MSXdev'11: #03 Night Escape

by wolf_ on 20-05-2011, 14:17
Topic: Software

The third entry is in. Sherif Hashem has made a game, entirely made in MSX-BASIC, in which you have to find your way in a not too complex maze. The catch is that this maze is only seen during its build-up. After that you'll be moving around blind, bumping onto walls. This wouldn't be so bad if not for a nasty enemy trying to catch you. It's not a very easy game. The BASIC source is provided, as well as a label. Instructions are provided in the game itself, which is available as .ROM, .DSK and .BAS.

*update* The entry has been pulled from the competition.

Relevant link: MSXdev'11 - Night Escape

By MäSäXi

MäSäXi's picture

20-05-2011, 16:14

I will have to say that I instantly recognised origins of this game. When I was a young boy and my MSX was still quite brand new, I got a book called "MSX PELIT", which was finnish translation of english book "The MSX Program Book" by Vince Apps (c) 1984 and it had several listings of BASIC games made for MSX. One game at the near the end of the book was called "PIKARI", and this game is clearly a very slightly enhanced version of that game. I know, as I typed that game over twenty years ago and I still remember how it looked and played like (and I succeeded to load it again from the tape some years agoSmile) Original game had lightning, which stroke randomly, there was no disposaple lamp. With the exception of "treasure", graphics of this game do look almost 100% the same what game "PIKARI" had, only difference is that maybe just a 2-3 pixels have changed from sprites. Sprites have the same colours too. Biggest enhancement is that Mr. Hashem has added more text. Even the sound is the same, or at least almost the same, dying/game over tune is the same, maybe it plays on slightly different pitch, but it´s the same otherwise, I think level building "tune" has been changed, if original had any sound when blocks were built. I think it played one note during built-up. Monster moving sound is just the same and player sound too.

By Vampier

Prophet (2082)

Vampier's picture

20-05-2011, 19:03

BEST MSXDEV ENTRY EVER!!!! I think I'm going to submit my retrocrap games now.

By hap

Paragon (2008)

hap's picture

20-05-2011, 19:23

shameless plagiarist caught, thanks MäSäXi =p

By muffie

muffie's picture

20-05-2011, 21:21

Vampier, Is really that bad ?

20-05-2011, 22:42

I have "The MSX Computer Program Book" by Vince Apps, 1984. The last basic game in it is called "Evasion" and fits your description. It's 186 lines of basic with mostly one statement per line.

By Dreamerm42

Hero (617)

Dreamerm42's picture

21-05-2011, 15:50

Should be a form or another competition where such games, or games in BASIC written by people with little knowledge could go to expand their knowledge and so encourage the creation of mini-games on a less serious and less professional.

I think Konamito initiative was very good for games like this, although personally I found the rules a bit restrictive to not being able to drive.

If this game is a version or copy of another is not a problem, a problem is that if it were so, the problem would be the lack of honesty.

Deberia existir una modalidad u otra competicion donde juegos de este tipo, o juegos en BASIC escritos por personas con pocos conocimientos, pudieran ir ampliando sus conocimientos y asi incentivar la creacion de minijuegos a un nivel menos serio y menos profesional.

Creo que la iniciativa de Konamito era muy buena para juegos como este, aunque personalmente encontre las normas un poco restrictivas al no poder usar unidad de disco.

Si este juego es una version o copia de otro no es problema, es problema es que si asi fuera, el problema estaria en la falta de honestidad

By MäSäXi

MäSäXi's picture

21-05-2011, 17:56

I don´t mind if someone gives the place, where revved up type-by-yourself-listing games could also be published, along original BASIC games. 2=) As long as submitters honestly say if their game is not original and tell what they have altered from original game. Maybe there could be screenshots like "before" and "after". 2=)

Thank you Manuel, I have wondered what the original name of that "PIKARI" game was since late eighties. Smile Can I ask you, that could you please type me all the original program names in order here? I would be delighted to know them all at last!!!! Big smile

21-05-2011, 23:46

Um, maybe, remind me later Smile

By muffie

muffie's picture

22-05-2011, 01:58

Someone told Sherif Hashem about this "little" already?
He has a webpage or something?

By jltursan

Prophet (2076)

jltursan's picture

23-05-2011, 20:09

My old BASIC game, "Maze Chase" is also based on this idea (remotely, as I was mainly influenced by an old Spanish TV program, not a games book). I suposse that if that game looks too close to the original, it could be called plagiarism.

By ARTRAG

ARTRAG's picture

24-05-2011, 17:18

By Vampier

Prophet (2082)

Vampier's picture

25-05-2011, 07:25

the entry has been pulled

By hap

Paragon (2008)

hap's picture

25-05-2011, 15:30

Hmz, I'm not trusting that it was really not meant for the contest, I mean, it came with a cartridge sticker and all.
Either way, no harm done, almost all of us (developers) learned it by modifying Basic games.

My MSX profile