9762)

wolf_'s picture

02-12-2009, 21:24

If this is the only entry .. mm..

He wanted a poll @ MRC, I'm not even sure we can make a poll with 1 option. ^_^

By Zezus

Rookie (28)

Zezus's picture

02-12-2009, 21:30

This is the best of the lot. Best music, best graphics, addictive.
Fantastic intro. FANTASTIC. One of the best intros in MSX history ever.
And the idea is a lot of fun. A doctor office simulator without the need of any prior medical knowledge.
No MSX games should be made without Wolf's input.
Congratulations on the team.

By Edwin

Edwin's picture

02-12-2009, 21:37

Possibly there may be zero options for the poll when the game gets disqualified for being a bad influence on the children. Tongue

By hap

Paragon (2020)

hap's picture

02-12-2009, 22:46

Hold on, my conclusion was too quick (thanks for the heads up BiFi), so we have:
- Stray Cat: 50/60hz boot option + changes palette
- Menace: 50/60hz boot option + changes palette
- Dr.Pill: 50/60hz boot option + changes palette + SCC music

By Ivan

Ivan's picture

02-12-2009, 23:13

@wolf: Is Dr. Pill a pure text adventure game? I mean if it has scenes between acts/conversations.

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9762)

wolf_'s picture

02-12-2009, 23:16

It's completely text/menu driven. Don't expect huge boss monsters, multilayer moving platforms and giant blobs to kill with magic.

I see it a bit as a TV-soap, but then on MSX.. Tongue

By MsxKun

MsxKun's picture

03-12-2009, 00:02

Cow Abductors has 50/60hz switch and MSX2 palette too Wink

By ARTRAG

ARTRAG's picture

03-12-2009, 07:54

humm...
about the msx1+ sub contest, if all we can have from the other games is an alternative palette, I vote for Dr. Pill. Its scc music is great, about the rest it is up to the jury to decide.

By hap

Paragon (2020)

hap's picture

03-12-2009, 10:09

agreed

By Imanok

Imanok's picture

09-12-2009, 19:03

What a weird game! Smile
The game intro is very nice. There must be a lot of work behind all those gfx, visual fx and the great music!!.

About the game itself, really weird as I said, I guess I should have a deep read into the manual to fully enjoy it... Smile

Anyway, I think it is a strong candidate to get the first place in the contest.

By sd_snatcher

sd_snatcher's picture

07-01-2010, 22:23

Great game, thanks! The music alone is awesome! Please release a KSS file of this game musics!

By gdx

gdx's picture

04-08-2019, 10:42

The game works better on MSX1, if you replace the following bytes with an hexa editor.

- 28 by 18 at ofset 025Bh
- 8F by 87 at ofsets 0AB8h and 0AC5h

Also the slots management needs improvement. MSXs with pages spread in several slots are not supported.