MIDIPLAY for MIDI-PAC v0.50

MIDIPLAY for MIDI-PAC v0.50

by Meits on 01-02-2013, 10:04
Topic: Software
Tags: Worp3, MIDI, MIDI-PAC

Just before the fair in Nijmegen MSX hardware developer Worp3 was talking about the posibilities of having his MIDI-Pac play MID files. He started coding straight away and was able to demonstrate his progression at the fair. As of now the music hungry audience is able to give this MIDI player a go. Note that the player is still in testing phase and far from complete. Worp3 just couldn't wait any longer to share.

The player will work fine with most single and even multi-track midi files, but:

• You will need to upgrade your MIDI-Pac to version 0.7.0
  • It can handle a maximum of 64 active tracks
  • It will not look at the denominators yet
  • There is no difference between 50Hz and 60Hz yet
  • For now a fast MSX is recommended because the player isn't optimized yet.

Relevant link: MIDI file player for MIDI-Pac

By Jorito

Mr. Ambassadors (1761)

Jorito's picture

01-02-2013, 10:41

Woei Smile

By WORP3

WORP3's picture

01-02-2013, 12:19

Don't forget to reset your MIDI equipment so now and then !
Some midi files can really change a lot of settings inside your synth which can result is strange behavior of your synth when playing other files. See your synth manual on how to reset it.
I will implement a way to use a default GM, GS or XG reset method later Smile2

By wolf_

Ambassador_ (9767)

wolf_'s picture

01-02-2013, 13:02

There is no difference between 50Hz and 60Hz yet

'yet'? I'd say it's a blessing that music plays equally fast at both frequencies..

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

02-02-2013, 09:06

!Great!

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

02-02-2013, 13:36

i´m enjoy the player for midipac with my Tr and yamaha-MU50. I hope soon one inprovement for XG for tracks and games ^^!

And Orbit.. Big smile

Thanks worp3!!!!

By WORP3

WORP3's picture

02-02-2013, 17:22

wolf_ wrote:

Something went wrong while copying the text as on my website you can read the following "it will not adjust for the 50Hz/60Hz difference yet"
So at the moment you will notice a difference between the 50 and 60 Hz mode, i will fix this in the next version Wink

mesiasmsx wrote:

And Orbit..

Thanks worp3!!!!

You are welcome, nice to hear that people enjoying the MIDI-PAC extension !

By mesiasmsx

mesiasmsx's picture

03-02-2013, 21:02

Track midi file Splash from Out Run is very nice!!

I have a dream!! Smile

By KdL

KdL's picture

04-02-2013, 01:49

TESTED!! It's very nice work!! You could get a compatible TurboR GT MIDI-OUT... to do absolutely!! Running Naked in a Field of Flowers

By WORP3

WORP3's picture

04-02-2013, 09:26

@KdL, maybe I will but first I want to fix/finish the open points.

Did someone tried the player on a standard MSX2 (@3.54 Mhz) ? If yes, did you experience a lot of slowdown during playback ?

By KdL

WORP3's picture

05-02-2013, 10:08

mesiasmsx wrote:

In Captain NTT in slot 2 with LPE SD/MMC i can´t use

Error: I can´t find MIDI PAC

In sloth 1 i cant use Sad

Can you run mpstatus.com with a not working configuration and tell me the outcome ?

By Randam

Randam's picture

05-02-2013, 20:45

Thanks for the all the work on this great program!

By jlemos

Resident (56)

jlemos's picture

07-02-2013, 01:44

It's very nice. I have one one my MSX TurboR GT.

By WORP3

WORP3's picture

13-02-2013, 23:26

Can someone try the new 0.51 version for me ?
I've added the 50Hz / 60Hz detection and it should play at around the same speed for both frequency's !
I can't check it as my one-chip isn't reacting on this vdp setting Sad

By Robosoft

Resident (56)

Robosoft's picture

15-02-2013, 13:58

Did some tests with version 0.51 on my Tutbo-R ST, 50hz / 60hz play the same speed.
Used good old Memman 50/60hz tsr.

EDIT: speed is affected when switching during playing a midi file.

By WORP3

WORP3's picture

15-02-2013, 16:36

Great, thanks !
It's normal that the speed is affected while switching between 50hz and 60hz during playback. This because i'm checking for the frequency before the midi file is starting playing.

Up to the next item on my list Wink

By anonymous

incognito ergo sum (109)

anonymous's picture

19-02-2013, 09:18

I tested one of the official YS MID files. Then, about halveway the player asked me to send the file to Worp3 for investigation. He wanted to check if the file was handled correctly. So I sent him the file, but started comparing the MIDIPLAY output to Winamp. The only difference was that MIDIPLAY played the file for 4:09 minutes and Winamp slightly won in 4:08 minutes.
I recorded both to wav and in Vegas I loaded one to a left panned channel and the other to the right. Besided having to slide the Winamp version to correct the speed a bit, the sound was identical.
MIDIPLAY just played a big MID file with ease. Great job Worp3.

By ToriHino

ToriHino's picture

18-08-2018, 13:15

Hi Worp3, your player works great but looks like it only uses the main mapper memory. Any chance in fixing this? Usually this is just a minor change in the code if you are using the DOS2 mapper calls.

On a plain Turbo-R ST it now only leaves about 80Kbytes left for the mid files, even with f.e. a MFR inserted. Luckily with the Nextor trick (holding '4' during boot) there is a workaround, but the real solution would of course be better Tongue

By WORP3

WORP3's picture

21-08-2018, 13:31

ToriHino wrote:

Nice to hear and you're correct it uses the default dos2 mapper.
It shouldn't be a problem to add more mappers if I had a bit of time for it. Unfortunately at the moment i'm having bit of a time issue to get really working on hobby projects.

By WORP3

WORP3's picture

21-08-2018, 13:33

anonymous wrote:

MIDIPLAY just played a big MID file with ease. Great job Worp3.

Thanks for this test, nice to hear it all works like it should Smile
Sorry for not replying sooner, for some reason i'm just reading this now Sad