Muffie conversions - The Three Dragon Story announced

by muffie on 11-11-2008, 18:42
Topic: Software

Today, Muffie has announced his latest conversion for MSX. This time he converted the Sega Master System version of The Three Dragon Story by the Korean company Zemina. This game was originally created for MSX, and has a lot of similarities with Konami's Knightmare. Actually this game appears to use the same Knightmare engine, making The Three Dragon Story a "hacked" version.

MSX cartridges of The Three Dragon Story are extremely rare, and there are no dumps available at the internet. Now, with this new free release from Muffie, the whole MSX community will be able to test and play this Zemina hack.

At the moment, Muffie is still in doubt whether the ROM will be released with or without any add-ons (music, intro screen, logo, etc...), add-ons will naturally make this release much more valuable! A beta version of Muffie's work will be made available to public before the end of the week. Until then: Muffie has created a video showing the converted game in action!

Relevant link: Youtube - The Three Dragon Story

By muffie

muffie's picture

11-11-2008, 20:00

Actually I think that the best option will be to leave this rom untouched.
Just some key combination during boot to show some kind of into and another combination to enable cool colors on 9938(+) vdp's..

By lionelritchie

lionelritchie's picture

11-11-2008, 22:15

SPLENDID!
You are a real pro.

By NYYRIKKI

NYYRIKKI's picture

11-11-2008, 23:27

Oh my, why we suddenly get so many games? Do we have christmas or something? Smile

11-11-2008, 23:34

Sega Master System? I think it's from the SG-1000, isn't it?

By muffie

muffie's picture

12-11-2008, 00:04

Actually it was really released for the Sega Master System, even without using SMS mode 4, which is the major difference for the SG-1000. Original is a Master System .SMS file.

By Sama

Ambassador (2060)

Sama's picture

12-11-2008, 00:17

This may be a conversion, but to me it's quite the same as the original MSX version. No offense, but one could as well just crack the MSX rom version so that Muffie could port a game that actually is not available for MSX.

I once owned a Three Dragon Story cartridge and although some years have passed since then, I fail to see any difference.

By mtini

Expert (93)

mtini's picture

12-11-2008, 00:43

Three Dragon Story was a original game made by Zemina, a south korean software maker.

Mostly Zemina games are copies / hacks of other games from many companies, like Konami, Taito, Sega for example.

But Zemina also made a few (but his own) games, like Three Dragon Story, Flashpoint and some others.

Zemina also made a Family Card, that, when connected to MSX, makes the MSX runs Famicom games.

I have some Zemina games in my little collection.

Another great conversion Muffie ! And thanks for freely liberate the .ROM ! Big smile

By muffie

muffie's picture

12-11-2008, 00:47

Well, I just converted because everyone was telling me that its virtually impossible to convince an owner of this cart to dump it...
There are several others that are not available on MSX. If you have some of them, MSX community will be very glad if you could produce a dump! Big smile

By Sama

Ambassador (2060)

Sama's picture

12-11-2008, 08:54

No, I have had quite some strange and/or rare cartridges in the past, but I don't have them anymore. Apart from that, I never found out how to (safely) make a cartridge dump Wink.

By Huey

Huey's picture

12-11-2008, 09:00

Three Dragon Story is IIRC not a Knightmare hack. But it has te same gameplay elements.

Muffie,
Perhaps gunsmoke would be a really nice one to have too. Another Korean gem for SG-1000. It's never been released on MSX as far as I know.

By ARTRAG

ARTRAG's picture

12-11-2008, 13:14

Muffie,
I've a bug report: pepper22.rom does not work on real TR
I tested it on my A1GT and it does not read the keyboard.
(I used a scc flash from padial)

By muffie

muffie's picture

12-11-2008, 14:34

Artrag, I would really appreciate if you can try this ROM file:

Actually I need to organize a repository with all ROMs in their latest versions. That's the drawback of doing several conversions in a reduced time period.

By ARTRAG

ARTRAG's picture

12-11-2008, 19:28

This version works fine !
well done!

By poke-1,170

poke-1,170's picture

12-11-2008, 19:58

hasn't this game been reviewed in an msx magazine once, back in the days ?
the houses look kinda familiar

By JohnHassink

Ambassador (5335)

JohnHassink's picture

12-11-2008, 20:18

@poke -1,170:

Yes it has, in an edition of MSX Club Magazine IIRC.

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9692)

wolf_'s picture

12-11-2008, 20:38

MSX Computer Magazine, with screenshot.

By muffie

muffie's picture

12-11-2008, 21:01

There's something that's slowing down the release...
I tried to run the game on My FSA1-ST using execrom: Freeze.
On the other games, the same happened inside emulators, running a .DSK file with execrom and converted roms, so, I was able to debug it. Now, runs perfectly using execrom inside emulators.
Apparently, my TR is the ONLY problem! Sad A friend tried the ROM on a GT and worked perfectly.
I'm dumping my TR ROMS to check for a problem, but I think I'll release the ROM file tomorrow night and ask for testing reports on different machines...

*PS* As promised, I'll release the ROM just with Cool Colors and 60hz fix on msx2 and better. To see something "Muffie Related" you'll need to boot pressing a key.

By lionelritchie

lionelritchie's picture

14-11-2008, 03:33

muffies version is better then slotman because slot likes to put his name in the games as if he was the producer of the thing. (c) icon games in the game he didnt make. will not download it. recommend EVERYBODY do the same Big smile

By muffie

muffie's picture

14-11-2008, 03:47

Plus, it was made available as .COM just not to allow ppl to create cartridges of it.
AND, will run slow as hell in European machines...

By lionelritchie

lionelritchie's picture

14-11-2008, 03:51

at least you forced him to do something. he needs some WORKOUT.

workout as in EXERCISE some caution.

in the immortal yonolulus words: "the sun doesnt know the love of a girl and doesnt now EREXIM". enough said.

By muffie

muffie's picture

14-11-2008, 04:02

Here it is. If you want to have the ROM exactly like Zemina released it, just press... NOTHING! the default is like that.
If you want to disable cool colors and frequency fix, hold "2" during boot
If you want to see a nice text about the conversion, just hold "1" during boot.

By lionelritchie

lionelritchie's picture

14-11-2008, 04:12

and there is a nice digital photo of a fat boy doing nasty stuff if you are into that kind of stuff if you press another key during boot Big smile

My MSX profile