Konami's Salamander Pimped Up

Konami's Salamander Pimped Up

van ro op 09-11-2016, 08:06
Onderwerp: Software
Talen:

Software house Konami has released many gems for the MSX system, including some wonderful vertical shooters. One of them is Salamander; maybe the hardest of them all. This MSX1 game has been upgraded recently, but only for MSX2 systems. One of the upgrades is soft-scrolling.

MRC user Victor has released the Salamander IPS Patch which upgrades your existing Salamander .ROM with the following changes:

- smooth scrolling and bug-fixes;
- turbo FIX, Dynamic Vsync, Ripple Laser FIX, new colors;
- voice SET (with second SCC inserted);
- Gradius 2 included to get the "Crystal Breeze" for a happy end;
- invincible mode;
- and in-game keys for extra options.

Display help screen by pressing [H] on boot. Access these extra options by pressing the following keys on boot:

  • [F] Toggle VDP frequency
  • [C] Cool Colors disabled
  • [E] English texts in game forced
  • [J] Japanese texts in game forced
  • [V] Voice Set disabled
  • Invincible (for cowards)
  • [B] Bad ending forced, Gradius 2 disabled (no Venom Stage, no Crystal Breeze)
  • [CTRL] Female Voice Set (from G-Gaiden)
  • [CTRL+SHIFT] Male Voice Set(from G-Gaiden)

In gameplay paused (with F1 key):

  • [S] Change gameplay SPEED (3 levels)
  • 1: Faster (only with Turbo CPU), 2: Default, 3: Slower
  • [P] Change colors PALETTE (3 levels)
  • 1: Flavour Colour (one per stage)
  • 2: Original MSX1 colors
  • 3: Cool Colors by FRS

Player 1 Voice Set:

  • [F2] Default voice
  • [F3] Zowie Scoot
  • [F4] Iggy Rock

* For IPS Patch use this original ROM: [i]Salamander (1987) (Konami) (J).rom with SHA-1 0d459788b6c464b50cbc2436e67a2cef248e0c4a

* Known issues:
- Some enemies don't move correctly with scroll... Sorry...

Play this new version of Salamander on a MSX2 or higher (recommended Turbo CPU).

This upgrade is a collaboration of Victor, WYZ, ARTRAG, FRS and Toni Galvez

Download the Salamander IPS Patch File.
The modded game can be played online on File-Hunter.
Or, watch Vampier's longplay of it on YouTube.

Relevant link: Salamander Smooth-scroll IPS Patch forum topic

Reacties (27)

Van Metalion

Paladin (1006)

afbeelding van Metalion

09-11-2016, 09:57

Fantastic work indeed ... Kudos !!

Does the smooth horizontal scroll works also on an MSX2 ?
Or does it require the MSX2+ ?

Van tiziano.s.marcozzi

Rookie (24)

afbeelding van tiziano.s.marcozzi

09-11-2016, 11:17

NICE!!

Van Victor

Champion (469)

afbeelding van Victor

09-11-2016, 12:27

Metalion wrote:

Fantastic work indeed ... Kudos !!

Does the smooth horizontal scroll works also on an MSX2 ?
Or does it require the MSX2+ ?

MSX 2 or MSX2+

Van djh1697

Paragon (1409)

afbeelding van djh1697

09-11-2016, 13:42

Can this be downloaded in .ROM format? Ready to go?

Van tfh

Paragon (1808)

afbeelding van tfh

09-11-2016, 13:45

djh1697 wrote:

Can this be downloaded in .ROM format? Ready to go?

I doubt MRC will put a direct link to such a .ROM file, but... If you go to the site where you can play the game online, it shouldn't be to hard to find a way to download the .ROM they use.

Van syn

Paragon (1920)

afbeelding van syn

09-11-2016, 16:59

Direct links are allowed, admin said so here https://www.msx.org/forum/msx-talk/software/pdi-files-pack?p...

