"Weird ROMs" launching

Страница 7/14
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12

By Guillian

Prophet (3233)

Аватар пользователя Guillian

24-01-2016, 14:04

That is in fact a lack of respect.

By hap

Paragon (2021)

Аватар пользователя hap

24-01-2016, 14:24

That was a fun read, thanks stubborn guys Wink

By Jipe

Paragon (1366)

Аватар пользователя Jipe

24-01-2016, 14:58

Just a question: is what Roms 24K and 48K exist in real cartridges support ?

By mars2000you

Enlighted (5515)

Аватар пользователя mars2000you

24-01-2016, 15:16

I know at least one real 48kB MSX commercial rom : Sakhr Files by Sakhr/Al Alamiah with ASCII8 mapper (*) (exists in 2 versions, one for MSX1 Arabic, one for MSX2 Arabic, the last one is also build-in, slightly modified, in the Sakhr/Al Alamiah AX-500 computer).

I don't know real 24kB MSX commercial roms, but this format exists on SG-1000 and ColecoVision, that are very close to MSX1.

(*) Contrary to the 'general rule', you can have mapped roms with a size smaller than 64kB (and there also non-mapped roms of 64kB).

By gdx

Prophet (3084)

Аватар пользователя gdx

26-01-2016, 07:24

Below are the notes I gathered during ROM2MMM development. Guilian will be happy. He'll have a lot of work to verify all. Wink

The following commercial Roms not exist:

  • 24KB Roms
  • 40KB Roms
  • 48KB Roms on bank 4000h~FFFFh
  • 48KB Roms with two headers
  • 48KB Roms with a fake header
  • 64KB Roms with a fake header
  • 64KB Roms with two headers
  • The mapped Roms smaller than 64KB

Only some unusual commercial Roms exist:

  • 32KB Roms on bank 8000h~FFFFh (Green Beret, Hype and Jet Bomber from Al Alamiah)
  • 32KB Roms on bank 0000h~7FFFh with its header at 4000h (Athletic Land Version Beta, some Roms from Korea or Thailand)
  • 32KB Roms with two headers (Droids The White Witch, Point X Senryou Sakusen S.F.3.D., Sewer Sam, Xevious The Micro Xevious)
  • 32K Roms on bank 4000h~BFFFh with its header at 8000h and sometime an empty header at 4000h (Basic Nyuumon II, Burgertime, Courageous Perseus, Eagle Fighter, Eagles 5, Lot Lot, Morita Kazuo no Othello, Shogi game, The Demon Crystal, Thunderbolt, Trump aid)
  • Dooley The Little Dinosaur has a Rom of 32KB that use an anti-piracy protection. It don't work because it.

Notes:

  • The Rom of MSX Bunsetsu Henkan Jisyo have only an empty header. I think it is a Rom integrated in a MSX or a cartridge with other Rom inside.
  • Galaxian (Hi-com) from Screen Software is an 32K Rom not an 8K because this Rom is also supported by the Sega Master System. Some other Roms from Korea or Thailand are same.
  • Monster Fair, Ninja-Kun Majou no Bouken and Space Camp have an empty header at 8000h
  • Hero, Keystone Kapers and Zenji are not a 32K Rom but a 16K with mirror. (some other 32K Roms are in fact 16K. Cannon Turbo, some dumps from Korea, Magic Writer, Mini Golf for example)

The following homebrews or games from tape or disk converted to ROM not exist:

  • 24KB Roms
  • 32KB Roms on bank 0000h~7FFFh
  • 32KB Roms on bank 8000h~FFFFh
  • 40KB Roms
  • 48KB Roms on bank 4000h~FFFFh
  • 48KB and 64KB Roms with two headers
  • 48KB and 64KB Roms with a fake header
  • The mapped Roms smaller than 64KB (except Joe-Blade thx Ramones)

Only some unusual Roms from homebrews or games from tape or disk converted to ROM exist:

  • 32K Roms on bank 4000h~BFFFh with its header at 8000h (Beez)
  • 32KB Roms with two headers (Desolator, Leonard, Pairs and a few games improved by me, Penguin Cafe, Space Crussader, Swing)

Notes:

  • The headers of Leonard can not indicate if the roms is on bank 4000h~BFFFh or 8000h~FFFFh. This is the only ambiguous case found but 4000h~BFFFh is selected by default so works.
  • Ink has a size of 48KB. It seems to work works on a 64KB flash Rom AMD without Mapper. It writes data on the flash Rom.
  • There are several homebrews/convertions that I have not tried because I cannot buy/obtain all and many developers prefer to throw it than to release it for free. Crying (Oups, it's a hint for Guillian to demonstrate that I may be wrong. Big smile )

By gdx

Prophet (3084)

Аватар пользователя gdx

26-01-2016, 08:37

Quote:

Some other Roms from Korea or Thailand are same.

Not Thailand but Thaiwan.

By Ramones

Champion (264)

Аватар пользователя Ramones

26-01-2016, 09:44

gdx wrote:

[*]The mapped Roms smaller than 64KB (except Joe-Blade thx Ramones)

There are about 50 different ROMs with sizes 24, 56, 72, mapped. I used it (and convert) for AAM Collections (Dinamic, Topo, etc...).

Also these.

gdx wrote:

[*]There are several homebrews/convertions that I have not tried because I cannot buy/obtain all and many developers prefer to throw it than to release it for free. ;( (Oups, it's a hint for Guillian to demonstrate that I may be wrong. :D )

I agree with these developers. :) What ROMs are you saying?

Anyway the point isn't if there are ROMs now. The point is that, could to have ROMs with those sizes. ( < 8, < 16 < 32 < 64). And I think it's very easy to support in Rom2MMM.

ROM format, as you know, isn't a specification but raw file. There is not official documentation about the format because is not official and is not a "format" as, for example, is .BIN MSX file. Therefore, ROM format, has not enough info of hardware works.

Your hard job (hard!) demonstrate last sentence. You have needed hours and hours to collect the info you are posted.

I think, to continue arguing/discussing about you are wrong or Guillian is wrong, is waste time. The fact is this: ROM file has not hardware info.

By mars2000you

Enlighted (5515)

Аватар пользователя mars2000you

26-01-2016, 09:45

gdx wrote:

The following commercial Roms not exist:

The mapped Roms smaller than 64KB

Wrong ! You don't have read my previous message.

By Guillian

Prophet (3233)

Аватар пользователя Guillian

26-01-2016, 09:50

I fell like Bill Murray in Groundhog day.

gdx wrote:

Below are the notes I gathered during ROM2MMM development. Guilian will be happy. He'll have a lot of work to verify all. Wink
....
(Oups, it's a hint for Guillian to demonstrate that I may be wrong. Big smile )

I don't need to waste my time doing it. Actually you have done it with your post. Smile

But I find funny the way you explain things:
- 100% ROM do xxxx (except yy and zz)
- Any ROM does xxxx (except yy and zz)
- There is no ROM that xxxx (except yy)
It is like saying "I won the race (only 1 person was faster than me)" Running Naked in a Field of Flowers
That is the different between "100% of the cases" and "most of the cases". That is what I said (^____^)

By gdx

Prophet (3084)

Аватар пользователя gdx

26-01-2016, 10:32

Ramones wrote:

There are about 50 different ROMs with sizes 24, 56, 72, mapped. I used it (and convert) for AAM Collections (Dinamic, Topo, etc...).

It's your personnal collection or it is avalaible somewhere?

Ramones wrote:

I think, to continue arguing/discussing about you are wrong or Guillian is wrong, is waste time. The fact is this: ROM file has not hardware info.

I not continue it but I release my notes in response to Jipé and help Louthrax.

mars2000you wrote:
gdx wrote:

The following commercial Roms not exist:

The mapped Roms smaller than 64KB

Wrong ! You don't have read my previous message.

What are the titles?

Страница 7/14
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12