Two new Coleco conversions from Muffie

by muffie on 17-10-2008, 14:52
Topic: Software

Muffie, a programmer from Brazil who has recently introduced himself to the world with the release of Tutankham, has just finished two new MSX games that were ported from the Coleco: Pepper 2 and Montezuma. Both ROMs are being tested right now, and should be released within the next few days. Until then, you can get an idea of the games by watching the two videos that have been put on YouTube.

Muffie has also made known that his next conversion project will probably take a while, because he will need to put his focus on transforming his conversion routines to allow 32KB conversions, changing opening sequences for cartridge versions, and including an MSX1 palette approximation on MSX2 (or higher) machines.

Relevant link: YouTube video: Pepper 2
Relevant link: YouTube video: Montezuma

By ARTRAG

ARTRAG's picture

17-10-2008, 15:23

Can this game be ported
Does ADAM have some special HW (apart ROMS) ?

By muffie

muffie's picture

17-10-2008, 15:34

AFAIK, no. So, it could be ported.
Can you send the name of the game? Youtube is blocked inside my company's internet.

By ARTRAG

ARTRAG's picture

17-10-2008, 16:04

Dragon's Lair - Coleco Adam ( ADAMEM Emulator)

By Huey

Huey's picture

17-10-2008, 16:10

Are you going to port pepper 1 too?

By muffie

muffie's picture

17-10-2008, 16:28

I just saw that the ADAM version of Dragon's Lair uses 128k.
Conversion is possible, but I would have to learn how to use Memory Mapper, Megaram or something else first. Anyway, that's a possibility in the future.

*PS* About Pepper 1, I would really appreciate if someone creates a POLL for the most wanted COLECO conversions to MSX.

By ARTRAG

ARTRAG's picture

17-10-2008, 16:34

If you want help and guide on how

1) msx Konami megaroms work
2) SCC works
3) to detect the msx vdp characteristics (eg. if you can or not change palette)

just send me a mail and I'll be happy to help you.
(I can flood you of my code)

Tongue

(NB I do not know anything about coleco and adam HW, my support is limited to msx)

By ro

Guardian (4073)

ro's picture

18-10-2008, 11:51

whattaya mean by "converted". Montezuma was an original MSX game, not?

Here's Slotman's 2007 upload (MSX) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6IdOAauk3A

By MäSäXi

MäSäXi's picture

18-10-2008, 12:59

Dragon´s Lair - WOW!!!!!!!! What A GAME!!!!!!!! Something different than those lame Konamis.... Tongue (thought Dragon´s lair´s idea is mainly just jump to left or right or up or down at exact timing, like in electronic handheld games.... but there are many much poorer (but playable) MSX games which have same idea anywayWink) I never knew there is ADAM version.... actually, I didn´t know there ARE existing ADAM games, not just prototypes which show fantastic title screen.... like ADAM´s Dungeons & Dragons demo. Or is there finished version of D&D for ADAM?

Huey and everybody else who doesn´t know it yet, there ain´t Pepper I. Don´t ask me why, I don´t know.... Question If someone proves there are Pepper I arcade, I am delighted to see it!!! Smile

And Muffie, THANKS A LOT by converting Pepper II !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My <3favourite game<3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Muffie, could you please add that missing "how-to-play" attract screen to Pepper II (Play Pepper II arcade on MAME to see what I mean) then it would be much closer to arcade original. Smile After that, there´s actually one main thing which differs from arcade, those eyes are monochrome sprites on Colecovision, while arcade eyes has (just) two colours.

Is it impossible to add just a few 8x8 sprites (actually needed sprites are even smaller than 8x8Wink) into ported Pepper II to make those eyes look like they look on arcade version? If you do it simple way, there are even NO flicker after that, just DON´T make anti-flicker routine, so new "make-eyes-better"-sprites just disappear when there are too many on same row. Smile And still you can see cool looking two coloured eyes around the screen most of the time. Smile

I mean, you don´t have to make such operation for .ROM file, but it would be VERY NICE addition on CARTRIDGE version. LOL!

If it is possible, maybe you can add one or two more special option to CARTRIDGE version, like press "9" for "ARCADE perfect" new game with few more new sprites and press "0" for original Colecovision game. Smile

But I am VERY HAPPY already for your conversion!!! Smile Thank you Muffie!!!! Big smile

By MsxKun

MsxKun's picture

18-10-2008, 14:36

Please, can you check PSG register 7 on them? And made them (and Tutankham) playable on all MSX? Big smile Nice games, appart of that!

By muffie

muffie's picture

18-10-2008, 15:26

About Pepper II, I think it should be possible, but I`m afraid that will delay the launch some time! Smile I`ll think about that after I finish Tutankham and Montezuma cart versions and after I finish my 32k conversion routine.

"Please, can you check PSG register 7 on them? And made them (and Tutankham) playable on all MSX? Nice games, appart of that!"

Can you explain me that better? Like, what have you tried to do? Running the game on a real MSX? ExecROM? LoadROM? etc....