Van Latok

msx guru (3685)

afbeelding van Latok

09-11-2016, 19:01

Thanks, tfh, I was searching for this ROM. Finally am going to play it myself! Smile

Van tfh

Paragon (1808)

afbeelding van tfh

09-11-2016, 19:47

Latok wrote:

Thanks, tfh, I was searching for this ROM. Finally am going to play it myself! Smile

You're welcome Smile Have fun: The patch made the game even more amazing!
BTW, using Lunar IPS, applying the IPS file is really a piece of cake. But if even that is to hard for someone, just look at the source of the Salamander page @ www.file-hunter.com ;-)

Van wolf_

Ambassador_ (9769)

afbeelding van wolf_

10-11-2016, 22:18

Say, over the years, I wondered why it's called 'Salamander'.

Doesn't look very scary to me. In fact, Konami has drawn a bit of a mutant snake, I think. Even more solid than Solid Snake, I think. Can't they do anything right there? :hannibal:

Van ricbit

Champion (437)

afbeelding van ricbit

11-11-2016, 02:14

Giant fire salamanders are part of the japanese folklore.

Van frederic.markus

Expert (77)

afbeelding van frederic.markus

11-11-2016, 10:09

Incredible work. Could you explain how you did the smooth scroll on msx2?
Smile

f.

Van frederic.markus

Expert (77)

afbeelding van frederic.markus

11-11-2016, 10:14

Oh sorry, I didn't see the machine was setup to msx2+, the shaking border are there on msx2. Was wondering how you could solve that one without multiplexing sprites at the edge that were already taken by the game.
Fantastic work again. Love playing this version!

f.

Van J-War

Champion (412)

afbeelding van J-War

13-11-2016, 19:07

Congrats ! Running Naked in a Field of Flowers

Van giangiacomo.zaffini

Champion (267)

afbeelding van giangiacomo.zaffini

14-11-2016, 09:01

I tried on Panasonic FS-A1ST turbo-R with MegaFLASHRom, and it is great and working! (well for voices addition, I guess a second SCC/SCC+ cartridge is needed, so I couldn't enjoy this.)

Van WORP3

Paladin (804)

afbeelding van WORP3

14-11-2016, 18:36

This is actually quite nicely done, congrats Big smile

But how did they manage to handle those tyle based objects from shifting ?

Van Victor

Champion (469)

afbeelding van Victor

14-11-2016, 20:11

WORP3 wrote:

This is actually quite nicely done, congrats Big smile

But how did they manage to handle those tyle based objects from shifting ?

Thanks!!

Most of tyle based objects in this game, change its position each 8 frames, so It's just question of adjust the scroll each 8 pixels each 8 frames... and others like shots, change its positon each frame... so that's no problem.

Van WORP3

Paladin (804)

afbeelding van WORP3

14-11-2016, 21:14

Victor wrote:
WORP3 wrote:

This is actually quite nicely done, congrats Big smile

But how did they manage to handle those tyle based objects from shifting ?

Thanks!!

Most of tyle based objects in this game, change its position each 8 frames, so It's just question of adjust the scroll each 8 pixels each 8 frames... and others like shots, change its positon each frame... so that's no problem.

But that is exactly what I mean, if the game was shifting those tyles based object each each irq's or with one background karakter shift this will work perfectly. But if you shift all of those background tyles including those tyles based objects on each irq one pixel at once, why aren't those tyles based objects (when they move in a different direction then the background) also shifting back and forward with those single pixel shift ?

Just wondering Smile

Update:
Ohh, looking a bit closer it seems that those tyles based objects are indeed shifting back and forwards together with the background, you can see in the youtube movie at: 9:30 min (Enemy) and 19:43 min (Rocks).

But still great job improving an already very good game Big smile

Van tfh

Paragon (1808)

afbeelding van tfh

14-11-2016, 21:26

BTW, positively suprised about the number of visitors that have visited the "play online" page. Wouldn't have expected that number (close to 450 unique IP's).

