"Weird ROMs" launching

Страница 11/14
4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | | 12 | 13 | 14

By Guillian

Prophet (3233)

Аватар пользователя Guillian

27-01-2016, 12:00

gdx wrote:

This is a very bad summary. It lacks the context in your quotes and you distorts everything. It serves no purpose to continue.

Yes, it makes sense all the people is wrong but you are right.

Try to make a better summary. But all this is a waste of time. You will never acept you are wrong.

By gdx

Prophet (3084)

Аватар пользователя gdx

27-01-2016, 12:07

I also explained you my raisons but you ignore all. You're stuck on "you are wrong".

By mars2000you

Enlighted (5515)

Аватар пользователя mars2000you

27-01-2016, 12:14

Ramones wrote:
mars2000you wrote:

And in this question, the most important word is 'best', this word does not mean 'perfect'.

You can't write a program that just load with the best option, because it's possible that ROM load fails. As coder I think you want always perfect method.

'Aiming to perfection' does not mean 'Reaching perfection'. That's why I think that even the emulator that aims to perfection (openMSX) will never reach the perfection. It's like the paradox of the arrow that makes the middle of the way to its goal, then the middle of the remaining way, etc ... This arrow will never reach its goal, although it aims to it and is still closer to it.

That's exactly the same in this discussion when you extend the existing roms to all ever possible roms that you can imagine. Replace the emulator or the arrow by the utility to load roms.

By Ramones

Champion (264)

Аватар пользователя Ramones

27-01-2016, 12:25

mars2000you wrote:

'Aiming to perfection' does not mean 'Reaching perfection'. That's why I think that even the emulator that aims to perfection (openMSX) will never reach the perfection.

Are you saying that play on emulators it's a crappy thing? Evil

mars2000you wrote:

That's exactly the same in this discussion when you extend the existing roms to all ever possible roms that you can imagine. Replace the emulator or the arrow by the utility to load roms.

Of course it's not possible write a perfect ROM loader. But there are enough and easy methods to achieve a good loader:

- Strange size? -> pad the ROM to next "standard size"
- Strange mapper, I can't detect it -> Use a database or similar to recognise that ROM and load without problem.
- Add parameters on your tool. /A8 /A16 /K4 /K5 /whatever to manually load.

OPF uses this methods years and years ago. Of course isn't perfect. Always can appears a new unknown ROM. Then you only need add to your database and update your ROM loader. Hard job? I think no. Because unfortunately no new ROMs every single day.

By Guillian

Prophet (3233)

Аватар пользователя Guillian

27-01-2016, 12:31

gdx wrote:

I also explained you my raisons but you ignore all. You're stuck on "you are wrong".

I was answering the original question (mapped and not mapped ROMs)
Please, explain me your reasons to your answers:

gdx wrote:
Guillian wrote:

A ROM file does not contain enough information to exactly know how it works (i.e.: where it is located)
Depending on how the ROM is connected to slot signals, it will be mirrored, located at page 1, at page 2, etc.

A ROM file contains enough information if it is not mapped. The problem is that we must juggle slots, add mirrors and find a good method of execution. 100% is not possible on all media (RAM, MegaRam, Megaflash,...).

Guillian wrote:

BIOS searchs for ROMs only at pages 1 and 2

No, the BIOS searchs in all banks of all slots.

An answer like "you can know how a ROM exactly work always (except mapped ROMs, except the ROMs I have not tested, except INK that is weird, except....) "Except" means you can't be 100% sure now a ROM exactly works.

So, please, argue why "A ROM file does not contain enough information to exactly know how it works" is wrong.
(BTW, emulators need a database to identify the ROMs or options to manually select how to load/launch them)

By mars2000you

Enlighted (5515)

Аватар пользователя mars2000you

27-01-2016, 12:33

Ramones wrote:

Are you saying that play on emulators it's a crappy thing? Evil

Not really, but I was pretty sure that my harpoon was excellent ! Wink

Quote:

Of course it's not possible write a perfect ROM loader. But there are enough and easy methods to achieve a good loader:

That's exactly the difference between 'perfect' and 'best', to come back to the original question ! Smile

By Jipe

Paragon (1366)

Аватар пользователя Jipe

27-01-2016, 12:38

don't miss the harware solution
if you speak french see this topic : http://www.msxvillage.fr/forum/topic.php?id=2849&pt=1
you see CPLD version of my cartridge made by Fabf
just a little "bug" : i have no SCC sound on the board ;)
"en France on a pas de pétrole mais on a des idées"

By gdx

Prophet (3084)

Аватар пользователя gdx

28-01-2016, 01:56

Guillian,

How often do you inent to quote the same bits of texts which I have already answered and you always ignore the explanations? oO
You are distressing. Do you absolutely want a general case as answer?
In this case, the answer may disappoint you again because: Yes, we can make a loader that exectute all existing Roms (MegaRoms included) AND Yes, someone can always make new non-executable Roms by all existing loader. Everything is possible with time, knowledge and patience. Wink

By Guillian

Prophet (3233)

Аватар пользователя Guillian

28-01-2016, 09:53

Don't try to go off topic talking about "improving" a ROM loader, because that is not the point. I already said in my first post (the one you said was not right) that you can guess most of the times how to load a ROM. And in cases you can't guess it, you can add a database or similar to identify the ROM and load/patch it correctly.

I quote the same texts because those are the cause of the discussion. And you reject to answer because you know you can't argue in order to defend what you say.
I proved that it is not possible to know in all cases how a ROM works only checking its size and header (ROM2MMM failed to load my simple test ROM). Other quite experienced MSX users told you the same. You don't want to accept it due to your ego, perhaps a problem or deny or whatever, I don't know. But I can't help you with that, sorry. (^^!)
I can only try to explain you how an MSX and a ROM work. If you can't or don't want to understand it up to you.

By Grauw

Ascended (8513)

Аватар пользователя Grauw

28-01-2016, 11:20

Hasn’t this back-and-forth lasted long enough by now? Smile

Let’s give it a rest Smile.

Страница 11/14
4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | | 12 | 13 | 14