Penguin Wars 2 translation

by max_iwamoto on 20-12-2009, 18:47
Topic: Translations

It's only five days until Christmas and to spread the holiday cheer, MSX Translations treat you to a small patch for the MSX2 ball throwing game Penguin Wars 2. Fans of penguins and arcade action may want to check it out. Aside from the translation (though there isn't that much text), the patch features:

• a bug fix so the internal MSX-Music will be recognised on MSX2+ and Turbo R computers as well
  • a bug fix so you can save to the (FM-)PAC's S-RAM on MSX2+ and Turbo R computers
  • a feature to enable R800 mode for all you guys who thought the Emperor Penguin was a pushover

There's also a separate patch if you only want to apply the bug fixes to the Japanese version.

Relevant link: MSX Translations

By KdL

KdL's picture

21-12-2009, 01:38

my external fm-pac was purchased to play this game! Smile uahahah

By KdL

KdL's picture

21-12-2009, 02:31

Emperor Penguin cheat: [M] + [RETURN] entering to any stage of game Wink

By sd_snatcher

sd_snatcher's picture

21-12-2009, 04:43

Thanks for another excellent translation. Smile

The only problem I detected is: On the R800 mode, the game speed goes haywire. Isn't there a way to fix the timing routine so the player can enjoy the benefits of the turbo (smother animations with less flicker, quicker change screens etc) without the gaming running too fast?

By Vampier

Prophet (2049)

Vampier's picture

21-12-2009, 07:19

the translation brough a bug in cbios to light... bifi jumped on it and fixed it Big smile

I had fun playing this game as a kid and I still have fun playing this game

By Randam

Randam's picture

21-12-2009, 08:41

@SD_Snatcher: Max said that it was possible but that you'd have to reprogram a big part of the game to reap the benefits of the R800 mode without the game running too fast. Perhaps some day someone will fix this, but for now we kept it in like this.

@Vampier: great to hear that the bug is already fixed.

By Hrothgar

Hrothgar's picture

21-12-2009, 11:13

The Rom file I have is corrupted by this patch, and it's not possible for me to extract the Rom from the cartridge I have.

Hurray for copyrights.

edit: found a working copy after all. Thanks for the patch!

By Hrothgar

Hrothgar's picture

21-12-2009, 12:55

Damn! That emperor is still as hard as he was 19 years ago!

By Imanok

Imanok's picture

29-12-2009, 16:26

Nice translation Smile

A great reason to beat the game again! Wink

My MSX profile