MSXdev21 #19 - S.O.L.O.

MSXdev21 #19 - S.O.L.O.

van MSXdev Team op 16-07-2021, 20:27
Onderwerp: Challenges
Labels: msxdev21, MSXdev
Talen:

MRC user Roolando, creator of The Relic enters the MSXdev21 compo with his new platform puzzle game called S.O.L.O.
It is entry number #19, but with this abundance - who's counting anymore?

In this space adventure, planet Tartessos is under attack by an asteroid. Lead your droid S.O.L.O. (meaning Slot One, Level One) through the perilous screens to make your escape.

Contestants have until the end of August to submit their entries. If you are enjoying this MSXdev game, why not consider donating to the prize money. 100% of the donations will go to the game developers.

The MSXdev21 contest runs from Jan 1st to Sep 1st, 2021.

Relevant link: S.O.L.O.
Relevant link: Play online

Reacties (23)

Van Grauw

Ascended (10007)

afbeelding van Grauw

16-07-2021, 22:04

Wow, good, but hard! Smile

Van Pippo

Champion (505)

afbeelding van Pippo

16-07-2021, 23:07

Excellent game and Pdf, Roolando! Big smile
Graphics and music very good! Big smile
An authentic Msx Jewel! Big smile

Van saccopharynx

Master (165)

afbeelding van saccopharynx

17-07-2021, 02:03

I haven't played much yet, but it seems a great game. I like the music!

Van shalafi

Resident (38)

afbeelding van shalafi

17-07-2021, 09:50

I like it a lot!
Funny enough, my own entry (under review) is also a platformer with a robot as main character... and your designs are way better than mine :-D

Van roolandoo

Rookie (32)

afbeelding van roolandoo

17-07-2021, 10:49

Thank you very much for the positive feedback.
I just wanted to comment that the game has this cover and I don't know why it was removed from the ZIP archive of the contest.

Greetings.

Van santiontanon

Paragon (1433)

afbeelding van santiontanon

17-07-2021, 19:42

Very nice, and hard indeed!!! I've only played twice so far, and made it to the 4th room, I like that the robot can equip different power ups (flying, shooting, etc.). I'll be playing more later! Very nice!!

Van CASDuino

Master (220)

afbeelding van CASDuino

17-07-2021, 20:27

I've made some CAS files of the ROM and I'll put a link up.
Because it's a 48k ROM it will need POKE -1,170 before the BLOAD"CAS:",R command.

Van rvanzon

Rookie (17)

afbeelding van rvanzon

17-07-2021, 21:08

It's a great game! Congratz.
I would drop the lives system though. Starting over in a level over and over is hard enough Wink

Van roolandoo

Rookie (32)

afbeelding van roolandoo

17-07-2021, 21:31

Hi rvanzon,
When you reach certain levels, all lives are renewed.
Greetings.

Van Pencioner

Scribe (1463)

afbeelding van Pencioner

18-07-2021, 22:39

The game is great, fun gameplay, and both graphics and music are of quality

roolandoo wrote:

I just wanted to comment that the game has this cover and I don't know why it was removed from the ZIP archive of the contest.

My guess is that use of MSX logo is kinda forbidden without permission from ASCII so it got removed to protect MSX dev against any claims

Van shalafi

Resident (38)

afbeelding van shalafi

18-07-2021, 23:40

shalafi wrote:

I like it a lot!
Funny enough, my own entry (under review) is also a platformer with a robot as main character... and your designs are way better than mine :-D

I played a bit more and it is growing on me... once you get really familiar with the rooms, you can get through them, but it takes a lot of tries the play through.
I love the design and how colorful it is. A top contender for this year indeed.
Very difficult, it reminds me of Temptations on that aspect.

Van roolandoo

Rookie (32)

afbeelding van roolandoo

19-07-2021, 01:16

Pencioner wrote:

My guess is that use of MSX logo is kinda forbidden without permission from ASCII so it got removed to protect MSX dev against any claims

Ahhh OK ... I was unaware of that. If I found out, I would have removed the MSX logo.
Thanks

Van roolandoo

Rookie (32)

afbeelding van roolandoo

19-07-2021, 01:32

shalafi wrote:

I played a bit more and it is growing on me... once you get really familiar with the rooms, you can get through them, but it takes a lot of tries the play through.
I love the design and how colorful it is. A top contender for this year indeed.
Very difficult, it reminds me of Temptations on that aspect.

Thanks friend.
Once you learn the dynamics of each screen it is not such a difficult game.
Although it is true that I have a tendency to develop old school games, hehehe

Van Grauw

Ascended (10007)

afbeelding van Grauw

19-07-2021, 02:30

Pencioner wrote:
roolandoo wrote:

I just wanted to comment that the game has this cover and I don't know why it was removed from the ZIP archive of the contest.

My guess is that use of MSX logo is kinda forbidden without permission from ASCII so it got removed to protect MSX dev against any claims

Really…? Nishi

Maybe around the time of the “MSX revival” in the 2000s with the release of the 1chipMSX that would’ve been an issue in certain circles, but I don’t think anyone really cares about that anymore. Also, if this were important I’m sure they would’ve asked about it. The MSXDev contest rules don’t mention it either, and they also use the logo without trademark notice on their website so… I doubt that was the reason.

I think it’s better to hear from the person who uploaded the archive. Probably it was just an accidental omission during repacking.

Van roolandoo

Rookie (32)

afbeelding van roolandoo

19-07-2021, 02:28

In any case, it is not a particularly important issue, really.

Van mzoran

Master (131)

afbeelding van mzoran

17-08-2021, 13:45

when playing on a real msx1 I noticed some missing graphical data, as if the game is sending data to vram at <29 cycles per byte

Van roolandoo

Rookie (32)

afbeelding van roolandoo

18-08-2021, 13:25

mzoran wrote:

when playing on a real msx1 I noticed some missing graphical data, as if the game is sending data to vram at <29 cycles per byte

Hi MZoran,
I have tested the game on quite a few real MSX and have not had any problems.
If you are using SOFARUN you may have to try to change some settings.
Greetings.

Van mzoran

Master (131)

afbeelding van mzoran

18-08-2021, 15:53

Actually no problems with the game itself, only on the very first stage, when you move the robot and then that large message pops up. Some bytes are black randomly.

Van tono4

Supporter (15)

afbeelding van tono4

18-09-2021, 14:00

I love this game!
I love the music, the colorful graphics and, specially, the mention to Isaac Asimov, my favorite writer when ado.

I reached 5th screen, but I still don't understand why I get killed sometimes. I will keep trying.

Congratulations, this game is a gem!

Van roolandoo

Rookie (32)

afbeelding van roolandoo

18-09-2021, 15:02

tono4 wrote:

I love this game!
I love the music, the colorful graphics and, specially, the mention to Isaac Asimov, my favorite writer when ado.

I reached 5th screen, but I still don't understand why I get killed sometimes. I will keep trying.

Congratulations, this game is a gem!

Thanks tono4,
The fifth screen is a kind of miniboss from the end of "The Hangar" phase.
You have to kill all the enemies on that screen by taking the electric shot upgrade.
Note that these enemies need several shots each to be destroyed.

Good luck and greetings!!

Van tono4

Supporter (15)

afbeelding van tono4

18-09-2021, 18:47

Already in organic area. I'm hooked to this game!

Van tono4

Supporter (15)

afbeelding van tono4

19-09-2021, 12:22

I'm stuck here. I think I'm missing something.
Can anybody support?

Van tono4

Supporter (15)

afbeelding van tono4

19-09-2021, 13:57

Done! But it is soooo tight jump over the robot.