By MsxKun

MsxKun's picture

18-10-2008, 15:53

Exactly, tried to run the game on a real MSX, my HB20P, using ODO and Execrom, also using MegaFlashROM. No way, and I know why. You need to search for RAM in any slot. Not all MSX have all RAM on the same slot. Mine has, but port $A8 on the 20P shows it wrong, it's a bit silly, i know Tongue

If i wouldn't like the game, i won't care. But rest of game is pretty nice, and I would like to play it without using emulator Smile Thanks for your work and interest to fix it Smile

By MäSäXi

MäSäXi's picture

18-10-2008, 21:35

Muffie, are you really going to make cartridge version of Montezuma´s Revenge?? As it IS released already as cartridge exactly three months ago.....!!! I know as I ordered it at same day when it was published. Wink I understand that your version has more accurate sound, but still it feels a bit strange idea as there are Montezuma cartridges already available for everybody to buy them.

Another thing which makes me wonder, is that Slotman is working on some Colecovision port already (or is it finished already?) and will publish it on November, I mean I hope you guys are not porting same games at same time.... as I feel there is no reason for any kind of "who-ports-which-game-first" as you both are not fighting software companies of the 1980s, but today´s MSX´ers who keep MSX still alive.... Smile

But it´s nice if you can even just try to make Pepper II look more like arcade original, as those graphical differencies between Coleco and Arcade are quite minimal indeed. Smile

I won´t care, if publishing of Pepper II gets delayed because of that, if I can get "Arcade Perfect" Pepper II for my MSX that way!! Cool

P.S. Muffie, there is one comment by me in the first Tutankham news. Smile

By muffie

muffie's picture

18-10-2008, 22:09

"Exactly, tried to run the game on a real MSX, my HB20P, using ODO and Execrom, also using MegaFlashROM. No way, and I know why. You need to search for RAM in any slot. Not all MSX have all RAM on the same slot. Mine has, but port $A8 on the 20P shows it wrong, it's a bit silly, i know
If i wouldn't like the game, i won't care. But rest of game is pretty nice, and I would like to play it without using emulator Thanks for your work and interest to fix it
(and about PSG reg7, im not sure BlueMSX debugger shows it ok, so maybe its OK and no need to worry. Can't remember how to check it on openMSX)"
====
After all that, I created a .DSK file with DOS + Execrom and tried to run Montezuma under bluemsx. Also no success. So, I think probably it is a problem that only happens with the ROM loaders.
At least the problem also happen inside emulators, so I'll probably be able to find a solution...

*PS* Yes, I'm intending to let MTINI launch any of my coleco conversions on cartridge. As discussed at the "Lack of Respect - AGAIN" post, I completely disagree with slotman's attitude related to selling coleco versions. As also said before, I'll "revert" profits that usually goes to the author of the software, in order for a lower final price for each cartridge.

By MsxKun

MsxKun's picture

19-10-2008, 01:15

@muffle:
>>The ROMS are already prepared to search for RAM on any slot and/or subslot. I tried on several different machines, including Turbo-R.
>>I have a FS-A1ST, and yesterday I sucessfully ran Tutankham on it, using ExecROM. I also tried on my FSA1F (MSX2) also with success.
>>I had problems to run Montezuma as well as Pepper II. Montezuma only works with LoadROM using R800 mode.

Those are machines with all the RAM in same slot. With machines with RAM in different slots, it doesn't work properly. It fails on a Toshiba too. So the search for RAM is not totally ok, how do you do it? I'd like to help, so feel free to mail me. I think it's important if you plan to sell it, cause to find a non working file is a pity if you want to play it (and i want cause the game worths it), but find a non working cartridge is really sad (or if it works but gets stuck at the Gillian Seed logo).
No clue about the other 2 games and why it only works using R800 Question Did you try loading them with ODO? It works fine. Anyway i hope you can fix it all, feel free to ask for some aditional checks, i'll be happy to help, if i can Smile

By muffie

muffie's picture

19-10-2008, 02:04

Do you have gtalk or go to IRC channels often? Let's talk there. preferably freenode -> #openmsx
You're right, the game does not detect RAM from different slots.. Actually I didn't even know that existed. You mean, 32k RAM in Slot3-0 and 32k in Slot 2-2 for example?

By MsxKun

MsxKun's picture

19-10-2008, 11:33

Exactly. That's a little percentage of machines, it's more usual to have all RAM in some slot, but it's not always like that. On my HB20P it is all in the same slot, but port $A8 shows the configuration wrong, making you think it has RAM in slot 0, which is not true, so if you try to switch all RAM to slot 0 then.... crash. I can make OUT (&HA8),240 from Basic, so then you will read the real config and it will work, but in machines with separate RAM (as Toshiba HX), it won't work.
I don't try IRC in ages, but i can try, thanks Smile

By journey

journey's picture

21-10-2017, 09:11

muffie wrote:

I just saw that the ADAM version of Dragon's Lair uses 128k.

Is it possible now? Smile