Van Victor

Champion (469)

afbeelding van Victor

14-11-2016, 21:35

WORP3 wrote:

Ohh, looking a bit closer it seems that those tyles based objects are indeed shifting back and forwards together with the background, you can see in the youtube movie at: 9:30 min (Enemy) and 19:43 min (Rocks).

Yes... I know... those objects move each seven or six pixels for example... I've tried to correct that... but I'm not able... for that reason I've wrotten in the info TXT:

* Known issues:
- Some enemies don't move correctly with scroll... Sorry...

Van WORP3

Paladin (804)

afbeelding van WORP3

15-11-2016, 13:31

Victor wrote:
WORP3 wrote:

Ohh, looking a bit closer it seems that those tyles based objects are indeed shifting back and forwards together with the background, you can see in the youtube movie at: 9:30 min (Enemy) and 19:43 min (Rocks).

Yes... I know... those objects move each seven or six pixels for example... I've tried to correct that... but I'm not able... for that reason I've wrotten in the info TXT:

* Known issues:
- Some enemies don't move correctly with scroll... Sorry...

Don't say sorry, it's a wonderful job that you did ! Besides that, you won't even notice it while playing the game Smile
I was just wondering how it was fixed but it seems that almost every tyles based object are moving in sync with the background.

Van Victor

Champion (469)

afbeelding van Victor

15-11-2016, 14:00

WORP3 wrote:

Don't say sorry, it's a wonderful job that you did ! Besides that, you won't even notice it while playing the game Smile
I was just wondering how it was fixed but it seems that almost every tyles based object are moving in sync with the background.

Thanks...

Yes, the final result is fine... But it is not perfect.... I was able to correct the movement of those objects... But then they didn't collide with the player and bullets... Now I'm working with Gradius 1...maybe I can find a solution meanwhile...

Van cesar guerra

Supporter (5)

afbeelding van cesar guerra

16-11-2016, 13:34

It would be possible to make the same in Nemesis 1, 2 and 3?

Van Victor

Champion (469)

afbeelding van Victor

16-11-2016, 13:52

cesar guerra wrote:

It would be possible to make the same in Nemesis 1, 2 and 3?

Take a look at the previous answer... Now I'm doing the same with Gradius 1

For Gradius 2, years ago, FRS did an amazing version with smooth scroll.

Van ro

Guardian (4118)

afbeelding van ro

16-11-2016, 14:13

What I am interested in, is the methods used to inject your code to coexist with the original. How did you do the reverse engineering, just plain-ol' debugging? As an MSX-asm-coder I'm trully amazed at this level of skills. Changing sourcecode of others is hell, let alone assembled data! respect all.

Van tfh

Paragon (1808)

afbeelding van tfh

16-11-2016, 15:07

cesar guerra wrote:

It would be possible to make the same in Nemesis 1, 2 and 3?

Nemesis 2: http://www.file-hunter.com/MSX/Nemesis2.html

Van meckert

Rookie (18)

afbeelding van meckert

23-11-2016, 09:29

Hi, I tried to make it run via SofaRun using Philipc VG-8325 with 8bit4ever's SD512 cartridge. After mapping the rom all I get is a blue screen. Any tips on how to get it running ? The file is patched correctly, because it runs fine under emulation.

Van Kosher-X

Supporter (6)

afbeelding van Kosher-X

19-08-2019, 18:01

Hi. I just discovered this today while browsing on Youtube. I tried to patch the Salamander game and it works fine with the smooth scroll, but no voices whatsoever being played. I'm using the BlueMSX emulator, but I don't think it's the emulators fault because videos from this game on Youtube were made with it.

Someone tried this with BlueMSX and everything working fine?

Update: ok, I discovered that I need a second SCC cart in the emulator. No worries. Please, ignore my question.