Zone Terra declared freeware

by Alex on 24-05-2011, 23:10
Topic: Software

Today, Quadrivium declared the MSX turbo-R shoot-em-up Zone Terra freeware. Zone Terra is a vertical shooter with several astronomical MSX2+ images in the background, making it one of the few games to feature such MSX2+ graphics. Furthermore it features stereo FM Music and PCM sound effects.

For a quick peek, the Quadrivium website features several screenshots, and three YouTube videos made by FiXato.

Relevant link: Quadrivium section on MSX Plaza

By sd_snatcher

sd_snatcher's picture

25-05-2011, 01:43

Nice!!! Thanks for this!

Except for the CHGCPU and system-timer, does the game uses any other resource that would make it impossible to run on a turbo MSX2+? The PCM sounds wouldn't play (if not modified it to use a covox), off course.

By ant0niutti

Master (159)

ant0niutti's picture

25-05-2011, 01:43

Great!
Thank you.

But loader says "ZONE TERRA demo, loader 1.1" Question

By FiXato

FiXato's picture

25-05-2011, 13:58

It's a nice game. Smile
Just a shame it takes such a bloody long time to finish, otherwise I would've re-recorded it again with the missing MSX Music channels. Smile

By Grauw

Grauw's picture

25-05-2011, 20:18

Zone Terra, heh, that was long ago Smile.

By Alex

Master (205)

Alex's picture

25-05-2011, 21:10

Regarding the message in the loader: it's misleading. I have now triple-checked the contents of the disk image (the zt.sec file) and it is the full version; in the demo version that file is only 200 kB while on the full version its 400 kB.
The reason for the misleading message in the loader is probably that I forgot to adapt it. I only used it on my own computer (for several years) in order to load it without having to put zone terra on a copyrotected disk. I guess that I got so used to the message that I completely overlooked it, even yesterday when performing a final test before uploading it to the MSX plaza.

I'll fix the loader coming weekend.

Cheers,
Alex

By ro

Guardian (4045)

ro's picture

26-05-2011, 08:46

Thanx Alex for sharing yet another fine piece of software from your hands Smile

By tcruise

Master (131)

tcruise's picture

26-05-2011, 14:22

Thanks Alex, from a fellow shooter coder Smile Will enjoy playing this one!

By FiXato

FiXato's picture

26-05-2011, 17:17

Alex, are you sure you don't mean 'freeware' instead of 'public domain'?
As far as I know PD means that *anyone* can redistribute it, whereas Freeware only states it is free to be used without a fee, but still can have restrictions such as limitation of the channels through which it will be published (which appears to be the case for Zone Terra).

By Alex

Master (205)

Alex's picture

26-05-2011, 22:26

@fixato: good point. I indeed mean freeware. I did not realize this subtle but important difference between public domain and freeware. I have meanwhile updated the wording on the MSX Plaza.

By snout

snout's picture

27-05-2011, 00:07

Dito for MRC newspost! Smile

By Alex

Master (205)

Alex's picture

29-05-2011, 12:03

Loader on the disk image is fixed to provide a less confusing message
I have also added a PMA archive for easy installation on an MSX harddrive attached to the real machine.

By Imanok

Imanok's picture

30-05-2011, 20:57

Thanks for sharing, Alex Smile

It's a really hard shooter! (^^!)

My MSX profile