Muffie conversions - The Three Dragon Story

by muffie on 14-11-2008, 11:17
Topic: Software

Following his announcement earlier this week, Muffie has announced the availability of his conversion of the game The Three Dragon Story, by Zemina. Interestingly, another version of the Three Dragon Story has been released as well recently.

Main differences from this version to the other conversion:

• The release is a ROM file. It will work with for instance a MegaFlash cartridge and ExecROM.
  • Nothing was changed from the original Zemina release, so the game looks exactly like the original, except when you boot the game while holding down the [1]-key.
  • In addition to cool colors, there's a frequency fix that allows European MSX models to run at full speed. To disable this frequency fix and the cool colors, hold down [2] during boot.
  • The ROM file will run on any MSX model, including a Sony HB-F500P.
  • No modern multi-colored opening screen at the beginning.

In a few days, the ROM will be available from MSX História.

Relevant link: The Three Dragon Story, the conversion by Muffie (ROM file)

By muffie

muffie's picture

14-11-2008, 11:27

cheat mode will also be available TONIGHT! Big smile

By ARTRAG

ARTRAG's picture

14-11-2008, 19:42

Nice work !! Great ! Even if I would have preferred a ADAM game ;-)

By muffie

muffie's picture

15-11-2008, 04:08

Well, two points:

1) New version with FULL JOYSTICK SUPPORT!!! Grab it from here: http://muffie.fixato.co.uk/Releases/muffttds.rom

2) About the other conversion: "removed the annoying screen blinking on last stage"
-> There's absolutely nothing annoying about that. Probably it was not emulated correctly. It's part of the original game and it is there probably to make the level more "scary". To check this feature, download my rom and let the game running without pressing anything. Game will present different phases and in one of them, You'll notice the blink.

By Thom

Thom's picture

15-11-2008, 10:14

Nice on! Muffie, obviously you're a talented coder. Have you thought of creating original content instead of converting Coleco's and SEGA's back catalogue? Don't take this the wrong way, but what's the difference between converting a cd into a mp3 and putting it on the internet for free and what you (and SLotman) are doing? I don't know anything about copyrights and such, but possibly these things are just as illegal as the average mp3.

However, can't you convert a decent football/soccer game? Now that would be nice Smile What tools are you using BTW?

By muffie

muffie's picture

15-11-2008, 11:16

However, can't you convert a decent football/soccer game? Now that would be nice What tools are you using BTW?

-------------------------
Let's answer that like Jack the Ripper, in parts:
1) What I use to convert:
PC==> Notepad++ (source code editor), Pasmo (Z80 Assembler), XVI32 (an Hex Editor), DZ80 (Z80 disassembler), OpenMSX, BlueMSX, Meisei (MSX Emulators), Meka (SMS emulator) and BloodShed Dev-C++ (to create some own small tools that make my life easier)
3RD PART SOURCE CODE: Bitbuster (for packing data) and Cool Colors palette (just the matrix)
All the other, including the Coleco/SMS sound chip emulation routines, and the slot selection routines (both not using MSX Bios) were made from scratch. Brand new.
There is not a ready tool that automatically converts a .ROM file. Although not Rocket Science, it is far away from something automatic.

2) Related to copyright reasons, you can bet that there are Copyright concerns. Not sure if it diminishes my "crime", but that's why I do it entirely for free. Anyway, makes me fell better.

3) I don't do anything original mainly because I can't create graphics, neither music. Plus, I still don't like my VDP knowledge yet. There's still a long way ahead.
You see, I asked if someone wanted to create a psg song to include at the title screen of tutankham, and still, no one has volunteered!! Smile So, I can only do such things when I RIP/CRACK music from other platform, like I did with Montezuma.

Best Regards,

By muffie

muffie's picture

16-11-2008, 04:02

Well, as I promised there's a new version with cheat mode. Just hold a special key ( from row 7 of the keyboard matrix! Big smile ) to enable a cheat mode with REALLY all weapons. Yep, other conversion, even using this sentence:
"Cheat mode... press the [HIDDEN, not going to tell it!] key to activate it, and get infinite shots, all weapons, infinite armor..."

missed three other weapons, including the two apparently best weapons of the game: The Axe and the Semi Circle. The other conversion also missed the fact that all weapons can be "upgraded" as your power bar increases.

Well, download Muffie's conversion, try just 7 different keys at start-up to enable cheat mode, choose between your keyboard or JOYSTICK, and enjoy a true complete cheat mode with all weapons at their maximum level and weapons and armor lasting forever.

New ROM is at the same place of the previous one: http://muffie.fixato.co.uk/Releases/muffttds.rom

By ARTRAG

ARTRAG's picture

16-11-2008, 17:36

Whe should we press the key you (don't) say ?

By lionelritchie

lionelritchie's picture

16-11-2008, 22:23

you shouldnt. you shouldnt cheat in games.
its DEFILING the game. Sad
this makes jesus cry.

By muffie

muffie's picture

17-11-2008, 12:56

Well, if you are Chuck Norris, you'll probably don't need the NINJA MODE to win this "easy" game!
Keep holding "one" (just one!) of the 8 keys from the row 7 keyboard matrix
You can check the matrices here:

By hap

Paragon (2008)

hap's picture

17-11-2008, 13:16

By muffie

muffie's picture

17-11-2008, 13:49

Gee, that game is a little box full of surprises!
I'll scan the RAM to find for these two new weapons! Big smile @ night, of course...

Even with those monstrous weapons, game is impossible anyway.

Was you able to find the "boots" position too?

By hap

Paragon (2008)

hap's picture

17-11-2008, 14:05

I encountered them twice (2 speed increments). I don't remember the position though: I was playing in fast forward + rapid fire Tongue

*edit* no, not gonna add a cheat finder to meisei

By muffie

muffie's picture

17-11-2008, 14:11

I found the boots too. Just once.
BTW, you're not going to implement an effective cheat finder on Meisei?

By muffie

muffie's picture

17-11-2008, 14:11

And... Wolf, why reactions does not count "points" too! Big smile

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9598)

wolf_'s picture

17-11-2008, 14:23

They do, 1 point iirc. What you see under for instance my nick (47xx some) is the amount of forumreactions. All contributions in a year are summed together to define the most active user. This total includes forumreactions, forumposts, newsreactions (like this) + double for the first post, news submit and articles.

By muffie

muffie's picture

17-11-2008, 14:40

Well, I was confused because at forum posts, It is only shown the... "Forum posts posted" as you said.

Newsposts submitted: 7
Forumposts posted: 36
Forum topics started: 5
Reactions posted: 51 + this one!

Thanks.

By ARTRAG

ARTRAG's picture

17-11-2008, 14:55

Ok the keys are:
RET
SELECT
BS
STOP
TAB
ESC
F5
F4
but when should i press the right key?
FOUND IT!!!
GREAT!!!
When the 2 extra super weapons can be used ?
pressing M I do not see them ?

By muffie

muffie's picture

17-11-2008, 15:07

Keep holding one of them during boot.
If you're right, you'll hear Casio/Muffie sound! Big smile

By OeiOeiVogeltje

OeiOeiVogeltje's picture

19-04-2013, 17:12

Ehm
i own the original cart
does this cheatcode also apply to that one or was it built in my muffie?

My MSX profile