Wiki editing discussion

Pagina 60/90
53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65

Van sd_snatcher

Prophet (3348)

afbeelding van sd_snatcher

05-03-2020, 01:31

rderooy wrote:

@sd_snatcher perhaps you can add your screenshot to the wiki page for now?
https://www.msx.org/wiki/Sanyo_MLP-001

Done! Sorry it took so long. Free time was scarce.

Van rderooy

Paladin (683)

afbeelding van rderooy

05-03-2020, 17:18

sd_snatcher wrote:
rderooy wrote:

@sd_snatcher perhaps you can add your screenshot to the wiki page for now?
https://www.msx.org/wiki/Sanyo_MLP-001

Done! Sorry it took so long. Free time was scarce.

I have added the picture also to GenMSX.

Van sdsnatcher73

Paragon (1138)

afbeelding van sdsnatcher73

07-03-2020, 13:22

About the NMS8220 (which I have now sitting on my desk and is very nice). In the Wiki it is listed as being manufactured by Kyocera. This kind of makes sense as they made the VG8020 series, however when I looked at this image (also from the Wiki):

There is however a NEC logo in the top right corner (between JN3 and J7). NEC made the VG8235 (according to the Wiki again) so it would not be unfeasible Philips turned to NEC for the NMS8220. What do you think?

Van mars2000you

Enlighted (5693)

afbeelding van mars2000you

07-03-2020, 13:29

sdsnatcher73 wrote:

About the NMS8220 (which I have now sitting on my desk and is very nice). In the Wiki it is listed as being manufactured by Kyocera. This kind of makes sense as they made the VG8020 series, however when I looked at this image (also from the Wiki):

There is however a NEC logo in the top right corner (between JN3 and J7). NEC made the VG8235 (according to the Wiki again) so it would not be unfeasible Philips turned to NEC for the NMS8220. What do you think?

Thanks for noticing this detail on the PCB (not obvious at first sight)!

I've updated the Wiki page.

Van Wlcracks

Champion (430)

afbeelding van Wlcracks

07-03-2020, 13:46

the ROM has been branded Kyocera.
NEC made there own z80's and this is a original Zilog.
getting more confusing.
edit: U12/logic array is branded Kycera too. Maybe only the board has been manufactured by NEC?

Van gdx

Prophet (3739)

afbeelding van gdx

07-03-2020, 14:12

The NMS-8245 PCB has many similarities to the NMS8220 and VG-8235. The manufacturer is probably the same for all three models.

Van hamlet

Scribe (3225)

afbeelding van hamlet

07-03-2020, 15:48

My 8235 and 8220 are NEC branded, too.


Very interesting to see how the PCB design had to use the same connection points as the 8020:

Van Piter Punk

Master (220)

afbeelding van Piter Punk

08-03-2020, 03:54

The Philips models with NEC marked PCB's are from Kyocera. Don't know if Kyocera third-partied only the PCBs manufacture or the all assembly to NEC.

Van sdsnatcher73

Paragon (1138)

afbeelding van sdsnatcher73

08-03-2020, 06:13

Piter Punk wrote:

The Philips models with NEC marked PCB's are from Kyocera. Don't know if Kyocera third-partied only the PCBs manufacture or the all assembly to NEC.

I’m not saying you are wrong but am really interested in your source of that information. I think it’s odd that Philips would turn to two OEMs with such similar models but it’s not impossible of course. Kyocera turning to NEC for producing boards is also not unheard of, but having a NEC logo on the board more likely means NEC designed the board not just produced it.

Either way the VG8235 was listed in the Wiki as being produced by NEC, that would be wrong than if your statement holds.

Van sdsnatcher73

Paragon (1138)

afbeelding van sdsnatcher73

08-03-2020, 06:28

What I also noticed is that the NMS8245 mainboard has a lot of similarities to VG8235, e.g. CPU, ROM, MSX-Engine placements, but then VDP is in a completely different location (and apparently no NEC logo on the board, although the images are less good of that mainboard). Just my observation, it seems relevant in the whole NEC / Kyocera mix somehow.

Pagina 60/90
53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65